It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: FLY LINE COLOR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:56 am • # 1 

a couple of years ago I got real smart and bought a little dt-2 line that was gray in color.Thought it would spook less fish on a clear water lake. Well, that wasn't my brightest moment. I can't see the line on the water unless the sun is high and bright and i am moving the line. I never paid any attention to line color til i got that line. What are your thoughts on line color when using a floating line.?-p-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:15 am • # 2 
Administrator

Gene, I like more subdued colors myself, preferably olive. I don't have any problem using brighter colors though.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:20 am • # 3 
Administrator

I've noticed that since I've recently started using furled leaders that as long as the leader is a different color than the line, the actual of color of the line doesn't matter as much to me. I frequently use the end of the line as a strike indicator so I really like being able to see it.

But with a regular leader I like a bright colored line--for just that reason. I have gray and olive lines that just sort of disappear in the water. I put a loop in the end of one neutral colored line by bending the tip over and using bright red thread to do a whip finish. It's highly visible (enough that the little brim bump it from time to time), and makes seeing the end of the line much easier.

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 am • # 4 

I'm with you P. I now have a fondness for hot orange lines! However, I had Quigley furl some orange and white "barber pole" leaders for me so that I could watch the butt of the leader, which I prefer to following the tip of the fly line. That couple of feet in focal point make a big difference, as I can also see the take of the fly. If you have a "stealth" leader, you really need a colored line. Don

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:01 am • # 5 

On my Wulff JWS line, the running line is orange, and the head is white. I LOVE white lines now!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:06 am • # 6 
Administrator

I hate white lines. The fish see those really well.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:03 am • # 7 

I usually use a light olive colored line like the SA lefty Kreh line for mtn fishing for trout. High sticking through runs are common with just a few feet of line out the tip on 7-8 ft leaders. The flyline blends more with the background and you spook less fish.
warm water or tailwater trout fishing, I am am using longer leaders, sometimes up to 12-15 ft long so brighter lines are often used. my favorite is the Rio clouser line which is chartruese yellow for ww and the peach 444 for cold water.
Really as long as I keep my false casting to a minimum, and try to be stealthy, rest an area for a few minutes after wading into position, the fly line color makes little difference most times.
I don't fish lakes very often but could see how a brighter line would be more user friendly against the green water or reflections from the sky.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:37 pm • # 8 

I've always had the suspicion that bright lines might spook fish....but in the waters I typically fish and have fished, it hasn't seemed to have much of a difference.

When I fish heavier gear and want to get to the bottom of deeper water, I use a quick descent line from Cortland - a 555 that's got a black head and a clear running line. At first I hated it because I couldn't see the line like I had become used to with bright colored lines.....but now it doesn't bother me at all.

I think bottom line....when I shop for lines it's based upon wt and taper design with color being secondary.

Wish I could ask Mr. Bass or Mr. Trout what he thinks!!!

David

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:48 pm • # 9 

I'm with Jeremy, I like the drab colored lines. It's not about spooking fish for me, it just that I can't stand those bright colored lines SCREAMING at me while I am trying to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. I have a couple of bright colored lines that I reserve for those occasions when the water is dirty and I can see it better. Call me fickle but I do prefer the Cortland 444 Classic Peach lines on my bamboo rods.Image
It's another one of those "personal preference things" and I don't think it makes much difference difference to the fish.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:49 pm • # 10 

Well as Lee Wulff would say, its all about the fishes circle of safety. I don't think a fish gives a hoot one what color your line is if its not in his immediate area of safety. Even the camo colored furrled tapered leaders dont seem to get close enough to spook the fish. On my utra lights Im fishing mostly 5ft furrled leaders to I pickup some 4 footers. On the 5fters Im using either a 1 pound or 1 pound 2 1/2ft tippet. Almost exclusively nymnphs or other wets now, so even though im using Floating lines, the leader is a sinker. Most of the nymphs are beadheads so the works sort of bounces off the bottom right up in front of the fishes noise for the take. I like using indicators too, right at the joint between leader and line. Water depth now for my targeted fish is around 4-6 ft so the fly just sort of bounces off the bottom as it follows the current. I see the indicator for the take and set the hook ever so lightly as not to snape off the tippet. The short distance from the indicator to the fly is such that just a little takeup is enough to set th hook and get ready for the run.
Richard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:16 am • # 11 

In a good cast, line color matters to the fisherman, not the fish. I have caught more fish on gaudy colored line than on subdued tones because I could see the take. The indicator techniques mentioned are great for fishing marabou jigs under a float on rippled water in a lake. I cast the jig and float out and let it sit. The waves make all the action and fish, especially panfish cannot refuse it.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply