It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Vise Recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:13 am • # 1 

Ok... The heavy rain, high water and lack of caught fish lately has me really wanting to get into tying flies. I've read the Ohio Vise showdown and watched a ton of videos, read articles and such but I thought I'd mill it over here a bit and see what you guys thought. It's always more helpful to talk about it a bit.

I've never tied before, but I would consider myself a craftsman. I do TONS of stuff already with my hands and see no problem in learning a lot pretty quick. So I want a quality vise like all my tools that *probably* has all the functions I'd use now and forever.

I was first interested in the Apex by Anvil/Wolff Indiana at $100. It's small, built in the USA and would pack up and travel well and probably do 99% of what I wanted.

Then after some more reading a few people really put in a plug for full rotary vices which bumps the price another $50 or so. I'm not opposed to the price, I'm just not sure if I'd simply end up with both types of vices in the end anyways. ;) I'm that kind of guy... I do think the reverse hackle on the Tenkara flies and the dubbing for say "reversed spiders" would be nice to have especially if I simply work to learn it from the beginning.

For the full rotary vises all of them are basically the same price for the same function set.

-Atlas by Anvil/Wolff Indiana - $135 + $20 for the bobbin rest - $155
-Peak Rotary Vise - $155
-Renzetti Traveler - $165

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking. I know from the reviews people like all of them. I want to tie a bunch of Tenkara flies, some streamers, some San Juan Worms ;) and some Salmon eggs... Really though, I'd like to do some Chironomids, nymphs, dries and pretty much a bit of everything over time. You guys think simple is better or just go for one of the three full featured full rotary setups?

All of them look really nice. I like the way the Atlas looks, but I'm interested to know what you guys think based on what brands/vises you use already, or what you'd like to get in the future. Do you guys use the "full rotary" function and if so isn't the bobbin rest only needed if you do spin the fly? Does everyone over time have a smaller "travel" friendly vise they like to take or what? I feel like while on vacation tying flies would be awesome. So a vise and a couple tools plus a small baggie of materials and I'd probably have hours of play time.

Ready, Go...

Post subject: Re: Vise Recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:24 am • # 2 

I have the older Renzetti Traveler and like it a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:50 am • # 3 

I used to have the peak rotary vise when I was stationed in Texas from 2006-2013. Works really good for tying the bigger Bass bugs and all that. When I moved to Honduras for a year followed by Colorado two before I came back to Texas I started tying all the Trout flies and the standard jaws of the peak just didn't work out for me. I t was just two much vise to tie #26 and 28 flies. I switched over to the Apex Anvil that you mentioned. It works great for the small stuff, and now that I'm back in TX the bigger stuff as well up to #4 so far. The only thing lacking is the rotary option. Sure you can spin it and it rotates the fly to work on all sides, just not on the center axis. For that reason alone I'm looking at getting another peak rotary, with maybe another set of the midge jaws.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:19 pm • # 4 

mbarker68x wrote:
I used to have the peak rotary vise when I was stationed in Texas from 2006-2013. Works really good for tying the bigger Bass bugs and all that. When I moved to Honduras for a year followed by Colorado two before I came back to Texas I started tying all the Trout flies and the standard jaws of the peak just didn't work out for me. I t was just two much vise to tie #26 and 28 flies. I switched over to the Apex Anvil that you mentioned. It works great for the small stuff, and now that I'm back in TX the bigger stuff as well up to #4 so far. The only thing lacking is the rotary option. Sure you can spin it and it rotates the fly to work on all sides, just not on the center axis. For that reason alone I'm looking at getting another peak rotary, with maybe another set of the midge jaws.

So you liked the Peak but didn't care for the standard jaws as much for small flies and liked the Apex but want to move back to a rotary...

So having worked with the Apex have you thought about moving instead to the full rotary Atlas by the same guys? Is there a reason you'd move away from the Anvil/Wolff Indiana brand specifically?

I see myself working on #2,4,6 size big hooks for Salmon and 12-26 for trout. Probably about 50/50 for both since I seem to lose a bunch of my salmon flies to the river gods.

What I'm really looking forward to is getting me some quality barbless hooks... All the crappy hooks and lately I've broken a few when crimping the barb...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:45 pm • # 5 

I haven't actually seen the atlas in person, looks to be the same quality(very good) as the anvil. Not being able to mess with one prior to purchasing was pushing back to the peak that I had and tied on before. I have no particular reason for moving away from Apex at all. Sort of just go with what you know. In all honesty I will probably just keep using the anvil. It works great for tying up to #4 hooks which brings the term chuck and duck a new meaning with UL.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:08 pm • # 6 

I definitely don't use #4 hooks for UL ;) Those would be for my 8wt rod...

Chuck and duck for sure. Good to know you like the Apex a bunch. I'm leaning toward the Atlas so far. It's just slightly less expensive and has full rotary, so it might just check all the boxes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:59 pm • # 7 

They should be of the same quality, as Wolff Ind was the manufacturer for Anvil for both the Atlas and the Apex vises. They bought out Anvil over 3 years ago

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:12 pm • # 8 

I use the traveller. Love it. Just make sure you get the cam lever head, makes a huge difference. I don't use the rotary function 100% of the time, but it does make life a little easier.

I use that bobbin cradle all the time, even when I'm not turning the vise.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:33 pm • # 9 

I have the Peak pedestal version and I tie a large range of sizes with it. Some 1/0, but mostly 2-16. Have done quite a bit 18-20, some 22 but nothing smaller. I've had not any problems but maybe if I tied a ton of flies or got into the super small stuff I'd want for something else. But I wouldn't go back to a non-rotary after having one. Peak is solid and worth the money but nothing fancy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:02 pm • # 10 

The last vise you'll ever need:

http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/vis ... l-vise.htm

But they're like rods so fear not; you'll try others out from time to time. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:39 pm • # 11 

Whatever you do, get the vise that will ultimately satisfy you. Having to buy again, because you underbought, is always the most expensive route.

I went with a Danvise in order to get lots of features for under $100. Fly Fish Ohio sure seems to like it. https://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/danica_danvise.htm

That said, I think the jaws are not properly hardened. Over time, and not that much at that, they got pretty marred and I replaced them for $35. Maybe a $150 rotary vise would have been better. Hard to say but take a look.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:31 pm • # 12 

My suggestion is look for a used Renzetti Traveler, hardened jaws, rotary and great customer service.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:32 pm • # 13 

I have 2 vises - a knock-off Regal and an Anvil Apex vise. Both are excellent. The Apex has much smaller jaws, so I use it for all of my smaller tying, down to #24. The "Regal" is a beast, super-strong jaws, and VERY quick to use with no adjusting. I have tied down to #20 on it. I think I picked up the knock-off regal vise for about 30 bucks on Ebay about 5 years ago.

I like both.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:34 pm • # 14 

Get a Dyna King..end of story
If you held a gun to my head and had to pick one under $200 it would be a Peak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:54 pm • # 15 

I like others above love my Renzetti Traveler. It was my first rotary and makes flies like wooley worms and buggers so much easier and faster to tie than on my Thompson AA that I got when I started tying my own in the late 70s. I still have and use my Thompson for spinning deer hair and poppers and the like. But any fly that has material palmered is better on the rotary.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:22 pm • # 16 
Administrator

renzetti is my choice, but Peak is good. BT makes and affordable rotary too.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 am • # 17 

Just go ahead and get a Regal and be done with it.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply