It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:43 pm • # 1 

It's been a while since I've posted here. I decided to start building my own rods.

This is my first capture on my first build... From a 3wt rod kit from eBay. Image

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:19 pm • # 2 

Very nice fish and rod well done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 am • # 3 

Nice fish and rod BUT we need more pictures !
You cant build just one , I found that out over thirty rods ago ! lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:28 am • # 4 

Actually I have the following pending to be built

Purchased:
3wt glass kit from eBay
4wt Epic kit
0wt 7.6' RDP
6wt glass kit from eBay

Just ordered:
3wt Moonlit (the brown one)
6wt Moonlit Nirvana

It's as addictive as fly tying.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 am • # 5 

Have you wiggled the Moonlit ? I have the 5wt Lunar and dont care for it much .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 am • # 6 

Awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:53 am • # 7 

jangles wrote:
Have you wiggled the Moonlit ? I have the 5wt Lunar and dont care for it much .
No, I'm waiting for them to arrive.

So... Why don't you like it? What are you comparing against?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:55 pm • # 8 

I'm not actually sure why I dont like it except that on the wiggle test it just is too wimpy . Even casting it , I dont know why . I compare it to an Aventik 5wt 8' s glass that I just built , also an 8' S-glass 4wt Blue Halo and another Aventik 8'S-Glass 4 wt that I built . Matter of fact every wt E or S glass rod I have is preferable to the Moonlit except for my Eagle Claw Crafted Glass 7'6" 3 WT . That particular rod just feels like a tree trunk in 3wt so it's my least favorite rod period . I hope I have explained you question , I will re-read later today and adjust as my foggy brain wakens , bad night last night .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:17 pm • # 9 

Makes sense.

Aventik are the same blanks as Maxcatch, they are very good rods for the price both graphite and glass.

There's a local that owns Epic and Maxcatch glass rods. He says that aside from hardware quality (seat, guides, etc) he sees no performance difference.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:33 am • # 10 

I've got a carbon 7.5' 2wt "Airlite Fly" which I think is a Maxcatch despite the lack of branding. Great rod! A bit faster action than my usual preference but an excellent caster and a very versatile true 2wt. I think it was $50 shipped a couple years ago, brand new. No bells and whistles but the finish is good. The "domestic" rod manufacturers had best be careful, their niche is about to disappear.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:31 pm • # 11 

What niche? Lol

The internet has made the world flat in terms of accessibility to products. Many american brands have their gear manufactured in Asia.

That rod is a Maxcatch rod. I have their Ultralite 1wt and I love that little rod.

Will be letting all my pre made rods go as I am moving to rod building and would like to use only rods I've put together.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm • # 12 

The niche where they charge a large markup on mass produced fishing gear made in the far east :)

I thought that rod might be a Maxcatch, the finish and rod case had a familiar style. I haven't got into rod building, but I'm assuming it's just a matter of time. I'm sure my first few attempts will be much inferior and overall more expensive than buying the same blank built out already, which is what has stopped me so far.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:12 pm • # 13 

It's not about saving money... What hobby is?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:03 pm • # 14 

It's the "inferior" part that really gets me. I have an old Fenwick FF85 rod that needs to be rebuilt before it can be fished again, so I guess I could try with that and have relatively little to lose.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:57 pm • # 15 

Read on a Lipton teabag once...'The worst form of failure is failure to try'. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:04 pm • # 16 

The hardest part of building my first rod was learning the X locking wrap . I was all downhill from there . I have a glass / carbon 1wt waiting in the wings . I really needed another 1wt as I have 5 now . :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:58 pm • # 17 

Like women shoes... There's never enough of them. I feel you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:58 am • # 18 

roblepl wrote:
It's been a while since I've posted here. I decided to start building my own rods.

This is my first capture on my first build... From a 3wt rod kit from eBay. Image

Roblepl,

Belated congratulations on a job well done with the DIY fly rod and the peacock bass!

Welcome also to the wonderful world of rod building! I saw a post that you had made elsewhere regarding the possibilities of using a 4-piece, 2- or 3-weight 11 foot blank to make a 1-weight by using only the upper 3 sections. I was dismayed to note that almost all the answers amounted to something like, “Of course that can’t be done because I’ve never done it.”

That said, could you kindly tell us what blank you were considering? It seems to me that you may have asked the right question, just not at the right place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:50 am • # 19 

Hey Pete,

Sorry about the delay. I usually use Tapatalk to post here. Seems to not be working for a few weeks now.

I do not recall the specific blank, probably I stumbled upon it on ebay. Since lower weight Fiberglass blanks are not easy nor cheap to find, it was a dumb idea that crossed my mind and decided to ask that question over there.

Since the rod here I have put together 3 more, much better looking than this first one. Most recent is a 0wt RDP 7.5' which I should be appyling Prokote today. Will post pictures in a couple days once I am done with that. '

It's great to be back here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:51 am • # 20 

Hey Pete,

Sorry about the delay. I usually use Tapatalk to post here. Seems to not be working for a few weeks now.

I do not recall the specific blank, probably I stumbled upon it on ebay. Since lower weight Fiberglass blanks are not easy nor cheap to find, it was a dumb idea that crossed my mind and decided to ask that question over there.

Since the rod here I have put together 3 more, much better looking than this first one. Most recent is a 0wt RDP 7.5' which I should be appyling Prokote today. Will post pictures in a couple days once I am done with that. '

It's great to be back here.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply