It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:01 pm • # 1 

I know we all probably use the installed loops and a Permanent Leader Butt system of some sort, however, check this link out!

http://www.furledleaders....k/furled_leader_knot.html

You can attach your furled leader to your fly line permanently. It creates a smooth connection for passing through the guides, and gives you the chance to keep that fish that makes a last second dash, when your leader is in the guides. I am planning on doing this on my 2wt this winter. I will post pictures as it goes!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:14 pm • # 2 
Administrator

• I create my own loop in the end of the fly-line by using the acetone trick and stripping about 1.5" of plastic from the end of the line.
  • I then use a large needle to "un-braid" about 3/4" of the nylon core.
  • Once I have it un-braided I separate the fibers into 2 equal size groups and snip 1 group off.
  • Then I run a medium sized needle up the center of the fly-line for about 1/2" and make it exit the side through the plastic coating.
  • I thread the remaining unfurled core fibers into the eye of the needle, grab the opposite end of the needle (protruding through the side of the plastic coating) with a pin-vise, put a couple of drops of super-glue on the exposed core fibers, and pull the unfurled fibers back up into the plastic coated section of the line and out the side.
  • Then trim off the core fibers poking through the side of the line and put a small drop of super-glue on the hole.
  • The super-glue prevents the core from pulling back out *and* seals the end of the line to prevent water from being wicked up the core.
This is what the finished loop looks like on a 2 wt line. I loosened up the furled leader to take the pic. The red arrow point to the spot in the coating where the core was pulled up and out the side of the coating, and then trimmed off and sealed with a drop of glue.

Next time I do one, I'll take a series of pics--it's hard to explain but easy to do. Takes about 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:25 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Those are some neat tricks guys. I have very hard time thinking about doing anything to my lines like that. Lines are a big investment money wise, and I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm always afraid I'll really screw the line up. If the line doesn't have a welded loop already, then I'll use the braided loop connectors or I'll nail knot a short piece of mono on the line and tie a perfection loop on the end. Those two work OK for me.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:31 pm • # 4 

My only issue with the nail knot/perfection PLB is that it hangs in the guides when my leader is longer than my rod. I am going to try the first one with the Aquaseal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:29 pm • # 5 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
My only issue with the nail knot/perfection PLB is that it hangs in the guides when my leader is longer than my rod.

Yeah, I have the same problem with a nail knot on my 2wt. The tip-top guide is fairly small and a nail-knot hangs up constantly.

I actually learned this trick from Joe Robinson, the super nice Austin Angler/Orvis Austin/ guy (who also gets mention in the Texas story of one of John Gierach's books). I took some casting lessons from Joe years ago and afterwards he showed me how to create these loops in the line.

Joe, at the time, was cutting the first 35' off his lines and creating one of these loops at the back of the 35' section, which he then used to attach to a loop in the running line that stayed on the reel. Instead of buying extra spools for all of his lines Joe could quickly strip the 35' head off the reel, coil it, and store in a case made for Shooting Heads. He could then put a different line on the same reel using the existing running line. This takes about 5 minutes. Longer than swapping a spool, but a heck of a lot cheaper than buying extra spools if you have several lines (floating/intermediate/sinking) for each line weight.

Most of my lines are now 35-40' heads which attach to a semi-permanent running line on each of my reels. I eventually figured out that the same type of loop on the front of the line works great for looped and furled leaders.

I can understand being wary about messing with the front of an expensive line, but I have yet to screw one up, and it goes through guides easier and picks up less scum in the water than the nail-knotted butt sections I have on some of my heavier lines.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply