It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 5 of 6   [ 110 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:18 am • # 81 

I am sorry is I got riled up there a bit.  The whole thread raised my dander a bit because it seemed that we all talk about this rod and that line and apply windows of performance and even discuss a system that explains what a rod 'wants' to do and then I find that people decide that those parameters don't apply to one particular make and model of fly rod.

I guess I am going to have to buy a TXL to see what all the hub bub is about, though that is not likely to happen very soon as there are several rods that are on the 'buy list' first.

The real issue with sub 0wt rods and line is their grain weight is much closer together than rods above that mark.  Probably, line vs. rod relationships get blurred together and it would take a very good caster to notice differences and I am sure you guys are in that boat.  With the DC I have, I've been using a 00 line on it.  I have thought about getting both a 0wt and a 000wt line for different applications...but in reality, while I might notice some differences, they wouldn't really mean all that much as the 00 wt line works just fine. 

The other reason I am sorry for getting riles  is - it just doesn't matter....I have a few rods that are smaller, lighter and more delicate than any TXL.  Ha ha ha ha ha.  just kidding

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:27 am • # 82 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
Jerry, you made a good point about David's rods setting the context for some of his comments on this thread. A TXL is not anything like a Dan Craft Sig IV or a UL bamboo. You would be pretty much nuts to attempt to horse in a big fish on those rods. Field testing a UL rod to the breaking point and then replacing it under warranty does not apply to custom sticks! I remember one of the reasons Jerry sent a cane up to David was a bad experience with a big fish. Rob did the same thing, as I recall. Both David and I are hardcore UL guys, and David is THE guy when it comes to 4/0, 5/0 and lighter rods. To inject some levity here, David knows that if he were to handle my rods the way some handle their factory rods, I would grab that .243 and shoot HIM!
There was a day, not long ago on the Henry's Fork.  I hadn't planned on fishing there so I didn't have a 4wt along or one of the cane rods but fish were rising so I waded out with the DC 8 footer in hand, a few #24 midges and some fine tippet.  I stuck a nice bow, approx. 19" and we did battle.  The rod held up nicely and I would do it again.....but I don't think it is proper to do so.  I bought that rod for other reasons. 

Don, You don't have to worry about me and broken rods....that just doesn't happen except if I package them wrong and ship them to you....ha ha.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:49 am • # 83 

What did we all decide on the 4/0 through 6/0 designation, 8 grain differences? For those of you new to that discussion, no official standard exists. And evidently when Sage says rated for a 3/0 they really mean for a 2. (Sorry, couldn't resist, I really did read the entire thread!)

I am going to badger David into posting a thread on sub 3/0 rods next year. I hope to get some more of those delicate Spezio blanks next year and have several Sig IV blanks put away as well. By the way, Dan Craft appears to rate his blanks over the "correct" line weight. I really need to learn to CCS blanks and add the results to our data base. Don

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:50 am • # 84 

I did have a experience with the 00 weight that I sold to David...I hooked a nice bass with it and broke the line on purpose cause I lacked the skill to bring it to hand with the 00....I was afraid of breaking it even tho I had a light tippet on...I loved the rod but, it was not matched for my skill level...and it longed to be used in a cold mountain stream, not a farm pond...I sold it to David cause he has the skill and the place to use it where it should be applied....I have a 1wt and that probably is the lowest I will ever go...I basically am a 3wt fellow and probably always will be....I just have more fun fishing with a 3wt...It matches my fishing opportunities/skill level, is still a UL rod, and my preference...I know my limitations, accept them, and have fun...and that is all that matters to me....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:17 am • # 85 

This thread has me wanting one of those discounted Sage blanks in their 1 weight (whatever it may be on the CCS). I may even go for a 0. I really liked the action (and I generally do not like faster actions), but would finish it with aluminum hardware. My comments on this thread are absolutely colored by that hardware issue on the factory rods.

I am also a tip-heavy guy and one of the reasons Jerry and I differ in our choice of lines is that factor.  Once in a while we both like the same blank, but I always want it more tip-heavy when set up.  Jerry likes that "no line up there" sensation, whereas I really want to feel the swing.   Don

Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:48 am • # 86 
Administrator

This type of debate will never go away, it's like beating a dead horse.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:14 am • # 87 

jkurtz7 wrote:

True. It's like debating which color looks best. 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:24 am • # 88 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
I guess the question is not whether CCS is a good or bad system, but the real question is why is it so danged much fun to beat a dead horse? Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:33 am • # 89 
Administrator

At least, like Rob said, it's a civil discussion/disagreement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:38 am • # 90 
Administrator

CBarclay wrote:
At least, like Rob said, it's a civil discussion/disagreement.
I guess that makes us like a bunch of well-behaved children playing a never ending game of ring-around-the-rosie.  Image

Then again, there are very few things being discussed on fly fishing forums that are of great importance, huh? I think the web was invented specifically as a place to deposit dead horses.  Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:45 am • # 91 
Administrator

And that makes the world a better place (the interwebs and fly fishing that is).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:58 am • # 92 
Administrator

CBarclay wrote:
And that makes the world a better place (the interwebs and fly fishing that is).
I concur.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:30 am • # 93 

My dead horse smells better than your dead horse. Don

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:40 pm • # 94 

Oh yea, my dead horse is softer and more delicate than most other dead horses.  You couldn't give me most of those faster dead horses.  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:16 pm • # 95 
Administrator

This thread has really galloped away from us.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:23 pm • # 96 
Administrator

Les, that was the best post of this entire thread. Really 'livened' up my day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:25 pm • # 97 

I guess since I do not even own a Sage TXL, I do not even have a horse in this race..:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:46 pm • # 98 

ImageWOW....Ten pages, I am impressed.................."WHOA HORSEY".........................Don S. in SC............

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:00 pm • # 99 

OK, I'm ready to start stirring the pot again.......TXL's suck!

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:01 pm • # 100 
Administrator

David Gale wrote:
OK, I'm ready to start stirring the pot again.......TXL's suck!

Dave

LOL Dave. I can expect to see Sasha pop in at any momment...

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 5 of 6   [ 110 posts ] New Topic Add Reply