It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:01 am • # 1 
Got a reel (non UL) but, it was cheap because the handle was missing from spool. Is there any place that just sells replacement handles that screw on? anyone ever dealt with this? I might have something but wasn't sure how important the handle was to the balance of the spool..
The reel is a Daiwa sf706..system one 456 is the same reel.
Janus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:43 am • # 2 

You may check with SA about it. If the 456 is the same, you can get a reel handle from SA more than likely. Also, if it screws on, play with a lathe or some dowel rods and get creative.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:25 am • # 3 
Administrator

If you can find a screw that will fit you can make your own handle like Andy said. I have an Orvis reel that had a rubber handle that I didn't like so I turned one out of rosewood in about 10 minutes. If you don't have access to a lathe let me know.

As far as balance goes, and this is just my far from educated opinion, but unless you have carp or bonefish taking line from your reel in a big hurry I doubt if you will notice a few grams difference between the handle and counterweight.

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:41 am • # 4 
Jerry that is really nice!!. Let me see if this plastic one I have will work. how did you secure it to the spool? screw wise?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:46 am • # 5 
Administrator

Thanks Brian! The original rubber handle had a hole all the way through so I just took it off and used the same screw.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:49 am • # 6 

Janus--most of the Daiwas have identical handles, an option would be to pick up a beater reel for the handle and then screw it on or use JB Weld. A screw would likely be stronger.
Nice work jdub!.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply