It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Beginner rig help
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:38 pm • # 21 

Hi bad weather here, lost my internet and phone connection for a bit, will try and get a pic set posted for those that are interested in knowing more about flylogic, it really is a nice handling and feeling line of equipement that should be considered when considering premium equipment.
Richard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:52 am • # 22 

One minor bit of advice, try a furled leader, it will make a difference, particularly if you are just learning to cast and plan to fish on top. It will tend to turn over better than a single strand mono leader, and you avoid alot of the leader tangles beginning casters sometimes get. It's still a good idea to work on your casting fundamentals though.

It's a small thing, but alot of people find it makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:27 am • # 23 

Ironic you just posted that pszy22,

Thursday it was 50 out so I went to a local park (old quarry) to practice my casting. There was still ice on the lakes in some places and no one there was catching anything but it was still good to get out. Of course the wind was not helping any but I was getting the hang of it as long as I turned my head and watched my back cast. The biggest problem was memory in the leader. Used the straightener on it but no avail, any wind from the front or side allowed its memory to act up and it would coil up before it hit the water, many times stopping the line to lose momentum as well. I tried several weights of flies including a #10 frog which I believe had enough weight to prevent the problems some what. I was getting 25-35' cast with 5-10mph gust. I was considering getting a leader tying kit(been practicing my blood knots at work while my CNC is cycling) so I could experiment cheaply but searching through the forum and found the discussions of the furled leaders. Looks like an economical solution considering the durability of them and if they help with casting, then all the better.

What do I need however(length/weight/ect, for 3/4 8'6" rod) I want to fish for bluegill, white bass, and streamers for crappie? Maybe some small small mouths in a creek a mile down the road. Do you nail knot these to the line or use a loop to loop connection? Is it better to put some stiff mono between the line and leader and between the leader and tippet?

Thanks
Jay Moyer

Last edited by Firebrick43 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:16 pm • # 24 

Jay for a furled leader nail knot a 6-9" section of heavy monofilament with a loop on the other end. you can go loop to loop with the furled leaser.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:58 pm • # 25 

Jay,

As Rockthief said, the most convenient way to attach a furled leader is to permanently attach a piece of mono at the end of your fly line. You can add a loop to that piece of mono. Most furled leaders have a loop or ring on the tippet end, to which you attach your tippet. If that isn't totally clear, I have some pictures on my website which will show you how everything gets hooked together, along with the knots you will need to tie.

The length of the furled leader is up to you. I personally like to fish a fairly long leader, so I use a 7' furled leader, and then attach a 6 or 7 foot tippet. I'd suggest you start off with a shorter furled leader, i.e. 4 or 5 feet, you'll add maybe a 3 or 4 foot tippet, so you'll end up with a 8 or 9 foot leader.

The nice thing about a furled leader is you can easily, quickly and cheaply change the diameter of your tippet to match the flies you'll be casting for different target species.

Hope that helps.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply