It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:32 am • # 1 
Administrator

All,
As many of you may know my wife Kay's a good sport to put up with me and my UL hobby, so recently when testing out Barry's 6'8"Kettle creek at a recent Texas Fresh Waters Fisheries outing I decided I couldn't live without the rod so I went on an ebay selling rampage to pay for it. After some prodding from Kay reminding me to get it paid in full -NOW -she decided to make the 6'8" my anniversary gift. Lucky me.
This past weekend at the Glassic, I brought my Kettle creek and Barry brought his new 6'-3", 2 piece rod. Although it's slower than the 6'8", this rod is a roll casters dream. It's got lots of reserve power in the but and can throw 3DT or 4WF with ease. I put the two side by side and though of different situations where it would shine. Jerry's lake in Frisco came to mind or any smaller creek for that matter. Image
From the photos you'll see it has Batson, uplocking Nickel Silver reel seat with a stabilized Spalted Teak insert & 1/2" butt cap
1 stripping guide with the remaining 6 guides being single foot snakes (black)
The rod is wrapped with a rust thread with a black trim & checks (intergraded spiral wrap at the butt)
Grip is a modified western style done in burl cork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:39 am • # 2 

Good choice of reel! The Riffles have my attention and are available at a good price.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:07 pm • # 3 

Les
Great review, thanks for posting it!
Here's my take on this blank/rod;
For a shorter rod this little stick is surprisingly smooth and powerful. Compared to the 6'-8" Riffle it has a slower action that to me, is reminiscent of Bamboo. It has a lot of the same qualities that one finds in Bamboo, such as a parabolic action, the ability to make short accurate casts yet the power to air out some fly line if necessary. And as Les stated it'll roll cast with the best of them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:30 pm • # 4 

Super cool Les.....I like it.

I especially like the shape of the grip......hmmmm.......I'm thinking of.........how it would look on a 2wt Ultraweave......

David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:57 am • # 5 
Administrator

I like it too.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:24 am • # 6 

David
I normally don't care for the small diameter grips but after using this style on 4 or 5 of the 3/4 Kettle Creeks I'm beginning to reconsider that opinion. Although this grip has a smaller diameter, I haven't found that it cramps my hand after a lot of casting. Plus, IMO, it looks a lot better on these lighter rods.
I can't take credit for the grip design though. I copied the dimensions of one of Phil's grips.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply