It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:48 am • # 1 

I have recently been testing two models of English flylines, the Snowbee Delicate Presentation and the Airflo Ridgeline Presentation. What sets these lines apart are the long front tapers, 16 feet for the Snowbee and 10 for the Airflo. The Ridgeline incorporates a bit of marketing hype, as the ridges are only observable under 10x magnification, and certainly not to the touch. I cannot imagine that they actually hold any additional water as lubricant as claimed.

However, the Ridgeline actually is super slick through the guides, faster and smoother than any other brand I have tried. I don't know whether it is slickness or some other factor, but the line is also faster through the air than any other, with the exception of some intermediates. The lichen green color is more of a khaki, which is quite stealthy. I also have a hard-to-get Japan Special in persimmon orange and has a softer coating. The Airflo Presentation is available in WF and DT. The lines have welded loops on both ends, even on the WF. These lines have "saved" several finicky rods from permanent residence in the closet.

The Snowbee line has me a bit confused, as I want to go up a line weight to get things to click. I would imagine with more of the head out it would load better, but then this is not the range the line is designed for. The Snowbee comes with a bottle of cleaner and is available through Snowbee USA at a great price. Don

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:02 am • # 2 

Don, I have heard good things about Snowbee lines.

Also, Airflo makes lines for the English market only? I was unaware of that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:17 am • # 3 

Do you mean Japan only? Airflo is an English company but did market a special line in Japan. The Japanese evidently are into delicate presentation due to their smaller fish and streams, I am told. Don

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:54 am • # 4 

Yes, that is what I meant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:46 am • # 5 

When I used to be a guide my boss started carrying Airflo lines and we had them on all of our guide rods. They fished pretty good until the weather got cold. The lines had memory like a new leader and forget about doing anything about it. I have heard that the lines are great now, but I have had such great luck with Cortland lines that I don't bother wasting my money on Brit lines. (I miss the days when I was a guide and the lines were free!) Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:52 am • # 6 
Administrator

I lean heavily towards Cortland lines these days. Good stuff.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:22 am • # 7 

I was testing a rod this afternoon that had cast best with a WF6F. True to my experience, I was able to kick down a line weight to a WF5F in a Ridgeline presentation. I would estimate that the lines are 20% faster through the air than other lines and shoot 20% further. Nothing wrong with Cortland, S.A.s or the others. It is just that the Ridgelines outperforms them. I have not cast a SA sharkskin, but supposedly they utilize a similar theory to reduce friction. The reduction in friction is the key. Don

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:42 am • # 8 
Administrator

Don,
I own the ridgeline in WF5 - it's nice stuff. I would be interested in this line in 2 or 3wt either DT or WF.

As for the Sharkskin, I had a positive experience- while fishing the White River in AR fishing with John Wilson and using his gear. It lays out nicely straight without memory and has no par when knocking ice out of frozen guides. Seems to float well too. Maybe there's something positive to the friction thing; although, Mark Pincel claims the stuff is bad for guides because of the loud "zing" the line makes traveling through the guides.

As of lately I have experimented more with Cortland and it has impressed me with the suppleness and smooth coating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:54 am • # 9 

At least the SA zings. Varnish silk makes a rasping noise. In fact, with imbedded grit, silk lines have been compared to a flexible file. I doubt the sharkskin is as bad. I really like a supple flyline. However, those miniscule ridges on the Airflo are the cat's meow. If you happen to find a 2 or 3 weight Ridgeline Presentation on sale, please holler. Don

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:39 am • # 10 
Administrator

I don't think I've ever seen a 2wt line from Airflo, and certainly not a 1wt.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:04 pm • # 11 

Airflo makes a WF2F in their Tactical Trout J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:40 pm • # 12 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
Airflo makes a WF2F in their Tactical Trout J.
I'm not paying $60.00 for a line when I can get a H&H for $30.00 or Cortland 444 classic lines for $50.00.

J.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply