It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:00 am • # 1 
Administrator

I've been looking at a bunch of different fly reels, and some are nice, and some aren't so nice. The price of a decent fly reel, when compared to a decent spinning reel, is just a rip off.
Why? There are many more parts to a spinning reel that need to be assembled, and that means more labor cost when compared to a fly reel. I just feel like we in the fly fishing community are being screwed with the high costs of a lot of fly fishing tackle.
What are all your thoughts on this?

J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:10 am • # 2 

J....

I've thought about this too. Look at baitcasting reels.....multiple gears.....level winds automatically......very high tech manufacturing, yet they are most of the time cheaper than fly reels that are much more simple....

I don't get it!

David

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:16 am • # 3 

While I agree with fly reels being overpriced, you have to consider the numbers when comparing fly reels to bait casters and spinning reels. The expense in CNC machining is in the set-up cost. This expense is recuperated by the volume produced. When you look at the number of fly reels produced as compared to the the number of other types of reels, the higher price is expected although IMHO grossly exaggerated. Fly fishing started as a sport for royalty.........I guess the prices still reflect that era.

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:23 am • # 4 

J. ,find a recent copy of Fly Fish America - 2009 Annual Gear Guide - "Inside Ross Reels". If you can't find one send me your addy and I will mail you a copy. The answer is in there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:45 am • # 5 
Administrator

Rockthief wrote:
J. ,find a recent copy of Fly Fish America - 2009 Annual Gear Guide - "Inside Ross Reels". If you can't find one send me your addy and I will mail you a copy. The answer is in there.
Lucky for me the 2009 gear guide is available online. The words that stick out to me in that article are "what the market is willing to pay for it". Apparently the market likes to get screwed with inflated prices.
I'm going to say here that imported middle to high end reels are a rip when compared to middle to high end spinning and casting reels. I don't spin fish nor do I plan to, but I'm not willing to pay these prices that the market seems to be demanding. No new reel for me, no one is getting my money.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:19 am • # 6 

"The words that stick out to me in that article are "what the market is willing to pay for it". Apparently the market likes to get screwed with inflated prices. "

That is a true statement in alot of flyfishing circles. The amount folks pay for teir equipment becomes a matter of perceived status.

Try a little experiment sometime. Go to some of the other well known national flyfishing sites. Ask the question, "I have a small pond behind my house, it has some bluegills and a few 12 inch bass in it. I'd like to try flyfishing a couple of evenings this summer, what kind of equipment should I buy." I'll guarantee several of the responses will advise our friend to purchase a $400 - $500 outfit, complete with machined disk drag reel. I've seen this scenario played out repeatedly. DO you think the so called expert could ever be happy fishing with a $30 dollar Medalist? In their minds, it's impossible to catch a fish with a reel like that, forget about the 100s of thousands of fish of every species that have been happily caught over the past 60 or 70 years using equipment of that ilk.

I'd be willing to bet if some reel manufactures would cut their prices in half, their number of units sold might decrease.

I guess that's what great about our country (at least for the time being) people can choose to sell and buy whatever they so desire.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:23 am • # 7 
Administrator

Well, you know, I'd actually buy a Medalist if they didn't weigh a ton. That's also a problem with all these spazzed out large arbor reels too, they weigh too much for UL rods.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:15 am • # 8 

You hit on something there J. UL reels may utilize more expensive metals and machining to save weight. Course the Dennison is one of the best and very inexpensive. Tolerances are pretty close on fly reels. Just drop it on the pavement if you don't believe it. Don

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:43 pm • # 9 

I represent some of the discussion that has been kicked around.
I look at rip off, and overpriced as two different things.

Fly equipment is much like anything else....there is a range of products for consumers who want different things at different price points. At the end of the day, a beat up VW beetle will get you to work just like a new Caddy.
Same thing with reels, and rods.....all will catch fish.....just at different price points, and differences in quality and performance.

Much of what we use in flyfishing is a function of user preference. We also are somewhat at a disadvantage that for most of its history, flyfishing, and hence flyfishing equipment has not been associated with a blue collar sport.

I used to have a much higher paying job, no kids, and more disposable income......so I bought some higher end fly fishing equipment as part of the mid-life crisis prevention, and didn't want a blonde or convertible to replace my hair loss or watch dr. phil to learn more about how to feel better about myself.... Could I justify spending that kind of money today with 2 kids, and another on the way.....no.

Did the new equipment make me feel better? Probably not, I am still loosing hair, but I do like using them, and I was smiling when I put them together for the first time (and caught fish).

Anyway, I have 2 ross reel evos in 0wt and 3wt to go with matching wt sage txl, and use them almost all the time. They were expensive, but got deals on both the rods and reels online, and look at them as investments, with warranties.
Am hopeful that my girls will use them when I can no longer, and that it truly is an investment.

I have a number of less expensive sticks that I have used, and have enjoyed them too.....but do really enjoy the action and the setups for both of these rods.
I would rather have a couple of really nice reels and rods that I use, than a closet full of sticks and reels that don't get on the water.

Just my 2 cents......and happy monday!
0wtImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:02 pm • # 10 

Jeremy,
Not sure I totally agree. I'll give you an example.....I SHOP! I have a 2wt rod & when searching for a reel, I found the Ross Flycast I on closeout at Gander Mountain for 30 bucks. It balances very well, & I have to say, having spin fished & bait casted for 40+ years, that spinning or baitcasting reels at that price would be absolute JUNK!.....Bushings rather than ball bearings, graphite housings & spare spools as opposed to aluminum....you name it, they'll find a way to cheapen it, & these are reels that you rely upon from a mechanical viewpoint. Fly reels are basically (ESPECIALLY for UL) "line holders"....That reel will last a lifetime unless dropped. The spinning and/or baitcasting reel has to be replaced a number of times due to worn out gears, etc. If we care for our lines, they last years..ever check the price of Spiderwire (replaced annually, or more often) & some of the others opposed to fly lines & tippets? Crankbaits as opposed to flies? I feel the expense goes beyond the reel & we have a great bargain in fly fishing.
Mikey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:03 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Paul, You mention warranties in your post. That's one of the things about the cost of fly gear that makes it more expensive than the vast majority of conventional gear.
I don't like the fact that we are essentially buying two reels, or rods, when we make a purchase. I think that most gear should have a limited one year warranty.
The cost would come down for us then. How many spinning reels have a lifetime warranty? I'm not sure on that one, but I'm sure it's not that many.
I just think that we are being duped, and I'm tired of it. Somethings have got to change with the fly fishing industry, or there isn't going to be much of one in the future.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:10 pm • # 12 
Administrator

I'm still amazed that I pay 2-3 times what I used to pay for the equivalent in conventional tackle. Now when I think about it, I 've resigned myself to the idea that the sport that I love costs more than most.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:26 pm • # 13 

J:

I would agree, and that the costs are higher than they should be.
One thing is that several of the higher cost reels are made in US and machined here....higher labor costs, etc.

I guide part time and warranties are important to me in that aspect. I am in the process of trying to pick up some equipment at more reasonable prices, that also have warranties.

On a side note, and one that I see as a positive, Cabelas and BPS are selling rods and reels that are being made by some of the bigger firms at pretty reasonable prices.
For example, Cabelas has a watershed fly reel that is really a ross evo cage (machined a little different) and a ross airius spool that is about $80-100 less than a ross evo.

Part of it is probably supply and demand........lots of big box retailers selling cheap stuff (although ugly sticks are pretty good rods for the price point for spinning)......

With luck, if more people are chucking feathers than worms, prices will be lower.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:51 pm • # 14 

I personally wish I could find handmade reels at a reasonable prices...What is missing in the Fly reel market is the passion of making something by hand then selling it at a fair price...I know something of this..years ago I made handmade cedar hunting arrows for the bowhunting fraternity...Just sold to friends and dedicated bowhunters who shunned compound bows and were more into traditional archery...I would give a person money off if I was not completely happy with my work...even tho they thought it was good...Passion for what you make and love of a sport...I recently got a rod that the maker gave me a discount cause...He was not happy with the colors...That my friends is what we tend to try to replace..In my opinion..you cannot put a dollar amount on passion and pride in ones work....Now if you can afford the prices for the reels and they make you happy...and need the warranty...go for it...I like the personal touch you can get from someone who loves what they do..and when I find a good,trustworthy, reel maker I will go that route...
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:19 pm • # 15 

Is most fly fishing equipment 20-50% above what it should cost? I think so, most of the time. This is a sport for the rich and I hope it stays that way or I'll never afford a high end rod again. Rich people need to be the, or keep up with the Joneses, so when the newest space age rod / reel comes out he's got to ditch that old model. Good thing about the rich is they don't have time to fish much. One of my Sage TXL rods I own listed on ebay as "fished a few times" when I got it it looked factory new and had a blank warranty card. It was $260.00 1/2 off MSRP. I have picked up Sage 3100's for 1/2 off as well and spools for 1/3 MSRP. Gotta love when they change colors or models. I picked up a Lamson Litespeed 1 (the new one) for $150 with backing and sage DT 2wt. Once again except for the reel having line on it, you would have thought it was factory new in the box. What I do is search ebay daily after I check my email I search 0, 1, 2, 3wt. fly rod, fly reel, buy it now. I do about a 15 minute search a night while watching TV and usually find a good deal about every 4 months. You need to do it daily because most killer deals don't last one full day. Hope this helps. FH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:18 am • # 16 

I would say Bob Dennison is probably your reel maker Rob. He certainly has a popular following on this board. He sometimes will create a one-of-a-kind reel. I have a 2" special edition drag model. There are a couple of trout reel builders, but except for Bill Ballan, they are very expensive. Those reels are way heavy for UL though. Don

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:41 am • # 17 

I have some Sage and Orvis rods along with Lamson and Ross reels, I have only paid list price for 1 Ross reel and it was a gift for my wife.
Everything else I have gotten at about half off list. I can't afford and will not pay list prices for most items. I have never had to use the lifetime warranty on a rod or reel yet. Knock on wood. I hope I never need the warranty. There are lots of great stuff for sale on fishing sites and e-bay. I have bought several that way too.
Johnny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:16 am • # 18 
Administrator

Rob,
Hand made reels and or lures are something you'll see on eBay or NFLCC meets. Long ago when the Meeks, Gayles, and other USA made reels were coming about, there were folks who created and built their own tackle. Some of these would have enough demand because of the quality and consistency of product that an actual line of reels would be created. Even then parts were machined, punched or cast to be assembled by hand. But visual inspection was the key- products would not leave the factory unless they met vigorous standards. Terms likes "honor built, honor sold" meant something.
Today, Ross reels and a few others have serious manufacturing standards- in fairness, you should consider the cost and the quality of these companies. I feel they measure up.

Les

Les

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:28 am • # 19 
Administrator

I don't think this is a rich guys hobby. I think it's just like most other hobbies of mine... including mtn biking. The equipment ranges in price from pretty cheap to outrageously expensive. We just tend to appreciate (and want) the nicer stuff more than the cheaper.

You can buy a mtn bike at Walmart for $150 that weighs a ton or a high-end lightweight titanium framed bike for $7000. Both have wheels, pedals, gears, and a seat. The lighter you go the more expensive things tend to be. Machining and build quality also gets better as the price goes up. I don't have any rich mtn biking buddies but I do have friends that are riding $5K bikes and driving '96 Honda's.

In the same way I don't have any rich fly fishing buddies but I do have some friends with some very nice gear. They scrimp and save, sell off gear, and hunt for bargains like the rest of us. Of course you don't have to be rich to be a fly-fishing snob/purist/jerk and we've probably all run into these guys. Fortunately they're few and far between here in Texas--it's hard to be a purist when you're wading in swamps, sweating like a pig, and the guy next to you is fishing circles around you with an Ugly Stick and grape worms Image

All my rich friends play golf Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:03 pm • # 20 

After watching this thread, I have to voice my opinion. The only cheap reel currently being made that is worth the money is the Dennison. Everything else is a joke. The Ross Flycast is not worth the price IMO, and for $35, I have picked up an Abu Garcia Cardinal 100 spinning reel that serves me well. Conventional tackle is so much more affordable that it makes me giggle. The cost of tippet is a complete joke. I just respooled an empty tippet spool with some Maxima Ultragreen 2# (6x) that I paid $8 for 250 yards of. Honestly, the price of everything in fly fishing is making me reconsider what I need to spend my money on.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply