It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Cabelas TQR rods
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:03 pm • # 1 

Hello all, Like most of us, I get excited when the new Cabelas catalog arrives in the mail each year. My wife hates it because I spend hours flipping through the pages to see whats new for the coming year. This year something caught my eye when I noticed the new TQR rods. Nice looking, rod for under $120. I like a 7 to 7.5 rod for an ultra light and I see they have a 7 ft 2wt and a 7.5 3wt. .........anyone else curious!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:13 pm • # 2 

I was extremely curious! I got the catalog at night and I went to see what the store had... Not gonna get them at the La Vista store until SPRING!!! Stupid!

I have been eyeing a 2-wt very seriously. I am leaning to the TFO Professional. This TQR rod may halt my purchase. Seems kinda redundant to discontinue the Clear Creek series and replace it with a fancy TQR acronym for the "same" types of rods.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:17 pm • # 3 

I got my catalog today too. Looks like these are the clear creek replacements. No 1 wts in this series. I like the cork reel seats. Also a 5' 2wt for tiny water. The new L-tech rods are crazy with no reel seat inserts, although there are no ultra lights. The new Echo Carbon series looks cool too with a 7'2" 2wt and a couple of 3 wts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:21 pm • # 4 
Administrator

No 1wt eh?
I wonder why, Is that there's not enough of a market or is is hard to produce a true 1wt?

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:26 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Nope no 1wt Les. My catalog came today as well. It's not hard to make a true 1wt, there is however a limited market for them in this 5wt world.
I also noticed that they don't list the Sage TXL in the catalog this year, or the new Sage Click reels. Whats up with that?

J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:33 pm • # 6 

I think not enough market. A 2wt is pushing it for bluegill in my area and is not practical on the White river system for trout. That's what I fish. 1 wt is too light where I live. I like Cabela's 5' 2wt. Could be useful for tiny creeks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 pm • # 7 

didn't notice they didn't carry TXL. That's weird. Also they don't carry the 8' 2wt ZXL. They do carry the last of the Sage XP's.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:12 am • # 8 
Administrator

Yeah I saw that too. Maybe the catalog was printed before the ZXL 2wt came out. Sage TXL rods and blanks are still available on their website.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:30 am • # 9 

They are in the market to sell rods, not keep them on hand in case we want them. I like the LST 2wt Scott!

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply