It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: My first Sage!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:07 pm • # 1 

After being an "Orvis Guy" forever, I finally got my first Sage: a Triple-Ought TXL.

I've used Orvis rods almost exclusively since I began Fly Fishing- Not necessarily out of brand loyalty, but mostly because I love the Superfine series of rods. (I even like the new Trout Bum Superfines, despite the faster action). My "go to" rod for a long time has been my 704-2 Superfine 4wt (the model with a maroon blank and the green case). In fact, aside from a 6'6" Walmart rod, the 704-2 Superfine was my only fly rod. In the past 3-4 months I made a couple long awaited additions to my rod quiver: a 761-4 Superfine Trout Bum and a 905-4 Helios.

I have had my eye on the Triple Ought ever since I began expanding my rod collection. I messaged back and forth with Highlander a few times to get some firsthand information about fishing the rod. I read everything google could dig up on the entire TXL series and especially anything I could find on the 000. I broke down and ordered one from Leland a couple weeks ago. It took a little longer than I expected to get here, but it was definitely worth the wait.

First, the rod is quality. Of course, I'm not the pickiest guy when it comes to cork and wraps and such, but, to me, this rod is gorgeous. I first stuck a BBS I with Sage QDT Double Ought Line on the rod. I don't have any Triple Ought Line yet, and the way that this rod cast with the 00, I might not bother getting any. It was windy today in western NC, but the TXL still cast great. I then stuck a BBS I with Orvis Gen3 Wonderline WF1F on the rod. I could feel the rod load quicker and could shoot more distance, so I think I'll be using both lines dependant on the situation I'm fishing. The BBS I reel itself felt rather well on the rod, but I may try a lighter reel later. Perhaps a Sage 3100 or Click, or maybe a Bass Pro Shop White River Ultralight reel.

So far, I am quite pleased with the rod. I am anxious to fish it, but it will be next week before I can break it in. I'm headed out to Alabama to be with my brother as he has some tests run at a hospital in Florence. Then it's on to my brother's house in Henderson TN where I'll help him upgrade his kitchen cabinets as he recovers from the tests. So I'll be so busy I won't even notice I'm not fishing. ; )

All in all, a beautiful rod.

BTW, I got in on the 100 flies for $20 from Gene and they are awesome flies! And he sent me well over 100! Me and the kids have been admiring them ever since they arrived.

And thanks to Highlander for his help in selecting this rod.

And thanks to Andy for buying my older model Superfine 1wt so I could buy this rod.

Actually thanks to this whole community- I have learned volumes from lurking here. : )

Last edited by jds on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:16 pm • # 2 

Awesome! Now, you need to post some pictures of you chasing big fish on it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:27 pm • # 3 

Right on, Andy! I'd love to get some "Rod n' Pig" pics with this beauty. : )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:33 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Congrats on the new rod. I can't wait to read about all your adventures with it.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:04 pm • # 5 

Thanks J. Appreciate the thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:18 pm • # 6 
Administrator

We'll await your reports. Those TXL sage rods are definitely worth the wait - many view these latest generation rods with the highest regard and yours should be no exception. I have a VPS light in the 3WT 8'9" - it has the LL series in its heritage is the finest 3 weight made in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:57 am • # 7 

I have a 00wt., 1wt., and a 3wt. in TXL. I love the TXL! I have a Sage 3100 for the 3 and 00 and use a lamson litespeed 1 for the 1wt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:08 am • # 8 

Hmmm......a 000wt......I saw a complete kit sans the epoxy, glue and thread on ebay last night......included cork, seat/insert, guides and the TXL 000wt blank for like $275. Such a temptation.

David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:09 am • # 9 

That's not a bad price David.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply