It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:33 pm • # 1 

Posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd share here as well. In addition to the C Barclay Synthesis 66, the TFO Finesse 1-wt did yeoman's work on these streams.

Seven days. More than 2,100 miles and 10,000 feet in elevation gain. Lots of mosquito bites, dirt, and a hailstorm. One black bear, 60 or 70 elk, countless mule deer. My three sons, ranging in age from 7 to 20.

And lots of beautiful fish.

Apparently the second week of July is "head to the mountains time," I just missed Preast, got to catch up with Chris Barclay for a couple of hours, did not get to stop by and introduce myself to Aurelio and the gang (kids in tow, miles to hike, fish to stalk), though I drove right by the lodge, but hope to on a future trip, and snagged a day with a longtime fishing buddy who was vacationing with the family in a cabin over the pass.

I love our sport (pastime? hobby? vocation? lifestyle? obsession?), the community it brings together, and the places it takes us.

Did I mention the beautiful fish?

And (literal) hang time with the kiddos ....

There was even an impromptu casting lesson. Pretty cool when the guy who designed and handcrafted your fishing pole shows you how to use it.

The Synthesis 66 2-wt is *the* rod for these streams and fish, by the way.

Size 14 orange stimis worked well (thanks for the box, CB!). A fluffy little caddis pattern cooked-up by Chris Johnson at Living Waters Fly Fishing did well in the late afternoon. But these aren't super picky fish. Some, I know for a fact, had not seen anything but a natural since at least last October.

Public lands are awesome. I wish we had more in Texas.

Just ... beyond grateful for this past week and the memories.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:59 pm • # 2 

That was a very excellent story, with great pics!! I'm happy you and your tribe had a good time!!! Once you're back, then the planning start all over for next year!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:10 am • # 3 

Awesome report!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:38 am • # 4 

The kids will remember that trip for the rest of their lives.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:52 am • # 5 

Awesome report and pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:03 pm • # 6 

Aaron,
What are you doing with those poor boys? Every time I see them, you have them in the woods or standing in a creek. Don't you know they are supposed to be sitting in front of a screen, playing games in the house? With all that wading around, they are liable to get webbed feet. :P

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:48 pm • # 7 

You're doing a great job, my friend. Keep it up. Only when the next generation values public lands will they be safe.
brent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:27 pm • # 8 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
Aaron,
What are you doing with those poor boys? Every time I see them, you have them in the woods or standing in a creek. Don't you know they are supposed to be sitting in front of a screen, playing games in the house? With all that wading around, they are liable to get webbed feet. :P

Larry

Larry, I check em every Sunday, right after the weekly bath. If the webs ain't growing, we schedule more creek time!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:28 pm • # 9 

wheezeburnt wrote:
You're doing a great job, my friend. Keep it up. Only when the next generation values public lands will they be safe.
brent

Thanks man. Feel like we're just getting started. So much to see and do, so little time ....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:52 pm • # 10 

Well, as long as you're checking their feet I guess it's alright. ;) I'm, looking forward to my trip into southern Colorado in about a month.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:27 am • # 11 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
Well, as long as you're checking their feet I guess it's alright. ;) I'm, looking forward to my trip into southern Colorado in about a month.

Larry

I'll be in Southern Colorado in a month also . Going up around the 10-15th and staying til I run out of money . Where you going to be ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:03 pm • # 12 

Ron,
We will be up around Mogote, on the Conejos River. Will be there from Aug. 29 to Sep. 2. Meeting up with keebranch, preast, and a couple of other guys from the Fort Worth Flyfishers. Hope nobody expects me to take long hikes or go hill climbing. This old fat man gets winded bending over to tie his shoes. I'm not quite the lean, mean Marine I was in my younger days. Still somewhat mean, but definitely not lean. :\

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:05 pm • # 13 

PM sent .

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply