It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:41 am • # 1 

Jeff just sent me this little beauty. Modern by any standard, 21st Century Prototype 7ft 1in 2/2, 2oz, 3/4wt, integrated bamboo ferrules, antique gold tipped Granger green, titanium rings and butt plate, titanium SiC stripper. Looking forward to getting it out on the water. Sweet with a DT3 or PW2.
-CC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 am • # 2 

Sweet looking rod. He does nice work and also sells tru blu (the best bluing stuff on earth)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:21 am • # 3 
Administrator

C.C. Very cool rod! The bamboo ferrules are interesting.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:03 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Wow, very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:03 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Wow, very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:39 pm • # 6 

The main advantage of bamboo ferrules is the incredible lack of weight at the ferrule stations. The effects are so extreme that, if you were to take a typical taper designed for nickel silver ferrules, and altered only the female ferrule station to make a bamboo-ferruled rod, it would likely need a line one full weight heavier than originally intended. Many don't like the look of bamboo ferrules, but I think they look very organic and love the economy of materials. I think that is one reason many makers stick with minimal wraps and simple cork seats on their bamboo-ferruled rods--Argentinian maker Marcelo Calviello (who tends toward bold tiger-stripe flaming, dark, colorful wraps, and fancy-grain woods/nickel silver seats) being a notable exception. I think bamboo ferrules hold great promise for faster rod actions (and slow rods that don't feel logy) and ultralight rods, which is where I'll be focussing my own rod-making efforts in the future. -CC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:55 pm • # 7 

I am curious as to why there have been no attempts to build a spigot bamboo ferrule as is done with graphite and glass. Some of the slimline bamboo ferrules come close, but a separate, smaller diameter spigot of graphite or some other material would allow the taper to flow smoothly without the pregnant female ferrule look. The center of the female ferrule would simply be drilled out to accept the spigot. If I was a builder, I guarantee I would have tried this already. Don

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm • # 8 

Try it out Don! Take an old 9' junker rod and see if you can make it work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:46 pm • # 9 

Don,
There actually have been some bamboo spigot-ferruled rods. The problem they exhibit is that the greatly reduced amount of "wood" makes the ferrule too flexible and the action collapses. The fix for this involves making the bamboo spigot with a core of some other material, like solid graphite, but these designs have been less than fully successful (Wojnicki builds very pricey rods with round, 100% graphite spigot and fiberglass ferrules, btw). A most interesting approach by some european makers is to barely swell the female side, tapering the inside to accept a male shoulder, and reverse swell (swhrink?) the male side with full-thickness power fibers. The shoulder is critical to keep the ferrule from being more flexible than the rod. And some of you guys thought bamboo development stopped in the '50's--ha!!
-CC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:11 pm • # 10 

I try to keep up with the various experimentation, but see no point to having a bamboo spigot at all. It can't be made thin enough. Why not build a 1 piece blank, cut it in two sections, drill both ends to accept a graphite spigot, and glue the spigot permanently to one section? If the female is not strong enough for this, mortise the cane around a graphite sleeve. Don

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply