It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:47 am • # 1 

I am new to tying and ran into a problem I hope someone on the UL forum can help me with.

The dyed hackle feathers I buy locally are too large for the size 12 and 14's woolly buggers I am tying. Using just the tips seems like a large waste. Is there such a thing as small dyed hackle feathers suitable for UL sized flies? Searched the web and came up dry.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:28 pm • # 2 

It IS a problem. I've found that occasionally the Whiting dry fly capes will have a few at the back of the cape that are way too webby to be considered for dry fly tying, and I pluck these out and store them for just the purpose you mentioned. But it is definitely hit and miss when it comes to coming up with a supply for smaller buggers. Hopefully someone else here will have an answer, because I'd like to hear it, too.
Other than that, all I can say is that you have to buy a lot of very cheap (Chinese?) hen capes to get a good supply.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:44 pm • # 3 

Wheezeburnt,

Thanks for the reply. Ditto on picking through to find a few smaller feathers. Too much waste and hit or miss trying to use "tips".

Hopefully some one on the UL forum will have a source for these small hackle feathers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:07 am • # 4 

Perhaps schlappen from the craft store?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:39 pm • # 5 

Frustrating indeed, I use dry fly hackle for those sizes but you end up limited by cost/color and the fibers tend to be a bit stiff. The cheap rooster saddle may be the way to go.

I've been using a good bit of schlappen lately and I don't think you could get it that small.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:16 am • # 6 

Whiting Bugger Packs have a few patches of feathers with softer barbs than dry hackles, and if you look through a few packs at the fly shop, you can pick one with smaller #10-12 feathers.

I've also ordered long flatwing hackles from the featheremporium.com, but the stems seem to be oddly shaped (triangular?) and don't palmer well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:45 pm • # 7 

you usually can't get them by ordering; I think the guys scarf up the good ones when they come in. Sometimes you can get lucky and find them at a well stocked fly shop but I know your pain. I still have one cape with excellent small feathers which I use sparingly-p-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:27 pm • # 8 

Hey guys, I breezed over the suggestions and I don't think anyone hit on Hen feathers. Not Game Bird feathers for wets such as Partridge, but I'm referring to the all mighty chicken. Or even Indian Hen. These feathers are absolutely PERFECT for smaller sized Buggers, or any submersible that requires a full bodied hackle......and to make things better, it's cheap as dirt. The fibers aren't as stiff as Dry hackle, but they aren't as soft and webby as Schlappen. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:28 pm • # 9 

Hey guys, I breezed over the suggestions and I don't think anyone hit on Hen feathers. Not Game Bird feathers for wets such as Partridge, but I'm referring to the all mighty chicken. Or even Indian Hen. These feathers are absolutely PERFECT for smaller sized Buggers, or any submersible that requires a full bodied hackle......and to make things better, it's cheap as dirt. The fibers aren't as stiff as Dry hackle, but they aren't as soft and webby as Schlappen. I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply