It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 52 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Fly Swap February 2021
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:54 pm • # 1 

Folks I couldn't help but notice that we haven't had a fly swap in a while. Never fear, I think this problem is solvable. I am roughly familiar with the mechanics of a fly swap and am willing to attempt to organize one if there are interested parties. The tentative theme is wet flies with plenty of artistic leeway allowed so long as what you're tying is readily fishable on UL gear.

Please reply if interested! I'll leave things open for a few weeks for people to sign up before we begin.

Roster (final):
  1. lka (Empie's Deadly Shiner)
  2. mbarker68x (Beadhead Bird's Nest)
  3. wheezeburnt (Spruce Fly wet variant)
  4. linecaster (Briminator)
  5. strummer (Bluegill Killer; Zonker)
  6. Chris_in_Louisiana (unnamed soft hackle; unnamed bluegill bug)

Last edited by lka on Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:50 pm • # 2 

I’m in. I’ve been on here awhile, just inactive on posting since the photo issues started a while back. I think I ran one of the last fly swaps if not the last.

Nope, wasn’t me on this forum.

Last edited by mbarker68x on Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:42 pm • # 3 

I am in depending on the number of flies to be tied. When you say wet flies I assume anything from Woolly Bugger to Classical trout flies?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:55 pm • # 4 

I interpret wet flies very broadly. Basically anything fished below the surface film that is at least moderately fuzzy or hackled, could plausibly represent an insect, and is shorter than 1.5" long. Flymphs, soft hackles, classic winged wets, and small light streamers all fit the category well

How many flies depends on how many folks sign up but I doubt the number of flies required will exceed a dozen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:21 pm • # 5 

I would like to participate. Since I live in Canada, I don't want to place an undue financial burden on the manager in terms of shipping flies to me, so if you wish to exclude me, I'll understand.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:34 pm • # 6 

wheezeburnt wrote:
I would like to participate. Since I live in Canada, I don't want to place an undue financial burden on the manager in terms of shipping flies to me, so if you wish to exclude me, I'll understand.
brent

In the other swaps I've been in, typically you send a self addressed stamped envelope with your flies for the return trip, so you'd bear the brunt of the cost yourself, typically

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:38 pm • # 7 

wheezeburnt wrote:
brent

Nonsense, you are welcome and the costs are very moderate. I was going to come up with an estimate of return postage and just ask folks to include it with their flies; you could just include a little extra.

On that note, I would like to encourage our other international members to participate as well if they wish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:14 am • # 8 

Ah, perfect then. Thanks. I'm in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:28 am • # 9 

If you guys don't mind some sort of warm water fly, I'll join.

I was thinking about doing a how to package, prepay postage using the automated kiosk at the post office. Would this help?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:32 pm • # 10 

strummer wrote:
If you guys don't mind some sort of warm water fly, I'll join.

I was thinking about doing a how to package, prepay postage using the automated kiosk at the post office. Would this help?

Warmwater flies would be perfect. I don't think the fish draw much of a distinction.

Yes those post office instructions would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:40 pm • # 11 

Twelve size 12. Beadhead Bird’s Nest, tied up and ready to go. Can tie more or add them to my box if we don’t get 12 tiers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:16 am • # 12 

Put me down for bluegill killers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:38 pm • # 13 

mbarker68x wrote:
Twelve size 12. Beadhead Bird’s Nest, tied up and ready to go. Can tie more or add them to my box if we don’t get 12 tiers.

Those looks great! I've always been interested in that fly so this is convenient...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:35 pm • # 14 

Count me in. Not sure what I'll tie, but I've participated in a few swaps elsewhere this fall and have to say it has been an enjoyable experience.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:47 pm • # 15 

Monday will be 3 weeks. Just wondering if I need to tie more or if the dozen will be enough?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:04 am • # 16 

Ika: Been around it a couple of times, and I cannot purchase American postage here in Canada so, if its alright with you, I'll send you US dollars along with my flies, if you could tell me what would be an appropriate amount. Please err on the side of expensive, because I know these things always end up costing more than we imagine.
Tying a wet fly version of the Spruce Fly using calftail for wing instead of badger. I've caught 15 species on this fly, including trout (cutthroat, brown, brook, rainbow), arctic grayling, large and smallmouth bass, brim(warmouth, bluegill, punkinseed, and redbreast), chain pickerel, yellow perch.....
brent
brent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:30 pm • # 17 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Ika: Been around it a couple of times, and I cannot purchase American postage here in Canada so, if its alright with you, I'll send you US dollars along with my flies, if you could tell me what would be an appropriate amount. Please err on the side of expensive, because I know these things always end up costing more than we imagine.
Tying a wet fly version of the Spruce Fly using calftail for wing instead of badger. I've caught 15 species on this fly, including trout (cutthroat, brown, brook, rainbow), arctic grayling, large and smallmouth bass, brim(warmouth, bluegill, punkinseed, and redbreast), chain pickerel, yellow perch.....
brent
brent

No problem at all, I'll figure it out. And I'm excited about that fly -- I've heard you mention it before on the forum and I'd like to see one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:41 pm • # 18 

mbarker68x wrote:
Monday will be 3 weeks. Just wondering if I need to tie more or if the dozen will be enough?

I was going to close the list on 3/1 then PM my mailing address and logistics details to participants. As of now we have six (see list on first post which I have updated). If anybody else wants to join please do before then. I will tie an Olive Willy -- a popular local variant of an older wet fly called a Carey Special. Used mostly for trout but it catches everything and held the C&R smallmouth record in Utah for a while. I was planning on tying 2 flies per person just because it isn't that many and I like to tie but that is not required.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:27 pm • # 19 

wheezeburnt wrote:
brent
brent

Brent , I think 50 USD will cover it so just send it to me and Ill get it to where it needs to go . ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:21 pm • # 20 

jangles wrote:
[
Brent , I think 50 USD will cover it so just send it to me and Ill get it to where it needs to go . ;)

Wow. thats about $300 canadian! OK, if you say so.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 52 posts ] New Topic Add Reply