It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 45 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: UL line Grain Database
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:02 pm • # 1 

SAGE (TXL / QT) Standards Chart 
Fly Line Rating:Ideal Weight (grains): (1 Gram = 15.4323584 Grains)Acceptable Grain  Range: *Estimate*
000 wt5756-58
00 wt6059-62
0 wt6563-67

AFTMA FLY Line Standards Chart

Fly Line Rating:Ideal Weight (grains): (1 Gram = 15.4323584 Grains)Acceptable Grain Range:
1 wt6054-66
2 wt8074-86
3 wt10094-106
4 wt120114-126
5 wt140134-146

Below are some lines that I have weighed.

1. Scientific Anglers Supra    WF-4-F  Grain wt. 125.1
2. Cabelas Prestige Plus WF-3-F Grain wt. 103.4
3. Rio Lake Auqualux Midge Tip  WF-3-I Grain wt. 114.2  (Edit: This one was sold as a 3, but weights out as a 4 on the AFTMA Standards Chart )
4. Cabelas Prestige Plus (Clear) WF-5-I Grain wt. 143.5

Last edited by Charged on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:09 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Great idea!!

Can I suggest that someone post detailed instructions for weighing? Such has removing the leader first and making sure you're only getting the first 30' registering on the scale? I mention this because I use furled leaders and they can make a pretty significant impact on the weight of an already very light fly line. I have a line scale and know how sensitive they are and it'd be great to get this list as accurate as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:24 pm • # 3 

I did not weight the lines I measured with a leader attached. I just measured the first 30ft. Also I'm not sure if AFTMA has any standards for lines below a 1wt. If they do, I can update the chart, or if any moderators want to change the post, feel free.

I found that the easiest way to weight my lines was to remove the leader, and wrap the line 5 times around a yard stick, this will leave 10 strands of line on the stick, 5 on each side..

Then coil the first 30 feet of line up, and weight it on a scale.

If your scale does not weight grains, (1 Gram = 15.4323584 Grains). Here is an easy to use gram to grain converter. http://www.unitconversion...o-grains-conversion.html
Just type in the grams, and the converter will convert to grains on the fly.Image

Last edited by Charged on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:14 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:09 pm • # 5 

You may wish to consider this e-mail I received direct from Sage.
The inquiry was for grain ratings on the TXL rods and QT lines.

There is a misconception by many members on the grain weights for Sage QT lines

000 = 57gr
00 = 60gr
0 = 65gr

Best regards,
Team Sage

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 pm • # 6 
Administrator

fkrow wrote:
You may wish to consider this e-mail I received direct from Sage.
The inquiry was for grain ratings on the TXL rods and QT lines.

There is a misconception by many members on the grain weights for Sage QT lines

000 = 57gr
00 = 60gr
0 = 65gr

Best regards,
Team Sage

Regards,
FK

That kind of puts a wrench in things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:34 am • # 7 

I added the Sage TXL rod and QT lines grain standards into the chart, but it seems unusual to me that the recommended Sage ratings all fit into the AFTMA chart as a 1wt. Does Sage also have a proprietary scale range for the rest of there lineup?

Last edited by Charged on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:36 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Charged wrote:
I added the Sage TXL rod and QT lines grain standards into the chart, but it seems unusual to me that the recommended Sage ratings all fit into the AFTMA chart as a 1wt. Does Sage also have a proprietary scale range for the rest of there lineup?
I'm waiting to hear back from Sage.  Their initial response made it sound like their earlier lines were lighter than their current lines.  I also ordered a more accurate scale to do some weighing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:50 am • # 9 
Administrator

Hey Jerry, I'm curious if you've heard back from Sage yet on the confirmation of the weight of their lines? Charged, it's not that I doubt you, it's that it seems so strange that this info significantly conflicts with what we've known before.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:28 am • # 10 

I finally got a scale to weigh my lines and settle my suspicions...

30ft of line measured and marked from the reel, with welded loops removed:

Scientific Anglers Mastery Series - Trout WF3F 100.8 grains (no surprise)

Scientific Anglers Mastery Series - XPS* WF2F 68.8 grains (just outside the 1 weight range, about a 1.45 weight)

Scientific Anglers Mastery Series - XPS* WF3F 105.6 grains

This one really surprises me, this line fishes very differently than the Trout, maybe it's thinner in diameter because the line speed with this line makes it feel very light (fast) compared to the trout.  I even went back and remeasured and reweighed the WF2F and got the exact same weight) the WF3F Trout and XPS lines are like night and day on my 6'6" Winston WT 3 weight.  The Trout feels heavy, with less line speed, responds well to double haul while the XPS does not respond well to a double haul at all (less distance) and the line speed is noticably faster than with the trout, while feeling light and nimble, the rod almost feels underlined.  This is also while fishing them both at the same distances with the same flies.  The rod will cast just the leader, with enough of either line just far enough out of the tiptop so that it won't fall back in. The Trout line almost makes it feel overlined, but I like both lines on the rod.

Sage Quiet Double DT3F (the latest version) 108.5 grains (3.42 weight?)  Not too bad, I was afraid this might end up being a 4 weight given the other info we've been getting lately.

Royal Wulff Triangle Taper TT4F - 121.2 with the welded loop. I really thought this would weigh alot less.  Having fished all these lines except the WF2F XPS, there is obviously more to a line and how it casts/fishes than the 30 ft weight.

*The XPS lines are the slightly older ones only available in gray and sunset. (orange) The new XPS two-tone lines at least in 4 wt, are even heavier than the Trout series, the one I had was too heavy for my 4 wt rod so I sold it last year.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:03 am • # 11 
Administrator

The Mastery Series Trout are really good lines, they just cost more than I'm willing to pay.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:21 am • # 12 

jkurtz7 wrote:
The Mastery Series Trout are really good lines, they just cost more than I'm willing to pay.

J, This particular one is going on 4 years old and is the same as it was since the day i bought it.  I have been watching them for a sale, but it looks like they are not going two-tone with this line this year like they have with a few others.   They did change the packaging though.  The XPS lines I got for $30 and $25 on clearance and still look for them but they are few and far between for new and discounted.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:53 am • # 13 

jkurtz7 wrote:

The mark of a really good fly caster is they don't need the most innovative and expensive fly lines (or equipment for that matter) to make good performing casts. 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 am • # 14 

I was wondering if you guys might want to include all the Aftma line weights into this topic. (The Aftma chart includes weights up to 12) I have some more lines weighed in this range that I could also post. I know this is a ultralight forum, but my thinking is that the more lines we could get measured, the better understanding we will have on which brands or series run heavier / lighter than advertised. Or would you just prefer to keep this topics content pertaining towards only the lighter weight lines.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 am • # 15 

I want to say something really bad about the weights of Sage sub 0 fly lines....I mean really bad!.....but I won't.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:51 am • # 16 

WCsage wrote:
I want to say something really bad about the weights of Sage sub 0 fly lines....I mean really bad!.....but I won't.

Dave
Whupps, I'm not sure if that comment was directed at my last post (I just did not want there to be any confusion). If my previous post did come across that way, it was never my intent. I actually don't have any sage lines, but I do have some other brands that are heavier than advertised.

Last edited by Charged on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:13 am • # 17 

Charged wrote:
WCsage wrote:

Dave
Whupps, I'm not sure if that comment was directed at my last post (I just did not want there to be any confusion). If my previous post did come across that way, it was never my intent. I actually don't have any sage lines, but I do have some other brands that are heavier than advertised.
My comment was not directed at any person on this forum.  It was aimed at corporate lies......but I'm not saying anything...not one thing!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:58 am • # 18 

This is a nice illustration of why I no longer worry about the line weight of a rod. I am ONLY concerned in what the rods action is like.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:40 am • # 19 

Hey, anyone have a teeny BS-100 line; this is the lite sink tip line. I would be interested in its weight. I'm wanting to make a sinking line for my 1 weight by using the back end of a 4weight full sinking connected to the back end of a #2wf floating line, but then I remembered the BS-100, which might be castable on my 1 weight. i will weigh the #2wf line I cast with it and compare it to the weight of the BS 100; that way I dont have to buy the line to see. I bet Les has that line so maybe he'll read this-p-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:45 am • # 20 
Administrator

Hey gene,
I tried the bc100 on my 3rd cane and it works well.
I'm thinking that you should try creating a longer section of clear dink like I have played around in the sink tip challenge. I would be happy to send a length for you to try

Les

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 45 posts ] New Topic Add Reply