It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:06 pm • # 1 

The Hairwing Royal Coachman and the similar Royal Wulff resemble no known insect, yet
trout will rise eagerly to them. Since a hatch of Royal Coachmen has never occurred, size, color,
and outline are moot as standards. Proper presentation is, of course, still important. However,
I believe that what drives the trout to take the fly is the marking that indicates a natural
insect—the wings have a very strong Ultraviolet Reflective (UVR) signature.
Below is the Hairwing Royal Coachman first in visible light, then in UV. The wings are the only element that is highly UV reflective.

The Hairwing Royal Coachman, also known as the Quack Coachman, was developed by Quackenbush and Cross as a sturdier alternative to the popular Fanwing Royal Coachman. Not surprisingly, the Fanwing has the same strong UVR in the wings.

Note: If you find that your Hairwing Royal Coachman isn't drawing strikes, but your friend's HRC is, check to see if the wings of his fly are as white as yours. If your fly's wings appear brighter in visible light it is probably because the hair has been treated with a whitener. Some whiteners absorb UV and fluoresce pale blue, which makes them appear white. However, because they are absorbing UV, they appear dark in the ultraviolet. That might make all the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:45 pm • # 2 

Trout eating a Royal Coachman just proves that trout are not very smart. They are just reacting to something that looks like an easy meal. When I am bobber fishing I will get quite a few rises to the indicator and the fish will ignore the midge or the nymph. The fish say wow look at that nice big juicy blob of power bait time to eat.

Lanny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:54 pm • # 3 

Reed:
It would be very interesting to see similar pictures of real insects (mayflies) under the two light conditions, to see if their wings provide a similar UVR signature. Might go a long way toward supporting your thesis.
brent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:47 pm • # 4 

Brent,

My wife Jayne and I spent time taking what I understand are the first ultraviolet reflectance photos of mayflies. But it took an entire book with about 150 photos to support the thesis regarding trout and their UV vision. So, I did my homework, else I would not have made that statement. :) Is it possible you haven't read the book?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:51 pm • # 5 
Administrator

I haven't read Reed's book yet, but I really need to buy it.

Reed, I remember you talking on another forum about juvenile green sunfish seeing the UV spectrum, is there any more info since then about any adult sunfish species seeing UV?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:51 pm • # 6 

There have been a number of studies of the vision of bluegills, green sunfish, and pumpkinseed. I haven't looked into it in depth. I can say that recently more species within certain families are being acknowledged with use of UV vision. Of one family of fishes, the Cyprinidae, (carp, roach, etc.) tetrachromacy (R, G, B, U) is becoming the default assumption. However, even if the species lacks UV-specific cones, unless the lens of the eye contains yellow pigments (as most humans) to block UV, the UV is going to be recorded on the existing cones or rods (in some species the rods are more sensitive to UV than to visible light).

IMO, a good test would be to take UV photos of male sunfish in different age classes and look for honesty markings. If they have markings only visible in the UV, it seems reasonable to conclude that those fish can see in the UV.

You could do the research into the sunfish and UV vision. It is fascinating work.

P.S. - Check out http://web2.uwindsor.ca/courses/biology/corkum/PDFs/Cogliati,Corkum%20-%202010.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:21 pm • # 7 

Different critters have different vision capabilities, take the mantis shrimp as an example:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:05 pm • # 8 

overmywaders wrote:
Is it possible you haven't read the book?

Possible? no, its an absolute certainty! ;)
What is it called, and where can I find it? thanks. This is very interesting stuff!
Brent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:38 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Reed, thanks for that link, I saved a copy so I can go over it in depth.

I'm not much into photography, the only camera I have is the one on my iPhone.

On another note, I've played with fluorescent, and "UV" dubbings for bluegill flies, and in my creek, they simply haven't been all that effective over anything else, and black works best. Now bluegills certainly are known to eat bright gaudy flies all over the place, but for whatever reason it hasn't worked for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:42 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Brent, follow the link in Reed's signature. The book is on the home page of his site.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:39 pm • # 11 

Beautiful flies. The RC is one of the prettiest flies ever tied and one can still find the fly in many variations in fly shops everywhere. However, for me, I believe I can count on one hand all the trout I have ever caught on one. I have my best luck with bland looking flies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:16 am • # 12 

The book is available on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/New-Scientific-Angling-Ultraviolet-Vision/dp/0984086307/

What you can see under a blacklight is fluorescence, some UV photons being "shifted" to photons of visible light. You can't see ultraviolet wavelengths (exceptions: small children can, as can those who have the lens of their eyes removed in cataract surgery). All families of birds can see in the UV, some bats use UV, most insects, trout, some lizards, whitetail deer, etc.

Factoid: UV has been found to penetrate clear water to a depth of 600 meters. This why divers wear fluorescent patches on their wetsuits, after all color is gone, the UV will still cause the material to fluoresce brightly.

In the book I take the 24 most popular dry flies of 1980 and show them in visible and UV. If UV is valuable, those flies should have UV highlights where appropriate and none where not. I also show many fly tying materials in the UV.

Actually, most of my time is spent in looking at what I cannot see. :) For example - https://www.uvrdefensetech.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:04 am • # 13 

Thanks, Reed and Jkurtz. I'll have a look.
brent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:09 pm • # 14 

I think we may be onto something with this UV stuff and science to fishing thing. I just hit my most productive flies with UV - Elk Hair Caddis in olive and light wing, Bead Head Pheasant Tail Nymph, Olive and / or black bugger, and sulfur dunn. Not a single one of them glow under UV. Maybe the fish can see in UV, but I wouldn't give up my traditional producing flies and start tying in 1980's fluorescent colors. Thought provoking as it is, I'm sure it will sell some books.

I will hold with Gila on this one - that trout (and other fish) are not incredibly smart, and will react on impulse to environmental and physiological conditions to presentations of food - that which looks or moves similar to food will get eaten, when hungry, and if it isn't food, they will spit it out (when they realize that hey, this fly doesn't taste like a stonefly - it's metallic! SPIT! - hookset - miss! DANG! - all in about 1/5 of a second).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:10 pm • # 15 

Yes these fish with "a brain the size of a pea", that "aren't sufficiently evolved to burp", sometimes drive us crazy.

I said nothing about using 1980's "fluorescent colors". The most successful dry flies chosen by Dave Whitlock in 1980 included none with obviously fluorescent colors. The flies Dave chose were already, for the most part, known to be effective at catching trout through twenty or more years of use. The question I posed was "Do these flies conform to the natural insects in their ultraviolet markings?" The answer I found was "Yes".

It only makes sense that mayflies, which often perform their mating rituals on dark nights, would have distinctive species and gender markings in the UV. Since a male mayfly has only one chance for love, he doesn't want to waste it on the wrong species or gender (do any of us?). Thus, if a trout has been sipping mayflies with distinctive UV markings, and you present him with an artificial lacking those markings; your chances of a 'take' drop dramatically. If you believe otherwise, you might as well fish the same fly every day on the river; some days you will catch fish, other days you won't. If, however, you believe in making an attempt at matching the hatch; then you cannot afford to ignore any of the gross characteristics of the natural insect...such as UV markings.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:48 pm • # 16 

You've obviously misinterpreted my attempt at humor about the 80's fluoro colors. Those 80's were a bad time for clothes and colors on us humans. ;) I wouldn't discount your ability to research a fish's ability to see different than humans - most people have known that for years, just like deer and other non-homo-sapiens. That's why so many hunters spend big bucks to mask their clothing of UV light absorbtion. That doesn't mean that guys can't - and don't - bag a buck or two ever year wearing everyday plaid shirts with a big goofy safety orange hat. Trust me on that one, too - my whole family loves venison. Just like the slippery slope analogy of saying if you dispense with acknowledging that observing UV markings on insects will diminish a fisherman's ability to catch fish is simply assuming that the UV signature is the absolute key indicator for a trout eating. It may be one, and it may be important in some situations, but from my experience fishing, I haven't found that to be so true. Size, vibration (though not as important as with, say, fishing LM bass), color, movement (action), placement, depth, water conditions, etc etc... all play a part in what attracts fish, so different presentations are necessary, as I'm sure you already know. As far as the Royal Coachman catching fish, from a view under water, it appears to have a head, abdomen, and thorax, is drifting down the stream at the right speed, right depth (topwater/film), with the correct profile (buggy) and the desirable size above a feeding fish, it is going to be snatched upon. UV being a possible trigger for the fish? Very possible, one of them. Key, not likely. Otherwise, the white bugger (which fluoresces brightly) would outproduce the olive in almost every water condition.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:06 pm • # 17 

I never suggested that the appropriate UVR of a fly is "the absolute key indicator for a trout eating." I will say that if a fish is wary and we hope to meet his expectations in terms of dinner, we should serve him what he expects. But, more to the point, do you know what your flies look like in the UV? If not, how do you know that appropriate UV markings don't play a role in keeping the trout's interest? If you haven't an understanding of your flies in the UV, then you can't honestly say:
Quote:
It may be one [key indicator], and it may be important in some situations, but from my experience fishing, I haven't found that to be so true.

Why did so many of the best patterns of the Catskill region require "natural blue dun", not dyed blue dun? Why do so many of the 'dependable' wet flies - e.g., the coachman, the prince nymph, the zug bug - follow a theme of almost zero UV reflection from the body, but high UVR from the wing? Why did the Catskill patterns have so many duck - wood duck, teal, gadwall, etc. - flank feather wings that are also high in UVR?

I haven't suggested that I have the answers, only that I am willing to ask the questions.

As for the white bugger fluorescing, that says nothing about its UVR. OTOH, the olive bugger may have the appropriate visible color and UVR for whatever a bugger represents.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:36 pm • # 18 

I think that, with almost any endeavor of man, we all have our individual levels of interest. Plenty of us just tie up flies that we enjoy tying, or ones that have worked for us in the past, or just appeal visually to OUR eye.
Very few of us are interested in the esoteric aspects of rod taper, or leader design, or exact line weight ratings, or UV profiles of insects and various flies. But thank goodness there are folks who DO find these things interesting and more importantly, have the patience and aptitude to study and understand them. These sorts of intellectual endeavors further the sport/pastime and increase our understanding of what works and why.
I'm not sure we can ever fully understand why a fish takes a certain fly at a certain time and not another. But if the goal of fly tying is to create a fly that, to a fish (rather than to the tier), resembles its prey species, then understanding how a fish sees a fly is a darn good start.
Brent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:37 am • # 19 

Brent,

Well said.
I am as happy with a bobber and bait on a bluegill pond as with a dry fly on pocket water; both have their appeal. OTOH, the "inventor" in me is always seeking to understand the How, and I can't let go of that even when I am fishing. Different strokes for different folks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:05 pm • # 20 

IMHO those flies work because of their size and profile.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply