It is currently Tue May 24, 2022 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Viginia Combat Fishing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:16 am • # 1 

I tend to whine about our long local winters and envy those of you who fish year-round. Some years I am fortunate to go south for a few weeks.This year, I had the good fortune to visit some friends who were hanging out in Virginia in the Blue Ridge mountains. I snuck off while they were golfing and cocktailing, and fished some local ponds and lakes, and had some great fun catching rainbows, mostly 9 to 11”.

One new experience was fishing in a crowd. One cloudy afternoon, I arrived at a pond of about 3 acres, to find one other fly angler fishing on the far side. We exchanged pleasantries, and I made sure not to crowd him, moving anti-clockwise around the pond, following his lead. We engaged in no further discussion. We were having pretty good luck, when vehicles started arriving at a nearby parking lot. Soon we were surrounded by probably 10 spin fishermen and bait-flangers, including a young lad of about 10 who would rush over whenever someone caught a fish and start dropping his chrome contrivance wherever he guessed the fish had been found. His dad did nothing to discourage this, so I let it go. Besides, I have a real soft spot for youngsters who still fish.
Turns out, our good luck was in part due to a recent stocking effort by the DNR, and word was clearly out. I mentioned to the spinning fishermen who explained the recent stocking, that it was getting a little crowded. He said this was nothing, and to wait til everyone got off work around 5.
Around about this time, my wife, who had gone for a little hike and was meeting me there, arrived back and came over the hill to see me fishing with my new friends. She started laughing. After almost 50 years together, she knows what a misanthrope I am, and especially that, when I fish alone, I prefer to be by myself.
It was a new experience, and only happened once, so no big deal. But it did remind me how lucky I am for the hours I spend on the stream either alone or with a trusted angling buddy. And besides, I was fishing in my shirtsleeves while everyone back home was shoveling snow.
(I also had a fantastic guided experience, but more on that elsewhere)
Brent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:46 am • # 2 

I'd like to see the ten year old in action with the 5 o'clock crowd...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:21 pm • # 3 

That situation is all too common on opening and stocking days here in NJ. It’s the antithesis of why I fish so I stay away. Guess I’m a fellow misanthrope.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:47 am • # 4 

Brent, if you want to fish alone (as I do) just don't bathe, shave or comb your hair (unless like me you don't have much) and wear raggedy old clothes that look like you've been wearing them 24/7 for several months - it's amazing how quickly everyone else will leave as soon as they see or smell you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:35 pm • # 5 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Brent, if you want to fish alone (as I do) just don't bathe, shave or comb your hair (unless like me you don't have much) and wear raggedy old clothes that look like you've been wearing them 24/7 for several months - it's amazing how quickly everyone else will leave as soon as they see or smell you.

I'll give it a try, Cliff. (Expect another call from my wife ;) )
brent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:44 am • # 6 

I figure if any of us liked other people all that much, we'd be posting on the bowling forum or something. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:13 am • # 7 

TXH2Oman wrote:
I figure if any of us liked other people all that much, we'd be posting on the bowling forum or something. ;)

:lol :lol :applause
(when I fish alone, I prefer to be by myself)
brent

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply