It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Basspro classic UL reel.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:16 am • # 1 
I got a bunch of gift certificates for basspro for x-mas and ordered this reel. I'm hoping it will take care of my shorter light rods. Anyone use one before? they seem to be pretty well made. Just glad the quest is over.
Janus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:23 am • # 2 
Administrator

Brian,
I don't own one, but I have seen it and heard of others who like this reel. In fact, Jerry just paired one up with a new rod- I'm sure he could tell you more. I'd like to hear what you think.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:11 am • # 3 

I have played with one Brian...they are smooth, and if you are ambitious, you can tune the pawl spring to suit your preferences.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:32 am • # 4 
Administrator

I have one Brian and I really like it. It's a well built, and nice looking, little reel. I got the last silver one from our local BPS. There's not a lot of tension on the clicker so you can overrun the spool if you strip line off in a big hurry, but it's really not a problem. I already took mine apart to see if I could adjust it, and it looks like you could swap out the spring with something heavier if you're handy. I'll leave mine alone though, it works fine for the rod I have it on, and at 2.2 oz. it balances nicely.

Here's a shot of it on my 0 wt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:49 am • # 5 
Just got the reel was suprised by the size of it. I have never owned a reel with such a small diameter. Very well made though and will work well on a short 2wt.
Janus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:13 am • # 6 
Administrator

Cool Janus! I hope it works out well for you. It *is* a very small reel. The picture I posted is deceptive--the grip on that rod is very short so it makes the reel look larger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:01 pm • # 7 

Janus. That rod is begging for a 2" reel. The Classic is a nice reel though. I checked into getting a replacement spring through BassPro but apparently there are no parts available for them. The Dennison with no click overruns less than the Classic. If you have any gift card left you might want to get some of the Mini-DT lines while they are still available. Don

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:57 pm • # 8 
Oh man 2" ha! can I put bands on both sides and wear it on my wrist?!?! ha! It's freaky for me to see reels this small but it all makes sense when It comes to the weight of the rod...can the Classic take a whole 2dt? that's what I need on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:59 pm • # 9 
Administrator

B, your bringing that reel to the Expo so I can check it out right? I gotta see one of these.
By the way, do you know when your going to be there? I'll most likely be there very early. I'll probably be hanging around the general area of Fly Reel dots, the furling board, and Joe Cornwall's table. All three will be close together.
J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:29 pm • # 10 
J yes I'll bring it. I'll be there around 10 or 11 . I think you would like this little reel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:10 pm • # 11 

Brian and J...you all have me wanting to fly to Cleveland tonight to go to that expo.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply