It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:06 pm • # 1 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eB...EWAX:IT&item=330306641305

This reel is a 60 yard size skeleton reel. If you look at the picture with the view of the backplate, it says Ueno Seiko. That IS the same Seiko that makes watches. The pictures suck so this was a steal. The reel is a silver color, not that bronzey brassy color as pictured. I will probably have to round the corners on the foot to fit the band seat on the Fitch, but it may fit as is. These are just gorgeous pieces of fishing gear! I will see if it needs a cleaning and lubing when it gets here and post some pictures!

I will definitely be looking for a blued kind of colored skeleton reel as well to really set off the blued hardware on the rod.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:34 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Andy,
Nice reel- seiko olympic makes great tackle. I especially like the counter balance- it should be precise for a skeleton reel.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:37 pm • # 3 

Reportedly, from Clark's: Flyman615 wrote: If you want a very nice skeleton-style reel made with very close tolerances, offering smooth operation and good looks---try those from Japan labeled "Olympic Reel". They were, in fact, made by the Ueno Seiko Co.---yes, the famous watch maufacturer, no less. (DO NOT confuse these reels with the run-of-the mill, black "Made in Japan" skeleton knock-offs, however.)

For example, the Seiko "Silver Fox" series of skeleton reels was offered in nickel silver plated and unplated (steel) versions. With either a smooth on-off click or a simple, but ingeneous, spring-loaded silent check, these reels measure about 2 3/4" diameter over the pillars and 1" between the plates. They will handle lines up to WF-5-F with backing.

Best of all, you can find them for much less than the Kineya reels and they work just as well.

Here are a few pictures of what they looked like new.

[url=http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&t=21102[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:35 pm • # 4 

Super Jealous.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:36 am • # 5 

There was another one with GOOD pictures being sold with a Shakespeare Kazoo for about triple the price. My tips are look for bad pictures, but know what you are buying! The pictures will keep the price down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:25 am • # 6 

The reel got here today and LORD is it gorgeous! The pictures on the auction didn't do it justice! I will take some good ones today.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply