It is currently Tue May 24, 2022 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Sipping Salmo
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:45 am • # 1 

I got out for a full glorious day yesterday on my home river, It was the nicest day of the upcoming week and the walleye opener is next weekend, Heading up to our usual spot in Voyager National Park.

It was a bright sunny day 70 degrees, haven't felt that much in the last 7 months and the water temperature was 56 degrees. That really doesn't vary too much because all of our trout rivers and streams are spring fed, they don't freeze over and we have a catch and release season all winter, in the summer the trout are able to find shade and cool water. Wild brook and brown trout inhabit this river.

I fished my new 2wt again I enjoy that rig and wanted to clock some more field time with it, I also fished dry flies even though I saw few risers and surprisingly caught a good number of brown trout in all year classes from 3" on up to the beast I landed in the evening. I did drift a green bead head scud in a deep green pool bend I stumbled on and caught a couple nice browns on that.

That was the story of the day, keep moving and keep fishing, I was exploring new sections of river only accessible to hiking and wading, I thought it might be busy but actually it was quite empty at the access lots.

Casting to rising fish was challenging in the gin clear water and I did pick up some intended targets with a nice presentation but the biggest surprise was fishing dry flies in the areas where I thought fish might be. Just drifting the seams was not working at all, so I pinpointed targets along rocks and log tangles, anything with structure where a good fish could be laying, and just kept moving. The bright day and the river being so clear, I felt there wasn't going to be a comeback cast, a waste of time, and normally it is, you get one shot on a rising fish in normal more trout friendly conditions.

The new water coaxed me on and on, the excitement and possibilities of the next run, hole structure, I felt young again full of wonder, until two angry geese charged me as they were nesting, and I seen fish shooting by and I picked up the pace out of there.

It was a great day, I fished hard and smart and was rewarded for my efforts, the largest fish pictured was a memorable fish, nothing going on, few bugs hatching, the light receded, I had`nt caught anything for awhile. There was two rocks that stuck out by a seam around 50 feet across and down a little. I made the cast for the downriver edge of the rock, the fly landed without a ripple, a quick high mend before the slack disappeared and the fly drifted down perfectly and in the center of the two rocks there was just this slight swirl and the fly was gone.

I carefully and firmly set the hook and the rod doubled up and the clicker started screaming, it was a good fish, the fish ran into the current and upriver and then turned and caught air, the fish screamed down river and jumped another two times a another good run before I was able to apply side pressure and get him out of the flow and into the net. I pulled the fly, let the fish rest in my large net, took a quick photo and dumped the net.

A memorable day.

Post subject: Re: Sipping Salmo
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:14 am • # 2 

Nice report, and nice fish! thanks
brent

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:09 pm • # 3 

great report and awesome pics.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:13 pm • # 4 

Excellent report and pictures. Enjoyed the post.....keep em coming.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:53 pm • # 5 

Great day!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:43 pm • # 6 

Thanks Guys, I can`t wait until the bugs start hatching. This was May 19th 2018. Caddis, BWO, Mosquitoes, Mayflies and god knows what else. The fishing? Priceless

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:19 am • # 7 

Wow!

Y'all might wanna invest in a squeegee. Those windows are gonna get nasty!

Great pics!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:17 pm • # 8 

Yes indeed, that is a very nice report. But you might want to be a bit careful. Minnesota isn’t quite so famous for its trout fishing as its neighboring states of Wisconsin and Michigan.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 pm • # 9 

I fish both sides of the driftless MN. and WI. The amount of water is staggering couldn't fish it all in a lifetime. I love the driftless. Its not destination fly fishing, but what we have on the driftless is nice.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:59 pm • # 10 

Great report and excellent pics. What a nice location.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:53 pm • # 11 

Very interesting report and pictures. That stream looks gorgeous.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:36 pm • # 12 

Beautiful , just beautiful . You are blessed to live close to such a place .

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply