It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: A bunch of UL rods
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:30 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Phillip (pkrotine) came down to my house today, and brought his UL rods, and some fly tying gear. Phillip showed up with an Orvis 7'6" 1wt Trout Bum, Scott F 6'6" 2wt Glass rod, Scott G 7'7" 3wt, and the Orvis special edition Clearwater 7'6" 3wt. A couple of his reels worth mentioning are the Orvis CFO which I love, and a Ross Colorado 0. Les now I know why you love these Colorado's so much. Very nice reel.
We took Phillip's rods, and my Lamiglas 7' 3wt, Orvis 7'6" 3wt superfine RM, Matrix 2wt, and Fenwick 535 down to the creek for some casting fun. It was raining, and the water turned chocolate, so the fish didn't bite, but we had fun casting rods in the rain.
The Scott F is a sweet rod, has a nice short game but still has the power to reach 40 with little effort. The Orvis 1wt Trout Bum is really cool too. While it's short game isn't all that, when you get a bit of line out, it really is a great casting rod. You can get some serious distance with this thing (for a 1wt). It was pretty windy and all these rods handled the wind just fine.
Phillip wanted my opinion on the Scott G 3wt, as he felt that it might not be a 3wt. We did the CCS on it, and it's really a 4wt. I didn't cast it, but I should have. I'll get around to it though next time we meet up.
Phillip was really digging my Lami 3wt, and he wants to build one up. It really is a sweet glass rod.

After our casting session, we sat down to tie some flies. I tied the Hot Spot PTN, and Phillip tied up some Hot Spot PT soft hackles. Too bad the weather wasn't all that nice today we could have had some fishing pics too.

We are going to plan a trip to a lake just south of me for some pickerel fishing since neither of us has caught a mini pike yet. As soon as the weather around here cooperates, we are going.

Here's a pic of the rods.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:12 pm • # 2 

Looks like a great day...some of my best times have been with good friends and non biting fish....I have a question...what is the ccs test and how do you do it...I realize it is to determine the line weight of a rod...but, was wondering how it is done...Rob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:20 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Rob, there is too much to CCS for me to just type it out for you. The best thing to do is just read it all. Here is a link to the CCS site. http://www.common-cents.info/

J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:31 pm • # 4 

That looks like too much fun, and many nice rods! I am excited to hear what Phillip has to say about the Fenwick!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:31 pm • # 5 

Thanks J...did not mean to steal the thread...sure is a bunch of good looking outfits you have there...Rob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:58 pm • # 6 
Administrator

J,
That looks like quite an arsenal- I would love to have been a fly on the wall with all the ros you guys handled. Sometimes the fish don't have to be on the bite for good company and fines rods;) By the way, those Colorado series 0 and 1 are mazing reels- worth the efforet to catch one on eBay.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:09 pm • # 7 
Global Moderator

sorry for the late reply fellas!

I cant say enough positive thing about that Lami rod. such a sweet rod. defiantly my next rod to build... and that hook and hackle line is sweet! better than some Orvis lines I know of (hahah)

Andy, if you can find one of those rods BUY IT! such a nice little rod, although as Jeremy would say I feels it needs a 2 wt and it will preform greatly. although I never got to try a two on it because as Jeremy was switching spools, it started to go into a torrential down pour of sorts.

Les you are right about those reels. When I sold my Colorado I, the last hour had 14 bids. I couldn't believe it.

Rod, CCS is great, but Jeremy is right, and you do need to read the website, to in my eyes, do it correctly. and it seems really accurate. As they say numbers don't lie.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply