It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:13 pm • # 1 

im just getting started tying and have just about used up the hooks that came with the kit. so I need to stock up on new hooks. most of my flies will be geared toward panfish and bass (largemouth, white and spotted) but I may tie some for carp, catfish and tilapia. we don't have trout here except when tpwd stocks the local ponds.

I've been using regular hooks from the sporting goods store for some of the flies but I know that's not "proper" and wont catch any fish. :rolling

what types of hooks will be of general use to these flies? i figure most will be size 3 to size 18 depending on the target.

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:50 am • # 2 

You may want to take a look at a few of the hook assortments offered by Orvis or a company called Lightning Strike (sold by a number of fly shops). They offer a mixed package of 180 hooks in various sizes and sometimes styles (usually in the $25-35 range depending on the source). They may not be quite as large as you want for some of your bass flies, but should cover the majority of other ties you might want to do.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:56 am • # 3 

As an alternative, you could also consider putting together an order from somewhere like jsflyfishing.com. They sell a variety of Mustad hook styles in 25 packs for ~$3.50 to $5.00/pack. This would allow you to customize your hook selection further to include some larger bass hooks as well for about the same price/hook.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:34 pm • # 4 

thanks. i will check those out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:16 pm • # 5 

Also consider looking at the auction site, I'll PM you a link to the seller I get most of my hooks from. Excellent quality and good prices.

Edit:
You also asked about a general all purpose fly tying hook, you can do nearly everything you want in warmwater fly tying with the very economical Mustad 3366. I probably have it in every size from 10 to 1/0.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply