It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: New guy from AL
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:22 pm • # 21 

Looks like you're getting the hang of catching bass and panfish on the fly. Personally, I for subsurface I like to fish any slow sinking fly with legs such as a Bully's Bluegill Spider or Chris Helm's Panfish Nymph. I cast the fly out and let it sink. Many times the bluegill and crappie will take it on the drop. If not I retrieve the fly by using a short strip and then letting sink again. Almost all of my takes are on the drop.
I have an old Cabelas 7'6" LST 2 wt that I fish with a SA GPX 2 wt line. It makes for a nice combo and it casts weighted flies quite well. Nice pictures by the way.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:57 pm • # 22 

One of the top producers catch wise on this forum is Cliff Hilbert. He does not have a pretty cast and seldom going over 40 feet but man does he catch fish.
Regarding your casting problems, first forget about trying to do a double haul yet and secondly if you are getting wind knots it means you are overpowering the forward cast.Slow down and feel the line on the forward and back cast. On the forward cast merely let the line go, it will shoot on its own. For roll casting at least half of the line you have out must be on the water so as to give sufficient friction to cause your rod to flex on the forward cast. Good luck and keep catching you're doing ok.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:30 pm • # 23 

Blake, if you make a video of yourself roll casting your get plenty of comments. Knotty did that when he was seeking advice on active roll cast.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:16 pm • # 24 

Thanks fellas! Just got back from the pond like 10 minutes ago haha was primarily working on roll casting with a popper. I'll take your advice and post up a video if I can talk my wife into wading through the weeds to video for me lol, ended up taking about 3 bass this size and several small blue gill. Again I hate that all you ol boys are in Texas and not AL. Anyway thanks for the advice guys!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:57 pm • # 25 

I have a question, because when you mentioned gators, and I saw that canoe, won't a gator tip that thing over if it wanted to, or do they leave you alone if in a boat? I live in Colorado, and we have no gators, so I am ignorant with those critters.

To help you understand about the different actions of a rod, a slow full flexing rod is just that. You will feel it bend all the way to the handle. A medium action flexes mid way down the rod, and a fast rod is also called a tip flex, because the upper section of the rod flexes. I will PM you on more details.

As for roll casts, the proper rod with the proper line will roll effortlessly. For example; a soft rod like the Orvis Superfine Carbon, or a fiberglass or bamboo rod with Cortland 444 Classic Peach roll casts pretty nice. But if you take a Sage One and line it with the 444 Peach, no, not so good. Some WF lines will roll better on faster rods, and the taper designs of the line play a significant part as well. But to perform a good roll cast is very difficult on grass if practicing, so practice on the water because the water tension will help load the rod. But proper form and the snap of the wrist going forward is very important, and aim the rod tip high when you come to a complete stop on the forward motion. Keep the rod tip while casting in a straight plain.

As for the double haul, timing is the key. Orvis has some great videos on these matters.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-les ... ly-casting

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:30 am • # 26 

Well to be honest, I havn't lived here in Montgomery, but for about a year. But from the people I've talked to they don't normally even bother humans, but I still wouldn't want to be wading waters with them in there. But a work buddy of mine kayak fishes, and he said if you keep your distance away from them and their nests they will not bother you, and he's been fishing this area for over 30 years, but of course he's a spin fisher :(

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:20 pm • # 27 

I hear in Louisiana they're more afraid of the cotton mouths than the gators. You have to be careful going under low hanging branches.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:25 pm • # 28 

The past couple days have been slow have fished about an hour each day both morning and dusk, did break off what I assume was a pretty decent size bass. On the bright side I was browsing the forums earlier today, and found a post about self-made twist monofilament leaders, ended up making one and it worked great! Don't think I'll be wasting money on tapered anymore.

Ended up catching my first redear out of the pond. Also caught a couple of nice bluegill, but no bass today.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:42 pm • # 29 

Those hand twisted leaders work like a charm.
I use 8 lb tippet, Always.
That way when Mr. Bass comes along he has a good chance of paying me a visit.
The Blue Gill don't mind the heavy tippet either.
If you are going for trout a lighter tippet is in order.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:54 pm • # 30 

Hey linecaster when you say 8lb tippet do you mean monofilament? Or actually tippet material like 3x? Just curious, also do you use different leaders for streamers and topwater? I think I read fluorocarbon works much better for sinking flies, and mono for topwater is that correct?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:53 pm • # 31 

I mix and match both mono and tippet material whatever is handy.
Cliff Hilbert uses strait mono for his leader/tippet. Sinks faster. Mono for floating and floor for sink if you wish depending on circumstances.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:01 pm • # 32 

Well it's been a long time since I logged on, life ended up getting in the way over the past couple years and we ended up building a house, and moving to Wetumpka. I never did end up getting a canoe or a different fly rod, luckily however the community pond has one I get to use. The pond is ~8 acres, weather was weird raining on and off so nothing to write home about and it was a really mixed back. By the way I really still suck at fly fishing. I know the last time I asked if someone here was from Alabama and wanted to take a rookie under their wing for a trip the offer still stands. Anyway, here are a few pictures I ended up catching a few more bass than this, but overall not a bad way to spend time. Also really thinking about getting the Redington 2 WT CT and pairing it with a zero reel. Anyone here got one, and if so how do you like it?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:36 pm • # 33 

Nice to hear you're picking-up the rod again, looks like you haven't lost your touch. :applause

Sometimes life does get in the way of fishing, yet we always seem to find our way back to it in time. The house thing can be greedy with time and obligations for awhile until things settle into a manageable routine with possibilities of other activities. Then you have even more room to fill with fishing stuff!

Heck, I even dedicated a separate room for fishing tackle, lure making, and flytying. A beautiful thing, really, the plan eliminates the need to clean-up after every session (just close door).

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:21 pm • # 34 

Good to hear from you again, like your pictures. I am sure someone here has the Redington 2wt. I fish the CGR 2wt and like it, pretty good deal I think at $70. My reel of choice is another bargain: a large arbor graphite 3/4 for $20 from FlyShack; it fits the CGR 2wt very well.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply