It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 am • # 1 

I picked up a 2wt Rio Pocket Water off a clearance table today, thinking it might be a good line for throwing panfish bugs on my Orvis 1wt (new Superfine version) and a couple of light, soft 3wts I have (glass and bamboo). The drawing of the taper on the box looks a bit like a Windcutter type format with a longer front taper. Do any of you have anything to say about this discontinued line?
-CC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:22 pm • # 2 

I know that Don loves the Pocket Water, but is not too pleased with Rio for discontinuing it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:02 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I have the SA trout taper and I like it. I had heard some comparisons to thsi line, but I don't know if there are any real similarities.
That stated I have some Rio DT 3 line that is wonderful to cast. It has a unique "hourglass shape" and the little running line between two heads which defines its ability to be cast like WF but roll cast like common DT. As it ages I might consider cutting the line in half for a smaller reel.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:22 pm • # 4 

I got home a little early today, so I got to lawn cast this line on a few rods. First of all (and remember this is a 2wt), the tip is quite thin, but the line tapers very quickly (over about 9-10 feet) up to a diameter approximating a 5wt (but only for a few feet). Then it tapers down more slowly to a thin running line. This creates a line that will do a couple of things quite well: completely load a 1-3wt rod with only the leader, plus 10 or so feet of line, out the tip; and, fire point-and-shoot style casts with super small loops out to 25-30 feet, all day long. What it doesn't do well is mend line or make any kind of "trick" cast, so fancy dry fly work over tough trout is out. Your fly is going to go exactly where you aim, and it's going to get there in a hurry! Aim a bit high, or you'll be nailing it to the water like a hammered tack. The rods I tried it on today were: Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 7'6" 1wt; Glastech (S-2 glass) 6'6" 2/3wt; and Studio Thin Line (E glass) 7'4" 3wt. On the Orvis, my loops were less than a foot wide (sometimes way less), and I had to pay strict attention to avoid tailing. On the two glass rods, the loops ranged from 1.5-2.5 feet wide, which was a bit more comfortable to handle. On the glass rods, my loops started collapsing at around 25 feet, and I needed to single-haul to get them to lay out the tippet at that distance and beyond. The graphite rod managed a bit more distance without problems. I would imagine that the short, fat section of the line, surrounded by thin line, proves a bit too massive for the slower rods to overcome at that distance.

So, bottom line, I can see that this line will probably handle my bluegill bugs and such at reasonable ranges, and let me throw something a little bigger than normal for ultralight rods, but, where it will really shine is on tiny, overgrown creeks requiring pinpoint accuracy and short/medium casts (which is what it was designed for, after all, and also something we are surrounded by in the NC mountains). Oh, and it was a good buy at half-price.
-CC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:18 pm • # 5 

I do love PWFs. I think the coating may be a bit on the stiffer side as well. I have a couple of rods that only like PWFs. The most picky is a T & T LTS. Coincidentally, I was casting a PWF2F on the Fitch Purist this evening. Once I shorten the furled leader, I will be in business. It is superb for pocket water fishing. It is also a pretty good shooter, but not much for aerializing line. Don

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 pm • # 6 

I completed my experiment with the PW2 on the Purist. Once I shortened the furled leader to 3 foot it all clicked. It just about cast a PW1. CC - I did notice that with a vertical plane cast (which I virtually never do), the loop did travel very fast with a hard turnover. However, casting horizantally, the loop slowed dramatically and the turnover was normal for a dry fly taper. If you haven't tried the rods on the horizantal, you should. By the way Andy, that rod is way softer than I thought. I can see why it would make you nervous. I will have to check the taper, but it loads all the way to the cork with the swing weight alone. Interesting. Don

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:47 pm • # 7 

CC - Do you have a 3 weight bamboo? By all means try the line on it. Don

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:36 pm • # 8 

I have departed the PW issue, but I have some additional observations on the Purist. Side by side with a Garrison 193, also a 6' 9 rod, it is noticeably softer in an ultra scientific waggle test. The tip taper is heavier than the Garrison, and is actually pretty close to a Degere Ice Cream Parlor, which I believe is touted as a 1 weight. I am confused and need to run all of this by Alex. The implication for the PW2 is that the rod really is in that line weight range. I have noticed that the Rio Windcutters frequently do well with bamboo. They also have a light tip and a heavy (short) belly. Don

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:40 pm • # 9 

Since beginning this thread, I received a Jeff Fultz prototype 7'1" 2/2 2oz, with integrated bamboo ferrules and titanium rings on cork seat, as well as a Fuji titanium/SiC stripper and lightweight snakes (pictures to follow later this week). The rod will handle up to a WF5 on shorter casts (up to about 30ft), but likes a DT3 best. The PW2 handles very well in the wind on this rod--kind of acts like a very steeply tapered Wulff TT. I would rather use the PW2 in the wind than go up to a 5wt line on such a light rod.
-CC

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply