It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:06 pm • # 1 

I have been tying a wooly-bugger type fly with a propeller in the front of the hook and in front of a gold bead to give it some flash.

I have just been slapping them on and finishing the fly.  Then, today, I was looking at the propeller up close, and it looks like it might have a front side and a rear side, but I can’t tell which.

Does it matter how you tie the propeller on?  Can you tie them on backwards so that you don’t get the desired action, or does it matter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:22 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I've tied the "pistol pete" and it never mattered to me how the prop went on- it does work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:08 am • # 3 

I believe they will spin opposite if backwards, but it makes no difference which way they spin, except on a wolly worm that has hackle palmered on in just one direction; if the blade rotates like the palmered hackle you'll get a lot of line twist with a lite leader. When I build the little pistol pete's I start the hackle at the front, palmer to the rear, and then back to the front. This prevents any fly rotation, or at least, eliminates some of it. You can hold the prop on a needle and blow on it to see the difference in the rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:47 pm • # 4 

Because they are symmetrical it doesn't matter which way you put them on, they will always spin in the same direction, if you want them to spin the other direction you must twist the blades in the opposite direction, as I have done to get the wiggle I want on an articulated fly. There are few of us who defy convention when it comes to using a particular type of fly, but at times if your having difficulty matching the hatch a Pistol Pete or other selected Spinner fly will turn things around for you, and turn a bad day into a very productive one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:19 pm • # 5 

Are spinners and propellers legal for fly fishing in FFO water where you live?

They're not in any FFO water that I fish in NH or Maine.

Here's the definition they use:

FLY (ARTIFICIAL FLY): A single-pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair, thread,
tinsel, or any similar material to which no additional hook, spinner, spoon or similar
device is added.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:36 am • # 6 

plecain wrote:
Are spinners and propellers legal for fly fishing in FFO water where you live?

They're not in any FFO water that I fish in NH or Maine.

Here's the definition they use:

FLY (ARTIFICIAL FLY): A single-pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair, thread,
tinsel, or any similar material to which no additional hook, spinner, spoon or similar
device is added.

It's not an issue in most BASS waters (Maine) -- which you can fish with the fly (and carry a couple of spinner/flies for just-in-case.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:39 pm • # 7 

pearow wrote:
I believe they will spin opposite if backwards, but it makes no difference which way they spin, except on a wolly worm that has hackle palmered on in just one direction; if the blade rotates like the palmered hackle you'll get a lot of line twist with a lite leader. When I build the little pistol pete's I start the hackle at the front, palmer to the rear, and then back to the front. This prevents any fly rotation, or at least, eliminates some of it. You can hold the prop on a needle and blow on it to see the difference in the rotation

That's make a lot of sense. I've been watching Norm Norlander on YouTube and he discusses the same points you just made.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply