It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6   Page 6 of 6   [ 110 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:06 pm • # 101 
Administrator

David Gale wrote:
OK, I'm ready to start stirring the pot again.......TXL's suck!
Nah, that'll never work.  We TXL owners are quite comfortable knowing it's one of the finest UL rods every made.  Image

This just comes off like a Hyundai owner saying Ferrari's suck.  Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:12 pm • # 102 

Cane all the way.  Graphite fly rods are just a passing fad!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:21 pm • # 103 

No truer words spoken David...Just pack all those crappy graphite rods you own and send them to me....I will dispose of them for you....what are friends for?? You know the address...Your pal, Rob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:39 pm • # 104 
Administrator

Or rather, Dave, I'm geographically closer to you than Rob so why don't you save on shipping and send your lousy graphite rods to me and I'll make sure they are distributed accordingly. (Sorry Rob, I had to).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:44 pm • # 105 

I use my graphite rods for beating dead horses. The TXLs work best, too. Don

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:55 pm • # 106 
Administrator

Well, at least they're good for somethin!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:31 pm • # 107 

jdub wrote:
I was just looking for CCS data for the TFO 1 wt and I came across an entry in the Sexyloops database for a TXL 00 wt: ERN=1.60, AA=68. I also found another builder whose TXL 0 wt had an ERN of 2.0.

So all you TXL ought weight owners, do you think Sage is pulling a fast one on us and incorrectly labeling 1 and 2 wt rods? And are we all flailing around with underlined rods when we could be much happier fishing heavier lines on these rods? :-)

I think you all know what I think so let's hear from you other TXL owners.

I like CCS and I think that even in this case it's correct, at least about ERN.
I have a Sage 3/0 line, that for me is a 000, and I weighed the first 30 feet and for me it weighs 61 grains, which corresponds to an AFFTA 1wt line. Then your ERN 1,60 is absolutely correct.
And I sincerly hope that everybody use the CCS and every AFFTA and other productors put on their rods and blank CCS ERN and AA: they would give much more objective data to understand the type of rod.
And I hope that even here CCS is used more even here.
This is my line

p.s.
I don't know about 0, but I have even a Sage QDT line #1 and it weighs 77 grains who is not an AFFTA 1wt but a 2wt. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:47 pm • # 108 

in fact was published those standards about Sage 0, 00 and 000
000 = 57gr
00 = 60gr
0 = 65gr
then here was recognized they are AFFTA 1wt.
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4151

Ok, this means that Common Cents say the truth and it is a good and riable method for evaluading rods and blanks.

Why don't continue this very interesting thread? viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1054

Last edited by zigo on Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:41 pm • # 109 

zigo wrote:
Ok, this means that Common Cents say the truth and it is a good and riable method for evaluading rods and blanks.

Well, yeah...but it can be an ugly and uncomfortable truth from the manufacturer's end of things. I'm pretty skeptical many companies can make large volume runs and hit the targets very well from batch to batch. They're pretty good sometimes, but probably not so good that the accuracy of any widespread and precise measurement system wouldn't scare 'em.

There's been batches of various rods tested before, the CCS numbers can vary quite a bit for the same label and weight.

Edit...As a follow-up example to the above comment, here’s a link to a Sexyloops thread started by Tangled.

https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3469&hilit=sage

Mostly about the CCS database in general, but the first five posts in the conversation are a real eye opener on build variance. Color me impressed that they know the batch numbers which is some real granularity in the realm of rod shopping. Competition casting is a different world.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:24 am • # 110 

mmm... I think your are right: maybe some producers would find it difficult to make a nice "operation transparency and truth" :).
But I remember that few years ago there was one of the big "rod builiding accessories" sellers who did it and published even ERN and AA for his blanks...but my memory...can't remember who was...Pac Bay...Batson...American Tackle...
Bah...
But a transparency operation would be the goal of a forum like this, composed mainly of end users: I learned the CCS here and I think that anyway it's a great way to understand better what I'm buying and who is a "smoke seller".
Then I appreciate what Jkurtz made here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1054
I'm sorry that there are so few contributions: maybe because it's locked and it's impossible send replies?
I will try to send my CCS data, but unfortunately my rods are not so "new" :).

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6   Page 6 of 6   [ 110 posts ] New Topic Add Reply