It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next   Page 2 of 8   [ 152 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:54 pm • # 21 

Larry, it’s nice to see that you’re back out there fishing, in Montana no less. And it’s also good to know that you’ve gotten an old friend into fly-fishing. BTW, did you ever get everything worked out regarding your Hardy Perfect?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:56 pm • # 22 

I'm sitting in Montrose , Colorado with a buddy that's broken down . Leaving him at the Ford dealership tomorrow while I continue alone . Have NO idea where to fish in this area . Probably head south and look for liquid without a sign on it .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:40 pm • # 23 

hatidua wrote:
A friend and I (both of us from Colorado) drove over and did the Wyoming Cutthroat Slam last week.

Any photos to share? I'm hoping to make a trip and attempt to complete the slam sometime next summer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:42 pm • # 24 

Pete,
The Pure Fishing service center in Iowa took good care of me. As soon as the rest of my rods get back from Montana, I may get a chance to use the reel again.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:10 am • # 25 

Messing around by the house I caught a freshwater drum off of the dock. I tried a local tailwater recently but the water was very high because they were spilling. I may go back tomorrow or the next day as that nonsense has stopped. I’m still getting used to this generating schedule thing out here. Anyway, I’ll try to remember to drag the camera out this time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:56 am • # 26 

This 8.5-9" bluegill took a #14 hare's ear while I was fishing some roadside cypress trees Tuesday morning. Not quite a true "dinner plate," but still a nicer 'gill than most I catch around here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:46 pm • # 27 

I fished the stream where I live a couple days ago. We've had record-setting low flows and high temps this year. Where the stream passes under a covered bridge about 500m upstream, you can walk across in crocs and not take on water. But a few turns downstream, where you can't see from the bridge and where I fish, it becomes a series of pools up to about 3 feet deep, separated by narrow riffles to add oxygen. I took my 1 wt and a box of flies down and fished for a couple hours. The big bass are all gone downstream, but there were plenty of little smallies from 6 to 10" willing to play, plus some yellow perch and redbreast sunfish, and my personal favourite 'trash' fish, the fallfish. All the 12"+ fallfish breeders were gone, but there were dozens of 6 to 11" 'hoovermouth trout' willing to sip a #16 dry or smash a #14 red beadhead nymph. I had great luck with a yellow-winged #14 muddler (grasshopper?) on the bass, and the sunfish were keying on the little nymphs, as well. Played maybe 35 fish, not one worthy of mention in most local anglers' books, but they made for a great afternoon, and only a 5 minute walk. (was atlantic salmon fishing earlier in the week, but given the rod weight, not really worth mention here.)
brent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:27 am • # 28 

Sounds like a fun day, Brent. Now, tell us about the HUGE salmon you caught earlier in the week. Inquiring minds want to know!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:39 pm • # 29 

Haha. Never touched one. There were dozens of them (4 to 20 lb) piled up at the mouth of the brook across the Miramichi from my buddy's camp, trying to survive the hot water and low flows, but we didn't attempt to catch them because the fight really threatens their survival. The river should have been shut down completely for salmon fishing, but there are a LOT of outfitters and millionaires upstream, so.... We did fish the warmer water a bit, and I caught one small trout. My buddy's cat loves to eat chub/fallfish/shiners, so I spent a bit of time filling a bag with them and freezing them. There were some very large striped bass sweeping through the shallows chasing baitfish from time to time, but their presence was far too random to effectively fish for them. Waiting for a few nights of cold temps and a couple of days of rain before it would be safe to fish for the salmon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:33 pm • # 30 

Admittedly not caught on UL gear (fear of hooking a bull red prevents me from using my 3-wt in the marsh), but felt this warranted sharing.

Caught a number of specks early Wednesday morning on a shrimp fly pattern that's done well for me this spring/summer. Decided to throw one decent fish (~16") on the stringer for fish tacos. Sadly, I wasn't the only one craving fish for dinner...

Darn shark hit so hard that it tore the bungee cord the stringer was attached to clean off the side of my kayak.

Not what I was expecting in 3' of water.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:37 pm • # 31 

:eek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 am • # 32 

Does everyone see the tooth on the top of that speckled trout's mouth? Having been raised in New Orleans and having fished for speckled trout for many years I always knew not to grab trout by the mouth like we do bass. But in 1978 I moved to Plano, TX and took up freshwater fishing and learned that you could grab a fish by the lips to land it. About 15 years later I went to visit my brother who was living in Biloxi, Mississippi , and we fished for specs ob Back Bay Biloxi. The first trout I caught guess where I grabbed it to land it? Yep, the mouth. Guess what I got stuck with? Yep, the nasty teeth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:43 pm • # 33 

Did a little wade fishing yesterday. Spent three hours with only a single bite. Then switched to the "Half-drowned" Hopper pattern I've been using on the streams a lot the past few months.

Suddenly it was strikes almost ever cast including some stunning Longear...

And this brute of a small stream largemouth that calmly sipped the #14 hopper as it drifted through some slack water.

Fun fight with some jumps and a mid-current run downstream, but I still wish it had been one of the spotted bass I was hoping for.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:53 pm • # 34 

Another small stream bass. This time a spotted. Caught ~20 total, up to 1.25 lbs, on this trip.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:43 am • # 35 

One of the perks of the away from home lodging used on my assigned run is a small park impoundment full of small fish, but they are overly willing to bite! This morning's adventure yielded a dozen or so green sunfish and bluegill. Lost a few Mexican Tetras before landing. All these fish bit a yellow craft foam creation based loosly on a llano bug pattern. Later, speaking with fellow crew members, each of us admitted to eyeballing a small creek with a pool at a certain milepost along the tracks. Framed with palm trees, no telling what may be lurking in that water. I keep waiting for an opportunity to fish that pool, but randomly stopping a freight train to go fish is generally bad form to continued employment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 pm • # 36 

Great pics!!!

Well I haven't contributed in a while so here are a few from my short local outing earlier today.

Dusted off an old friend and spent two hours on a local creek

After not having any luck throwing streamers to a couple of the larger residents I decided to switch up my tactics. I tied on a terrestrial pattern dry fly and spent the remainder of my time catching around 20 of these little guys.

Not too bad of a way to spend a couple of hours on a Wednesday morning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:48 pm • # 37 

Nice!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:56 am • # 38 

My only trout from a trip to the Smokys last week.

I got my father on one as well. Sadly, my wife lost her only trout of the week when her rod tip became tangled in a low hanging branch.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:32 pm • # 39 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:

I got my father on one as well. Sadly, my wife lost her only trout of the week when her rod tip became tangled in a low hanging branch.

Chris

Hopefully she did not lose the rod tip as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:47 pm • # 40 

lka wrote:
Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:

Chris

Hopefully she did not lose the rod tip as well.

Thankfully not. Just a momentary tangle that allowed the line to go just slack enough for the fish to flip free.

Chris

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next   Page 2 of 8   [ 152 posts ] New Topic Add Reply