It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: snow day fly tying
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:53 pm • # 1 

it started icy raining in houston sunday night which turned into "snow" thru the night. so for monday snow day i tied these.

the flashy ones are made from mylar chip bags. im hoping the white bass and crappie find them appealing. there's a few attempts to try some of Chris in Louisiana patterns from his blog.

Post subject: Re: snow day fly tying
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:38 pm • # 2 

Theyll catch something somewhere . Good job

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:59 pm • # 3 

Nice looking ties! The Chip Bag streamers are pretty creative. I'm curious to hear how the fish like them.

Cold, crappy weather is great for working on our tying skills. I spent yesterday working on improving my EP Minnow patterns (though I'm cheap and use Congo Hair and/or Water Silk from Fly Tyers Dungeon instead of actual EP Fibers). They're still not as consistent as I'd like, but most turned out fishable.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:58 pm • # 4 

I'm not too far from Wildcat. Thankfully we've had power all day today - rolling blackouts yesterday made it hard to get much tying done.

I tied up a dozen and a half Kreelex flies in a few colors / color combinations. Size 8, with bead chain for the eyes.

I"ve been tying a bunch of much heavier stuff lately as well, I picked up the tool necessary to bend my own Fish Spine style shanks, so I've been tying a bunch of Feather Game Changer type flies and other articulate patterns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:23 am • # 5 

Those look like they'll fish. Probably different material but they look a lot like a fly I've had luck with over the past few years, Dick Empie's Golden Shiner.
(Not my tie, photo credit http://smallmouthflybox.blogspot.com/20 ... hiner.html)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:53 am • # 6 

mmckenzie wrote:
I tied up a dozen and a half Kreelex flies in a few colors / color combinations. Size 8, with bead chain for the eyes. .

Very nice looking flies! I was introduced to Kreelex flies two springs ago in Virginia by a guide at Mossy Creek outfitters. Caught some very nice rainbows on them there. Never heard of them before; I tied up a few when I got home to New Brunswick, and later that spring, while fishing them for searun brook trout on the Miramichi, had an atlantic salmon take one. Was not expecting that.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 am • # 7 

Here are a few of mine from the past few days. EP Baitfish in a few different color combos, EP Shrimp and a pair of purple Seaducers.

The latter are from a Zoom tying session I did with the Kisatchie Fly Fishers yesterday evening. For those who haven't tried Zoom tying session over the course of the pandemic, I highly recommend them It is a great way to socialize with fellow tyers at a safe distance and also learn some new patterns. In the case of the Kisatchie group, they actually mail the required materials to members who request them in advance.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:18 am • # 8 

good lookin flies yall. ep baitfish flies are on my "to learn" list. i dont have any ep, yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:59 am • # 9 

Wildcat wrote:
good lookin flies yall. ep baitfish flies are on my "to learn" list. i dont have any ep, yet.

Mine are still a work in progress and more than a few I tied the last few days were left out of the picture for good reason (Ugly!).

As for EP, take a look at Fly Tyer's Dungeon's Congo Hair or Water Silk. They're $1.95/pack as opposed to $6-8/pack for EP. You may eventually want to swap to EP, but I prefer the cheaper alternative while I'm still learning.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:33 pm • # 10 

Chris, I've done a side by side comparison and there isn't any difference. If you wanna pm me your address I can send you a sample.

The EP brushes have simplified all that stuff. Id recommend that over anything!

Flies look good, Wildcat! The fish in mexico will see that mylar!

And the other ties are awesome as well!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:28 pm • # 11 

Thanks Strummer. I have a few packs of EP Fiber as well. They're all extremely close, but I feel the Congo Hair is a bit coarser material than the EP. Can't say it's enough of a difference to make me lean one way or the other though.

As for the dubbing brushes, I'm a big fan. They're just not the cheapest option out there. The shrimp patterns included in my photo have EP Shrimp Dub brush bodies. I really like it, and have had great success with the pattern. That said, I've begun using dubbing loops of Ice Dub/Craft Fur instead. Similar outcome and a great way to utilize scraps from around my bench.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:57 pm • # 12 

I tie . I have a vice and most all the other tools needed for very beautiful fly's but my level of tying is in the I SUCK category so no pics from me but you guys do a fantastic job .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 am • # 13 

Ummmm Ron, I have plenty of vices (but I'm not going to tell you what they are) but I don't tie flies because I don't have a vise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:20 am • # 14 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Ummmm Ron, I have plenty of vices (but I'm not going to tell you what they are) but I don't tie flies because I don't have a vise.

:lol :lol :lol :lol (Cliff, you're such a dick).
brent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:24 pm • # 15 

;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:47 pm • # 16 

[quote="Cliff Hilbert"]Ummmm Ron, I have plenty of vices (but I'm not going to tell you what they are) but I don't tie flies because I don't have a vise.[/quot

I'll send you a vice if you tie me a twat fly you dick ! lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:09 am • # 17 

I don't need any more vices and I certainly don't ever want a vise because then I would start tying flies and become crazy like you fly-tying nuts. :eek

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply