It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Briminators!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:52 am • # 1 

After hearing all the praise heaped here on the Briminator, and being as I'm trying to survive the longest, darkest days of winter here in the frozen north by sipping whiskey at the fly tying desk, I decided that I needed a few of these for my second annual bluegill/largemouth excursion to SC in April.

Also, my new neighbour converted the abandoned farm next door to a versatile gun dog (griffon) breeding and training operation :applause , complete with pen-raised pheasants, chukars and quail, so I've got a pretty major (and free) supply of the necessary feathers. I've had to quit hunting grouse in the woods and orchard behind my place now that he's using them, but all the free feathers takes some of the sting out of it. Besides, I just recently did a bathroom reno, and have a supply of chrome plug chain in two sizes. :lol

Well, those little buggers are so fun and simple to tie that it becomes addictive. I tied up a dozen in #10 in natural colours and every time I took one out of the vise, I'd think "that ain't pretty, but it sure is buggy".
So I tied a few up in brighter greens and yellows, then a few with red 'tails', then I tied a few up in #6 for smallies (in natural and chartreuse), then I thought I'd better have some in #12 and #14 for our much smaller local sunfish and maybe even yellow perch.

I kind of want to keep tying them, but I still have a bunch of other flies to replace over the winter. Now, if they were any good on trout (and I cannot imagine why they wouldn't be), that would be exactly the rationale I need to pump out some more. Anyone here ever use them for trout? Specifically, brookies?
brent

Post subject: Re: Briminators!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:20 am • # 2 

Not intentionally, three years ago before going to Honduras I thought that all the stockers were fished out. So I was fishing for some gills in the city park. landed two on the briminator and 15 or 20 gills. In my honest opinion I think they will work for just about anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:24 pm • # 3 

I would say it is much like the Wooly Bugger, fished with the right sizes I am sure fish that feed on bugs will take it. I have caught a few big bass, two to 3.5 lbs with them although unintentionally.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:37 pm • # 4 

That's good enough for me! I'll await cocktail hour and get back at it. thanks!
brent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:33 pm • # 5 

Confirmed again this morning. Trout will readily take a briminator. Mine are tied on a #14 Curved Shank. If you look closely you can see the bead chain inside his mouth.

Last edited by mbarker68x on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:57 pm • # 6 

Great! So, what are you using for legs (collar hackle) on the 14s?
Dang. We're still 3.5 months from opening day.
brent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:04 pm • # 7 

I use the one feather method. tail and body are tied with the marabou type material at the bottom portion of Ringneck Pheasant Cathedral feather. The body is the same material just twisted into a dubbing loop and then the hackle is just a few wraps of the tip of the same feather.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:40 pm • # 8 

Ah. The cathedral feather. Good hint, thanks.
brent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:48 pm • # 9 

Linecaster and mbarker are probably right about it, but it I were you, I wouldn't take their word for it. I would take whatever Briminators were left over after being attacked in South Carolina by bluegills, bass, and alligators back up North and ask the local fontinalis population what they thought!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:34 pm • # 10 

PampasPete wrote:
Linecaster and mbarker are probably right about it, but it I were you, I wouldn't take their word for it. I would take whatever Briminators were left over after being attacked in South Carolina by bluegills, bass, and alligators back up North and ask the local fontinalis population what they thought!

Sounds like a good plan, Pete. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:20 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Great fly for any fish. Have fun!

Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:35 pm • # 12 

I can confirm they work well for trout. I caught a few last winter on the Guadalupe on my 2 wt but was reluctant to use that outfit often because of the larger trout in that pool.

Back home in Manitoba this summer I used one as a dropper with a leech point fly and hooked a huge brown. Unfortuantely the briminator was tied on with 6# test and as I was pulling the brown closer to my float tube to net him he did a strong head shake and broke off. Within 15 minutes I caught a nice 24" rainbow on the leech pattern and both my friend and I agreed the brown had been bigger.

So yes, the briminator works on trout!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:40 am • # 13 

here's one tied with the one "church window" feather-p-
here's the feather:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:03 am • # 14 

Buggy looking!
We're renovating my son's bathroom right now, and I came home with a lifetime supply of briminator eyes on the weekend :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:28 am • # 15 

Gene, that ought to be a killer for those huge bream in Lake Athens.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply