It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 1 wt walleye fun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:37 pm • # 1 

Two years ago I went through the disappointment of losing my favorite river. A combination of irrigation withdrawals, government stone walling on fixing pumping stations and deep snow levels resulted in what looked like a total winter kill. We lost a river full of big bluegills, crappie and channel cats. Not to mention the pike, drum, mooneye, goldeye, sauger, walleye, carp and many other species the river supported.

This year we had long term high flows and the river seems to have repopulated, at least with some of the early season migrants that traveled up from the Red River during the spring thaw.

Best of all was that caught most of these fish using a new 1 wt fly rod and the rest with my trusty 2 wt.

Post subject: Re: 1 wt walleye fun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:29 pm • # 2 

Looks like you had a good day on the water. Glad to hear your river is coming back.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:50 pm • # 3 

nice variety of fish. Glad their back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:50 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Good to see you have it back and fishing well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:23 am • # 5 

What a great multi-species day you had! I'm so glad your river system was able to recover this time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:37 am • # 6 

Thanks guys, I’m enjoying every moment I can with it. Unfortunately it’s bound to winter kill again this coming winter.

The river has a very small watershed, big enough to sustain itself, but unfortunately not large enough to provide for the many requirements imposed on it. Four golf courses and three towns take all their water requirements from it and to sustain that kind of drawdown 3 pumps are normally employed to draw water from a different watershed to augment flows. Unfortunately, those pumps require about 2 million dollars worth of maintenance and the provincial government has been fighting with the municipalities about who should pay that for the last couple of years. It’s my understanding the pumps have stood idle those last two years.

The river is already at levels normally not experienced till the fall during a drought year.

But for now the fishing is still good and my 1 wt can handle every fish I’ve caught this year.

Harry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:20 pm • # 7 

Unfortunately most rivers don’t get much respect, at least not in my neck of the woods. Incidentally, it’s good to see about your catching walleyes. They’re not commonly taken on fly tackle, much less on a 1-weight. What kind of flies are you using?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:44 pm • # 8 

Great day. Hopefully, that fishery can be sustained...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:22 am • # 9 

The fly that caught most of those is fish is the one pictured in the perch’s mouth.
It was either a size 12 or 14 bead head streamer with an olive marabou tail and peacock sparkle chenille body. I think the bead head was made of tungsten and the fly was extremely difficult to cast on the 1 wt but it was also a killer pattern that day. The flies that made casting easy had little appeal to the fish.

I’m working on a similar fly with a lighter bead or or chain bead head that will be easier to cast AND will catch fish. If that doesn’t work I’ll just replace my peaked cap with a hard hat to deflect those fish-catching missiles.

Harry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:11 am • # 10 

That's a great day!

Always fun to land different species the same day.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply