It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:27 am • # 1 

Happened to read Andy's post regarding his first gill of the season and Jerry's on his first big trout back-to-back and it occurs to me that UL tackle allows us to enjoy each and every fish no matter what the size. I am sure I appear faintly ridiculous to the joggers when I pull in a 4" bluegill on my local creek, but my tackle is correctly matched to the quarry and it feels like a whale to me! Fishing UL bamboo is icing on the cake. You get to fish and look classy at the same time. Well, at least the rod looks classy! I can look pretty disreputable astream. Don

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:35 am • # 2 

I look more than disreputable Don, but you do make a point on matched tackle. I love to see small fish put a huge smile on our faces!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:05 am • # 3 
Administrator

Don,
You speak the truth. UL tackle makes an afternoon of fishing for sunfish under 1 pound feel like we're after larger quarry. Once in awhile you can hang into something that goes over 16" and the battle is on...

Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:15 pm • # 4 

You speak what I feel Les. When you try to explain that to someone, they look at you like you're nuts! I love how that Orvis feels on that cane rod, and have a few click pawl reels on the way to see how it feels.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:02 pm • # 5 
Administrator

I agree Don. And wow, this bamboo rod looks classy!

One other thing that I really noticed yesterday, and this is coming from a guy who has a serious gear weight fixation, is that if the rod and reel are properly balanced then an ounce or two additional weight really isn't noticeable. I'm not sure how much Doug's 3 wt glass rod weighs but when I was casting it it felt perfectly balanced and was soooo smooth. I would have no trouble at all fishing something like that all day long, and in fact, I'm hoping to pickup the same blank he used on his.

And this bamboo rod, at 3.2 oz, is over an ounce heavier than my other UL rods but I didn't notice it once during the day. It balances very nicely, and is also very very smooth.

Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:08 pm • # 6 

I have a 7', 5 oz. 5/6 penta with hardwood grip and it feels like nothing in the hand. I can't figure it out at all. Don

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:28 pm • # 7 

That rod sounds interesting Don...I am interested in learning more about cane!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:55 pm • # 8 

Pentas are designed so that there is a ridge down the top of the rod. This results in a straighter cast as compared with a hex. At least in theory. I have never seen a UL penta. The one I have is stout, really a bass rod. Tim Zietak made the blank. I have a side arm cast so it tends to throw a "J" cast for me! But the neat thing is that it feels very light in the hand. I had titanium ferrules mounted and perhaps this has something to do with the feel. Nickel silver ferrules are heavy and influence the balance of the rod. I tend to stay under 7 1/2 feet on bamboo for this very reason. Or, I build the rod staggered. Staggering with the right taper creates a really nice casting rod because the ferrule does not fall at the middle of the rod. Don

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:16 am • # 9 

Hmm...I learn more every day! Isn't that rod a little heavy? 5oz for a 7ft rod seems a bit much, or is that just me?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:24 am • # 10 

That's the odd part Andy. It really doesn't. Of course when you look at the weight of some classic reels, a 5 ounce rod is not so bad with a modern, light weight, reel. The combined weight is of more interest. Don

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:54 am • # 11 

True. How heavy a reel do you like on it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:47 pm • # 12 

Currently I have a 4.3 ounce Hal Bacon. Making the combo 9.9 ounces. You might compare that with an 8' production bamboo rod and a medalist. Don

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:55 pm • # 13 

Not too shabby. Sounds like it would be fun to fish.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply