It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Fly Vise Base
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:33 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Here's a base that I made to hold my pedestal vise to keep it from moving while I'm tying. The sides are 3/4" MDF and I cut groove to receive the bottom, middle (where the vise sits), and top pieces. The bottom and middle are 1/2" plywood, and the top is 1/8" masonite.

I assembled all but the front side, tilted it on its back and filled it with sand, and then put the front on and sealed it up. The joints are simple miters and are glued and held in place by brads.

Set the vise on it and then slide the masonite piece over the top of the vise pedestal. This fit must be snug. It's easy to remove it you want to take the vise somewhere without the new base. Total weight is now about 9 lbs and it added more to the footprint too, so it doesn't move unless you really want it to.

It also raised the vise a couple inches which helps my back.

Last edited by jdub on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:14 pm • # 2 

That is a great base!!! I will buy one!!! I can't make anything square to save my life... I don't even have crooked eyes. That is fine work!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:59 pm • # 3 

great job; cool idea-p-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:00 pm • # 4 

Very nice Jerry! Now, if only I can find a way to make a base for my clamp vise.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:08 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words but I think it's you guys who can tie nice flies that really have the skill. I have tools to cut straight lines for me, but my tying is truly pathetic. I can do woolly buggers, and nymphs that catch fish but they look atrocious. If I'm fishing with someone I don't know well then I'll use store-bought flies. Image

I think half the motivation for this base was frustration with my sorry flies--"well if I can't make anything *with* the vise, maybe I can make something *for* the vise" ;-) (that, and it really did move around a lot)

I am really amazed at how good some of flies posted here look--very cool stuff! I need to take a class sometime.

Last edited by jdub on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:59 pm • # 6 

Jerry, the ugly flies catch more fish. I have a really pretty GRHE that has never been in a fish's mouth, and I have one that is ratty looking and it catches bluegill left and right. I tie ugly...they catch fish.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:13 pm • # 7 

Quote:
jdub wrote: I can do woolly buggers, and nymphs that catch fish but they look atrocious.
Jdub, the correct word to insert at the end of that sentence is BUGGY, not atrocious. Flies, whether they catch the tyer or not, that catch fish are buggyImage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:25 pm • # 8 

I've never seen a guy tie a bad fly but I sure have seen some buggy flies in my time. To be honest though I haven't seen your flies I'll bet they aren't as bad as you think. I have learned that I am my biggest critic, you most likely are your biggest critic as well, heck post some pics and ask for honest (but constructive) critique and we'll help you as much as we can. That's how I got started in tying classic wets. I'd pick a pattern then tie it and post a pic... get some pointers... tie it again then post another pic... trust me I tied some buggy classic wet flies and classic wets shouldn't look buggy! That base rocks by the way.

Steve

Last edited by SteveP on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:26 pm • # 9 

J....

That base is awesome. You should see the set up I use to tie.

And you should also see my flies.....but you know what? I get a kick and satisfaction from tying...and they consistently catch fish so who cares that they don't compare to the ones in the magazines.

Here is the most productive fly I tie......I get great success using a #10 scud type hook....yellow dubbed body with a black saddle hackle palmered over it with a tungsten bead to get it down to the fish. This fly is "fugly" but I have caught large and small mouth bass, catfish, various kinds of sunfish (bream), even rainbows have fell prey to this bug. Is the body perfectly shaped? NO. Are the wraps evenly spaced? NO. Could I do a better job if I practiced more...probably but then I couldn't spend as much time here as I'd like!

Here is another hugely successful tie.....#12 scud hook, mixed color dubbed body olive marabou for a tail and an olive hackle palmered. Again, most guys might laugh at my sophomoric skills, but I really couldn't care less. It catches fish and I have fun tying it. I've only been tying for a year or so....I'll get better!

David

Last edited by armyflyfisher on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:00 pm • # 10 

David,
Looks like you & I tie the same way, not "magazine pretty", just "fish pretty".....Let 'em laugh!!...Mine catch fish too!!!
Mikey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:06 pm • # 11 
Administrator

I understand what you guys are saying about "buggy" flies, and yet some of you guys tie flies that catch fish *and* look great!

Steve I appreciate your advice about posting pics, and once I get a little better at it I might do some of that. For now I think I just need to review some basics and maybe take a class or at least find someone who ties who can show me a few things. I tried to watch a guy at Bass Pro Shop the other night who was putting on a little exhibition. He has some really cool looking flies, but there was a lot of conversation with other guys and not much tying and I didn't have time to hang around.

David, your flies look *way* better than mine, and I know what you mean about how you'd rather be fishing than tying. It makes it even harder to be patient about learning to tie when I can get flies on sale for 99 cents each and then fish the same fly for two or three outings before it falls apart.

My biggest motivation at the moment is seeing some of the flies that have been posted here that are *not* available for 99 cents from Cabela's or BPS. Like the Briminator and mini-buggers, and that cool thing Les was catching Pickerel on. This is really unique because I've seen a lot of flies that guys have tied for bream/bass but they're usually fishing at least a 4 wt and probably heavier. You guys are all tying bugs that can be cast on 2wt's or smaller--these are flies I WANT to try so I *have* to learn how to tie them. This is what got me to break out the vise again.

Thanks for your replies!

Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:51 pm • # 12 
Global Moderator

Jerry, the best place to get a good lesson is a local shop. Go when they are having a shop day and they will usually have a demo tyer. People at local shops are also a little more courteous, and tend to remain quite with little chatter going on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:48 am • # 13 
Administrator

Jerry, that base looks great. As for buggy flies, they catch fish. I used to tie flies for the local fly shop and they had to be pretty or they wouldn't sell. My personal flies are not all that great looking either, I just don't put all that much effort into it anymore.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 am • # 14 

Buggy is a relative term, but for mine, a more appropriate term is, ugly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:51 pm • # 15 

Just as proof, I tie UGLY, & the "2 handed" gill you see when you bring this site up was caught by me on one of my flies. They need not be perfect to be effective.
Mikey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:10 pm • # 16 
Administrator

ohiotuber wrote:
They need not be perfect to be effective.
Thanks for the reply Mikey. I know the ugly ones catch fish too. I was messing around over the weekend and tied a deformed woolly bugger with a beadhead and a short wrapping of red thread right behind the bead. When I got done it looked pretty sad. I went out Monday and gave it a shot--it worked.

So Monday night and I went home and tied another one--much smaller (#12) and used a red marabou tail instead of black, and Tuesday I caught a bunch of shiners and bream on it.

Both flies were pretty ratty looking Image

But... I was up in Colorado in October and fished the catch & release section of the South Platte in Eleven Mile Canyon during the BWO hatch. If you did not have the correct fly and it didn't look just right you didn't catch fish. Thanks heavens I fish for bass & bream about 90% of the time and they're not so stinking picky.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:33 pm • # 17 

jdub wrote:
ohiotuber wrote:
They need not be perfect to be effective.
Thanks for the reply Mikey. I know the ugly ones catch fish too. I was messing around over the weekend and tied a deformed woolly bugger with a beadhead and a short wrapping of red thread right behind the bead. When I got done it looked pretty sad. I went out Monday and gave it a shot--it worked.

So Monday night and I went home and tied another one--much smaller (#12) and used a red marabou tail instead of black, and Tuesday I caught a bunch of shiners and bream on it.

Both flies were pretty ratty looking Image

But... I was up in Colorado in October and fished the catch & release section of the South Platte in Eleven Mile Canyon during the BWO hatch. If you did not have the correct fly and it didn't look just right you didn't catch fish. Thanks heavens I fish for bass & bream about 90% of the time and they're not so stinking picky.

RED!!...YES!!.....I swear that red is MAGIC!! I will have to get some red butt epoxy ants tied & post pics. They are deadly for gills.
Mikey

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply