It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:27 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I know a few of you guys have this rod (the model number on the rod is FL843-3) so I have a question or two for you.

I've spent the last two days fishing this rod and my Sage 7' 9" LL 2 wt. back to back. I almost always overline the Sage because it's a pretty fast little rod and even with a 3 wt. line you can throw very tight loops and punch casts out way past 40', but it still loads fine with 10' of line out.

What I've noticed is that the Lamiglas feels underlined with a 3 wt line until you get out to 30' or so. I've tried it with two different 3 wt lines--an Orvis Silver Label DT, and a brand new Wulff TT. It feels the same with both. I was casting a size 12 weighted nymph yesterday in a little bit of wind and it just wasn't handling it very well. I thought maybe it was the wind until I switched to the Sage (same fly) and had no problems at all.

Today I took the Lami out with a 4 wt line and it felt like an entirely different rod--it loaded better and seemed to cast better, even at longer distances.

Do any of you guys who own this rod, overline it?

Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:58 am • # 2 
Administrator

Jerry I have over lined mine once with a Cortland 444 Peach WF4F, and yes it cast very well with that line. I do feel though that the rod is a 3wt, and according to CCS numbers, it is a light 3wt (I did the CCS #'s myself). I use a Hook & Hackle DT3F on mine and I'm very happy with it's performance in the 10-50 foot range. I've used an Orvis Wonderline WF3F and didn't care for the way it cast that line as the rod seems to prefer very supple lines, at least in my opinion it does, and the Orvis line is stiffer than the Cortland's.

Dave Lewis at Performance Fly Rods builds these rods too, and labels them as 3/4wt's. In the end it's all about what you feel best using. If you like it better with the 4wt line, then by all means use it. The rod will handle that line no problem.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:09 am • # 3 

I had a 4wt Lamiglas rod and I felt that it was accurately rated, however, it really liked a WF5F line.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:41 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback guys. Initially I thought it was just the Silver Label DT3 line which seems to be a little clingy on both the rods I fished with it, but when the TT3 arrived and felt the same way I was very surprised. If I come across another 3 wt line for cheap then maybe I'll give it a shot, or perhaps if Les and I meet up to fish I can try his 3 wt line.

I have nothing at all against 4 wt's--I just happen to have two of them already, and if it comes down to a choice between fishing the 7' Lami or my 6'9" Sage LL, I think the Sage will always win out :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:04 pm • # 5 

I don't have any 3wt or 4wt lines to try on my lami 843 2piece. I have been using a SA ultra 4 DT5 (buckskin tan) that I picked up a couple of years ago on closeout. It seems to cast it pretty well for normal fishing distances and mod. sized flies. I will fish up to a size 6 foam popper or a lightly weighted bugger with this combo. The 2 piece is probably a little faster than the 3 piece blank.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:28 pm • # 6 

Nice...using a DT5F on a 3wt? How does it feel for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:32 am • # 7 

The Standard Lami blanks to me feel underlined for their proscribed line weights. Frankly just about everybody's blanks and rods are too by my tastes. I usually end up overlining the listed weight by a line weight, sometimes two weights. So saying the Lami's are fine blanks, both the two piece tip over butt and the three piece spigot ferruled versions. I built a small battery up for my grandsons over winter 2007/8. I think personally the 3wts worked best and loaded easily with a DT4wt for roll casting and a WF4wt for sight casting easily to 50ft.
While Ive not built every blank made or owned every ultra light rod made, I will say of all that I have enjoyed, the Sage lineup has always been the closest to right on for suggested line weights. Fact is they designed some lines for their ultra ultra lights like the 00wt I had and gave my son. Ive built quite a few custom rods before I completely retired on the old LL series and found them to be my all time favorite graphite to work on. Never had a complaint or rod come back, thats a pretty good blank that can produce a rod that good.
Im hoping that this winters Steffen 1-2wt S glass builds will work out well, Im hoping for an honest 1wt (DT1F) and a equally honest 2wt (DT2F). both have always been a problem for me, I end up fishing my one weight as a two and my two as a three today.
Next winters search will be for an honest 3wt. Based on my success this winter with the Steffen blanks, and a custom made three piece 4wt McFarland E glass (lami custom roll) I will then most likely get either or both makers blanks for an honest 3wt.
Don't missundestand, the standard Lami two piece and three piece rods are great, with proper guide placement and number of guides you can speed them up alittle but in doing so you loose a little Light Line Ability. Everything in rod making is a trade off.
For me I like a rod that is crisp, easy to load (of late Ive been using the Ritz HS/HL casting method for my sight casting, this method seems to add another accurate and repeatable 5 to 10ft of range for my light line combo's. As such I expect easy casting to 50ft for the little guys. So its very important that the line weight really be just right on for the particular combination.
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:07 am • # 8 

I think Richard brings up a very valid point that is often overlooked when matching lines to rods, and rod weights to line weights; CASTING METHODS; I don't think we consider this integral part of a complex relationship of things relating to how a rod casts; what line is best, etc. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but if you watch four or 5 guys cast at the same time you realize that, like pitchers and hitters in baseball, there's many different ways to cast a fly. Richard mentioned the ritz method; we've all seen the majestic casting of Joan Wulff; the unorthadox style of lefty kreh, etc., etc. I think this is one of the important and overlooked components of matching rod and line to get a fly to the fish. I have been fly casting all my life, but just in the last few years have I began to try to reason out these factors and how they influence my ability to get a fly to the fish. Richard likes a rod that is crisp, easy to load, therefore i would say that knowing where he fishes(from earlier posts) his evaluation of rods versus lines would be different to mine, since i primarily fish large open bodies of water, where casts of 35-60 feet are more prevelant that 10-20 yard casts that have to have pinpoint accuracy. Hope you get my drift. This topic could be several chapters in a book-p-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:34 am • # 9 
Administrator

Gene does bring up a good point. We all cast different. I tend to get my line out and try to keep false casting to a minimum. I like to pick up the line and shoot it back out there. I'd say that I tend to push a rod hard at times to shoot and get distance. You'd think that I would prefer a faster rod, but I can't get a feel for fast rods.
Fast rods also don't let me feel the fight of the smaller species of fish I tend to target. So for me it tends to be a trade off most of the time.
Most of my fishing is done here at home in my back yard. I fish from the stream bank, as the creek isn't wadeable in this section. At times I need to be able to get the fly out there past 50 feet, and most of my rods just aren't really up to the task of doing that efficiently. Going to a stiffer rod will get me the distance, but I won't enjoy the fight of the fish here, which average about 5-6".
For me, being able to feel the fish is first on the list, and distance is usually last on the list. It's different for all of us.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:24 am • # 10 

I am with J on this. I like to feel fish more than I enjoy to cast. When I hook a 14" crappie, I want to feel the fish fight me, and when I hooked a crappie like that on a faster, heavier rod it deadened the sensation of the fight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:09 am • # 11 
Administrator

Thanks Richard and Gene! I appreciate your thoughts. I know what you mean about casting styles too--I mangled my shoulder 5 or 6 years back and have had kind of a half side-arm, half-overhand cast ever since. It sure makes me aware of my backcast dropping since it's only 4' or 5' above ground to start with. :-)

Andy and J, we're not really talking about how the rod feels with a fish on--in fact, regardless of the line weight I use on this Lami--a 3 or 4wt--it will feel the same with a fish on. To me the rod just feels kind of dead until i get 30' of 3 wt line out. Not fast--just dead. Since most of my rods are from Sage I'm very comfortable with a fast rod but this doesn't feel fast.

I kind of fish like J during the spring and summer when there is more topwater stuff happening, but now I'm mostly casting 20-30' and then doing a slow jerky retrieve until I have about 10' feet out, so I almost always do a false cast and then the real cast to get the line back out. If I was picking 30' of line up off the water the rod would probably feel just fine.

Thanks again for the replies!

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:07 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Jerry, I guess I went off on tangent there. Sorry about that. It's odd (at least to me) that your rod feels dead out to 30 feet. For me it's the opposite. I can feel mine load up just fine with less than 30 feet out. The rod seems to cast it's self. That's just me though. Certainly a WF4F loads the rod much quicker and the rod handles it just fine.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:40 pm • # 13 
Administrator

No problem J! Tangents are where the interesting stuff gets brought up Image

I'm really surprised as well about the Lami. I know this 7' 3 wt if fairly common and highly thought of. I'm wondering if it's just a manufacturing anomaly or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:15 am • # 14 

I think we all fish light tackle because we really enjoy the thrill of the chase. I know I release everything trout that isnt injured. The panfish, some of the bass and injured trout come home for dinner. I like to feel my rod load, doesn't matter what the mfg says it is, if I can't feel it load them I really dont feel Im in control. On the other had while I might be overlined, I still enjoy seeing and hearing those fish run with a light tippet until I can turn them and bring them to net. Sometimes a nice crappie can keep me busy for quite a while. We have some nice crappie here too, many over 2 pounds. In very early spring, lets say March/April here there are a number of spots along the old river course of the lake (my side just below the house) that light up with Crappie activity. Early spring doesn't bring the winds off the deserts so I can still fish with my UL tackle. Im not casting far either, less than 30 feet usually from the shoreline. Its the playing of the fish thats the real fun. While it might be a one or two weight, I generally have a one pound or two pound short tippet on. Makes for some lively action. Occasionally a nice LMB will sneak into the action, however alas Ive not brought anything over two pounds to net with such light tippets yet. One of the major problems is that the tippet itself is so short it has no ability in itself to absorb shock when the big fish takes the fly. Unlike a spinning outfit with all mono or using one of the new braided lines with a substantual mono leader that will streach at the strike and run. One reason Im sort of a fanatic about UL fly reels being set with no real drag while fishing with such light tippets. With plenty of backing I can pretty well turn a decent fish with just the added drag the rod itself generates at 11 oclock.
As to Jdub, hes spoiled with his Sage's I know, Im spoiled the same way. They have consistantly preformed outstanding for me for many years. The LL 7ft 2wt and the XLT 00wt have left me with a jaded opinion on ultra light peformance.
The Lami's are great rods for the investment. I built up two sets of four rods each for my four grandsons a year ago. The Lami 3wt and 5wts for each of them. The kids are getting into fishing more each year and soon the oldest will be the first to spend his summers with us. Hes already getting addicted to fly fishing.
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:44 pm • # 15 

I like the sound of my BBS, as well as the adjustable disc drag, but I totally understand what you are saying about being able to turn a fish with enough backing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:08 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Quote:
As to Jdub, hes spoiled with his Sage's I know, Im spoiled the same way.
You speak the truth Richard Image I have really enjoyed every Sage I've had! The 6'9" LL 4 wt is what got me hooked on short/light rods, and then the 7'9" 2 wt just sank the hook in a little deeper.

I have to admit though that the Orvis Superfine 1 wt is my current favorite. It's just too much fun with a fish on. As for casting though, I'll take the 2 wt LL over any of my other UL rods. This spring, when I start getting into bigger fish and casting slightly bigger poppers again, I'll probably start using the 2 wt LL as much as the 1 wt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:01 am • # 17 

Forget poppers Jerry, I can send you a fly recipe that caught me a 10.5" gill last spring. PM me if you are interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:38 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Quote:
Forget poppers Jerry, I can send you a fly recipe that caught me a 10.5" gill last spring. PM me if you are interested.

PM on the way

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:13 pm • # 19 

Cool, now to see some pictures of some of these fish you are catching in the spring. I will have my camera glued to my pocket when I fish in the spring.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:09 pm • # 20 

Jerry, try your two weight line on your one weight Orvis you will still feel the fish just like you do when fishing a 1wt line, but with the 2wt line the Orvis will load like a cannon. Ive given up fishing one weight line on mine, I like it so well with two weight lines and it loads for some decent distance casting. I have a little Wulff TT2wt Intermediate that is absolutely fantastic on that little rod.
Richard

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply