It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Hook color
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:10 pm • # 1 

Do you think it plays a role? There are shiny silver hooks, copper colored hooks and more black/brown colored hooks.

Which do you prefer? Would a darker color hook be more subtle than a shiny hook? Or would a shiny hook even attract fish? What is your go to hook color or do you even care?

Post subject: Re: Hook color
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:35 am • # 2 

I usually use regular bronze hooks, not a big fanatic about it for lures and flies. Bait fishing with circle hooks? I think sometimes a shiny red circ does attract the Redhorse, especially in the spring. Red is a prominent spawning color and this may have some influence to draw their attention to the offering.

Bears noting that I have pretty darn good success on red chamois trailers for the suckers and many other species so the red hook thing might have something going for it, at least on occasion. Honestly, I do better on red sometimes when I think it should be a more natural olive or brown. At some depth, red fades fast to grayish underwater, but I’m usually fishing at depths far too shallow to have that effect altering the appearance.

Red hooks may be something to tie on in the future experiments, perhaps simply because they stand-out well amongst the typically drab underwater color scheme. Gold Aberdeens have their afficianados, too, it's like flashabou and a hook all in one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:15 pm • # 3 

A lot of old timers around here use bare red octopus hook(s) trolling for sockeye salmon. And bare gold hooks are surprisingly popular when swinging for american shad.

As far as tying flies, personally I don't care about hook color. It never seemed to make any difference.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:27 am • # 4 

Dominikk85 wrote:
Do you think it plays a role? There are shiny silver hooks, copper colored hooks and more black/brown colored hooks.

Which do you prefer? Would a darker color hook be more subtle than a shiny hook? Or would a shiny hook even attract fish? What is your go to hook color or do you even care?

Some great info here, and things I've never thought of.

From my experience, the only time I really consider hook color is when fishing carp. I've found that I really like the Black gamakatsu SL45 bonefish hooks for carp. This is partially due to the strength of the relatively small hooks, but also due to the fact the matte black finish doesn't flash in anyway that could be perceived as unnatural by the carp.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm • # 5 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
This is partially due to the strength of the relatively small hooks, but also due to the fact the matte black finish doesn't flash in anyway that could be perceived as unnatural by the carp.

Chris

Same applies to suckers in a lot of waters. Give me an overcast day, (very) light breezes, and an intermittent drizzle and I’ll thank the weather for a huge advantage in pursuing these fish.

Everyone gushes over shiny & flashy and while it has it’s place, drab and more natural looking materials are hard to find but can be highly effective. Chamois has the “soft look” qualities, some types of natural dubbings do (especially the underfurs), wool does…kinda.

The hook shine is tough to get around, though. Sometimes I dub or wing long and shaggy to obscure or shadow it a bit. Doesn’t seem many anglers notice it, but on a sunny day it can be glaring on touched-up or resharpened hooks. The difference in dark red hooks once the finish wears off a bit is like night and day in some brands. Bare metal bling-bling does seem off-putting to the softer lipped quarry at times.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply