It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Undergunned.
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:22 am • # 1 

Its been a very odd spring here in the East. We've had record-breaking flooding on the Saint John river and cold temps, but in spite of it all, I've had some good fishing. Managed a 12 lb Atlantic salmon (Miramichi River, 9wt rod) and my son and I had a day of striped bass fishing on the Miramichi with a guide, that led to over 50 fish being boated, between 20 and 30"; we were using heavy spinning gear, 50 lb test line and huge leadheaded rubber. Not my favourite kind of fishing, but we kept our permitted 3 fish each and man, are they delicious. And its always exciting to see so many fish on the fishfinder that they appear as a 10' deep cloud. (this year's spawning run was estimated at between 1 and 2 million fish, back from a frightening low of a few thousand a couple of decades ago)
When my home stream finally dropped to fishable levels, I was delighted to get back to the 3wt. Been down fishing a few times and, while I missed the trout run, its been great fun casting little flies to little fish. The fallfish spawn is on, and the stream is full of 10 to 14" fish, happy to take a #14 adams parachute. Normally, the smallmouth are arriving abut this time as well, but the gaspereau are running a bit late, and they're thrashing around in the riffles in schools which seems to put the bass off flies. (I suspect the larger bass are actually feeding on the gaspereau).
Yesterday I was standing in the shallows bringing a 12" fallfish to hand to release him and just as I was reaching down, a large (LARGE!!!!) smally came out of the deep water and attempted to make off with the fallfish. I think he must have spotted me or realized he couldn't actually swallow a 12" fish, and he bolted for the depths. I've landed 19" bass in this same pool, and I know this fish was a few inches longer than that.
So, rather than admit defeat, I did what anyone would do: I thrashed around my fly box for my biggest but woefully inadequate streamer (in this case, a #6 6xlong) and spent 15 frustrating minutes trying to lure her back. I'm going back for her at dusk some evening this week, but I will be taking the 6wt and my box of pike flies and big bass poppers. She's going right back once I catch her, but I gotta see her up close.
It made me think of our recent discussion about rod weight and fly size. I know I SHOULD be able to cast a large enough fly with my 3wt; I just know that, even if I could, I wouldn't enjoy the experience.
And truth be told, I fish for the enjoyment.
brent

Post subject: Re: Undergunned.
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:10 am • # 2 

Catch her, Brent! I don't care what you catch her on either, just catch her!!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 am • # 3 

Brent as noted before, on the 3weight using an OPST Commando head you will be very able to cast a big fly weighted cone head out to 100 feet easily. The three weight will handle a big fish too. I have taken a 3.5-4lb bass on the same set up. Living where you are with those rivers that is what I would be doing, Micro Skagit. Congrats on those nice fish you have laid into.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:47 am • # 4 

Cliff: Couldn't agree more! Didn't get to it last night, because I was fishing a local lake for bass with streamers. We boated maybe 15 fish; all 11 to16". Good fun. There was a staggering hatch of blackflies. Pretty sure I swallowed and snorted a good pound of them. Anyway, I told my buddy the story while we motored around the lake in his v-stern canoe. He recommended spinning gear and an 8" Creek Chub Rapala. He even offered to come do it for me. What a good friend. You never know - it might come to that.

Linecaster: Wow! you sent me on a google search that turned into an hour long adventure! Thanks!
brent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:17 am • # 5 

I love seeing large fish come up like that. It really gets me going and frothing at the mouth. Then I do my rendition of Capt. Ahab searching for Moby Dick.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply