It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:47 pm • # 1 

I've got this thing for a 1 piece UL fly rod. I don't know why, but it is a thing. Also I have been keeping an eye on Hexagraph fly rods for a couple of years. I noticed that they now make a UL 5'9" 2 wt. one piece rod. Before I run out and proclaim this rod as being the the Holy Grail of UL flyrods, I was wondering if any of you folks ever heard of them? Look at their site http://www.hexagraph.com. It would be easier to look at them than me try to explain it. I am going to be retiring in a couple of months and I was thinking this might be a nice retirement gift to myself. Unless of course, you all were going to chip in a get it for me Image.

Anyone know anything about them. Any rumors about them?

Your comments and opinions would be appreciated.

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:30 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Joe, I've certainly heard of them, but I've never had one in my hands. They are quite frankly, well out of my price range. I know of one review that is on Bill Byrd's site.
http://www.byrdultrafly.com/hexul.htm

J.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:34 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Am I reading this correctly? Is it a solid graphite rod? WOW!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:18 pm • # 4 

I, too, have heard of Hexagraph, and they are way out of my price range, but they seem like a nice stick.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:39 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Les, the Hex rods have a foam core, the outside flats are graphite.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:33 pm • # 6 

I have a 3 piece Hex. It was way heavier in line weight than advertised. The finish does look bambooish. If you want a bamboo rod, I suggest that you buy a real one. I guess anything is possible, but I can't see a 2 weight rod using their construction techique. Don

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:17 am • # 7 

I used to have a 6'6" 3wt that was built by Walton Powell before he sold the company to the current owner. It fished a bit like cane, a bit like fiberglass, and a bit like graphite. In the end it was a graphite rod that could toss a bigger fly than any other 3 wt that I have ever used. I remember casting a size 18 light cahill to a Lahontan Cutthroat that I watched rise for an hour. It was deadly accurate, one cast and watched the fish sip it like it didn't have a care in the world. A friend I used to guide for sold it to me. He had one also, until someone stole his out of his truck. I felt so bad for him that I gave mine back to him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 am • # 8 

I wondered if those rods were underrated, and I guess some are, some aren't.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply