It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:34 am • # 1 
Administrator

I've had this Eagle Claw Medallion reel, model GRM 45RC for quite a few years now. I paid $25.00 for it new in box. It's basically a Hardy click pawl ripoff with rim control. The box says it's a 3" reel, my measurements make it a 2 7/8" reel, the same as my Orvis Battenkill 3/4. This is the smallest size in this series. The box lists the weight as 4 oz but I think it may actually weigh a bit less than that although I haven't had it weighed. I'll have to do that.
These reels have all metal pawls and inner workings, and they are VERY nice for the money, a poor mans Hardy. I used to use it a lot, then got back into my Orvis reel for awhile.
I decided to start using the Eagle Claw more often again. It is a nice reel for longer UL rods, like my Lami 7' 3wt, and my Orvis 7'6" Superfine 3wt. It will be used on my new 2wt project, which will be a longer 2wt rod.
If your interested in a good quality click pawl reel for little money, check Ebay for this model. I really like mine and highly recommend it. And no, it's not junk.

Here's a couple pics.............. J.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:27 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I like the way the tensioner on the click and pawl sits on the back side of the reel allowing for a palming rim. I now know what you were telling me about this reel from our previous conversation. In contrast to this design I have a few of the Daisey Heddons along with a gold/ maroon Eagle Claw with the drag knob on the reels edge- this feature prevents a palming rim.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:37 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I may have to pick up an Eagle Claw EC 10 if I can find one. I can't afford a real Hardy.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:44 pm • # 4 

J, I would look towards the Daiwa 730s. They are soundly made, and can be had pretty affordably. The Heddons are the most expensive of the lot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:49 pm • # 5 
Administrator

I've handled the Daiwa, it's a well made reel, but I don't like the way they look. The Eagle Claws are good reels, and the price is right.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:52 pm • # 6 

True. Well, I will keep my eyes open for one of the EC-10s.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply