It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:56 pm • # 21 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
After watching this thread, I have to voice my opinion. The only cheap reel currently being made that is worth the money is the Dennison. Everything else is a joke. The Ross Flycast is not worth the price IMO, and for $35, I have picked up an Abu Garcia Cardinal 100 spinning reel that serves me well. Conventional tackle is so much more affordable that it makes me giggle. The cost of tippet is a complete joke. I just respooled an empty tippet spool with some Maxima Ultragreen 2# (6x) that I paid $8 for 250 yards of. Honestly, the price of everything in fly fishing is making me reconsider what I need to spend my money on.
First, your right about the Dennison. The best UL reel deal on the planet, period. To bad it's going to be too small and light to be practical on the Dorber 9' 2wt when I get it built.

Second, conventional tackle is priced right, although I refuse to go back to that type of fishing. No inflated life time warranties and other BS. The business model on the FF industry is the complete opposite of the conventional market. Maybe the FF industry should take a hard look at Rick Pope's TFO business model and asked themselves what they are doing wrong, and what Rick is doing right.

Tippet too, is a rip off unless you always buy it from Sierra Trading Post. I just got a spool of Redington 7x for .40 cents when I ordered my new wet wading shoes. Since I have gone back to flourocarbon for the vast majority of my fishing needs, I refuse to pay the price they are asking for Flouro tippet spools. $10.00 plus for a 30 yard spool? Thats just nuts. I went to Walmart and picked up a 110 yard spool of Berkley Trilene 100% Flourocarbon for the same price as a tippet spool. I got the 4lbs. which is the same diameter as 4x tippet. Works great by the way.

Saving money is another reason I started building my own rods. I'm not paying large sums of money only to have a rod with shoddy workmanship.
I appologize for being a complainer in this thread, but something has got to give with the FF industry, or there won't be much of one in the near future.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:10 pm • # 22 

I started buying spools of flourocarbon fishing line instead of tippet a few years ago. I was at the Bass Pro Shop in Springfiled MO when I was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood and asked the guy working the fly fishing department what the difference was between flouro tippet and flouro fishing line of the exact same diameter.

His answer?

Price.

Needless to say I haven't bought a spool of tippet since.

David

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply