It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: One weight challenge
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:56 am • # 1 
Administrator

Recently Jerry and I traded some lines. In return for orange DT3F 444 laser-line I received a box of sage quiet Taper WF1F in mint green. My first copy of one weight was Orvis DT1 spooled on a Colorado zero. Later I obtained some WF1F another Spring creek Orvis line from Sierra Trading Post -both these line proved adequate.

Yesterday I went to the local creek for an hour and caught five BG including a small bass on soft hackles and a size 14 micro bugger. I paired my rod, a Cablela's Clear Creek seven foot one weight with the sage line, and the combination performed well. Certain fly lines can make a difference, and the Sage Quiet taper neither coils like the Orvis line nor collects gunk as easily. The stuff roll casts nicely, has very little memory, and stays cleaner longer. It's a shame it's longer in production, because it is superior in every aspect.
The line spooled on an HI sportcraft 60
three lines in comparison are: orvis DT1, Orvis WF1 on a Gayle simplicity, and the mint green WF1 sage on the sportcraft 60
Here's are some photos of the results
This fish are still taking slowly, but it's action just the same.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:46 pm • # 2 

Les, I am jealous man! We are pretty chilly here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:51 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Nice fish Les--I'm glad the line is working out for you! I tested three 1 wt lines a few weeks ago and posted the results here:

http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&t=456

It's good to have a bunch of reviews when hunting around for lines and rods.

I agree with you that the Sage is a better line--for the reasons you mentioned. I have one on my 0 wt and love it. This one just didn't quite load my Orvis 1 wt Trout Bum the way I wanted so I ended up sticking with the Orvis lines.

BTW, the Cortland 444 you traded me is perfect on this bamboo 3 wt! Thanks again.

Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:25 pm • # 4 

Your 1wt Orvis is a bit faster than that Clear Creek IMO. The Sage lines are intended for a light delivery, but I wouldn't balk at one. Sounds like both parties were happy with the trade!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:51 pm • # 5 

Another great line was the Rio Pocket Water. I don't understand why companies drop the best products they manage to design. Fear of success? Don

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:50 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Jerry,
Thanks for the article from Bill Byrd- I like the way he tries to offer up alternatives to lines no longer in production. I'm glad you still had the Sage Quiet taper II WF1F.

Les

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply