Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Hardy Flyweight!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:24 am • # 1 

http://www.harrissportsma...Models.aspx?ModelID=14254

$151 shipped to the USA!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:09 am • # 2 
Administrator

Yeah I really want one of those but they are still out of reach for me at that price. Although that is a really good deal. I noticed that Bass Pro just raised the price on the Classic Ultra Light reel, it's now over $100.00. Anyone wanting a Hardy and has the cash better jump on these.

By the way, I checked these out at the Fly Tying Expo a few weeks ago, and the quality still lives up to the Hardy name even though they are made in Asia now.
But, there are plenty of Korean made reels that are in the same price range these days.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:30 am • # 3 
Saw a featherweight at the expo, thought it was really nice. Looked perfect for a 3-4, the flyweight is smaller...I would love to get one but the timing is not right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:43 am • # 4 
Administrator

janus73 wrote:
Saw a featherweight at the expo, thought it was really nice. Looked perfect for a 3-4, the flyweight is smaller...I would love to get one but the timing is not right.
Yeah I hate when good stuff is on sale and I'm still too broke to get it.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:54 am • # 5 
Administrator

Dang! Looks like I might be putting a nearly new BPS Classic Ultralight reel in the classifieds section pretty quick. Thanks for the link Andy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:56 am • # 6 

Yep.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:02 am • # 7 
Administrator

jdub wrote:
Dang! Looks like I might be putting a nearly new BPS Classic Ultralight reel in the classifieds section pretty quick. Thanks for the link Andy!
Since BPS hiked the price to $109.99 on the Classic UL reel, it's no longer a good deal in my book. The Hardy is a MUCH better deal at the price on that site.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:24 am • # 8 
Administrator

I agree that a new BPS reel in not a great deal at $109, but a nice minty used one will sell for much less :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:31 am • # 9 
Administrator

Those hardy's are awfully nice. The only one I own is an SA system 8 made by Hardy , but it too is a dandy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:07 pm • # 10 

The Flyweight is a nice little reel, but even at the now low price, I think they are overpriced. I lucked out a few months ago and traded off an old Sage 5 wt. for a Flyweight. The reel balances perfectly on my 7' 3 wt. Diamondglass. Now the Bougle is a different matter. At the price it is now being offered, I'm having a hard time restraining myself.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:11 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Bud said the same thing of the Bougle, yet I've never handled one. Must be really nice.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:23 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Hi Larry, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that *every* item that includes the words "fly fishing" is over-priced. I just try to find the coolest gear that I can afford and don't even try to justify the price--it's a losing battle for me. Try to explain to someone why you have $500 worth of rod and reel to catch bluegills, or even $100 worth... and then you throw all the fish back :-) I just tell my wife it's cheaper than golf.

Take care,

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:30 pm • # 13 

It is a bunch cheaper than golf. However, when you stop blinking an eye at a $300+ fly rod.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:37 pm • # 14 
Administrator

If you're trying to convince her that $300 is reasonable for a rod, then showing her a $500 driver might help Image

http://www.golfsmith.com/...-9.5-S-&tcode=fr_home

And it makes a $150 for a reel sound like a steal! ;-)

Actually, as long as I'm selling stuff to pay for new stuff my wife doesn't care what I buy, although I do usually end up getting the really expensive stuff (like the Orvis 1 wt) for my b-day or Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 am • # 15 
Yeah I move stuff to buy stuff. But I'm runnin out of stuff to move. stalemate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:17 am • # 16 

The hardy lightweight series are now made overseas as opposed to England.Investment value may diminish if resale value is part of the equation.Quality of materials and workmanship?..time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:33 am • # 17 
Administrator

fortunato65 wrote:
The hardy lightweight series are now made overseas as opposed to England.Investment value may diminish if resale value is part of the equation.Quality of materials and workmanship?..time will tell.
I've handled the new Hardy reels made in Korea, and they are just as nice as the English made reels. What really floored me was the new Hardy rods, most if not all ( with the exception of the Hardy Bamboo) are made in China. The build quality on these is stunning, much better than many rods made here in the USA, and certainly way better than any rod coming out of Korea. The Koreans do make really good reels though, I just don't think that rods are their strong point yet.
Despite Hardy outsourcing product, all that product has to meet Hardy's high standards of quality. I think that it does.

J

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:22 am • # 18 

My hope that the "English"made Hardy reel owners don't use it as a bargaining chip against non "English" made Hardy reels in resale world.The Korean made reels do look beautiful though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:35 am • # 19 

I saw The English made Hardys used at the Metolius rod fair last year and some were in just awful condition, chips, scratches,dings all over the the reel and they were still asking $250-$350 for the reels in poor condition. The reels in good condition were just outa sight price wise. I had brought a Flyweight and LRH made in England along for trade but decided I was going to hold onto them at those prices ...Paul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:11 am • # 20 
Administrator

Trouter2 wrote:
I saw The English made Hardys used at the Metolius rod fair last year and some were in just awful condition, chips, scratches,dings all over the the reel and they were still asking $250-$350 for the reels in poor condition. The reels in good condition were just outa sight price wise. I had brought a Flyweight and LRH made in England along for trade but decided I was going to hold onto them at those prices ...Paul
Yep, Paul is right. People are taking advantage of the "Made in England" label on the older reels. It kind of sickens me. I really wanted a Hardy Flyweight, but I may have to pass on these unless I can land a really good paying job here in the Third World Country of Ohio. On another note, I've always wanted an Orvis CFO too, and the current CFO 123 at $189 is a deal compared to the retail price on the Hardy.

J.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply