It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next   Page 4 of 8   [ 152 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:27 pm • # 61 

Not on my 3-wt, but decided to give carp a try this morning. Final count was 20-30 fish sighted, 10-12 follows/refusals, and two hook ups over the course of 2 hours. Successful flies were the basic carp pattern (red chenille tail extending from black soft hackle) and a clouser's swimming nymph. Fun morning and something I may attempt to repeat with my 3 wt. Just need to make sure I have enough backing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:37 pm • # 62 

Chris: Now THAT looks like fun on ANY weight rod. Beautiful fish and beautiful shots. One question: what's with the unusual stringing of the rod between reel and first guide? Are you by any chance left handed, and swap hands for casting vs reeling?
brent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:56 pm • # 63 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Chris: Now THAT looks like fun on ANY weight rod. Beautiful fish and beautiful shots. One question: what's with the unusual stringing of the rod between reel and first guide? Are you by any chance left handed, and swap hands for casting vs reeling?
brent

That was the result of hauling in line too quickly when my first cast was off the mark. The fish was cruising and I wanted to get a second cast off before it was out of range. Second cast hit the mark, but line wrapped around the rod in process.

Edit: I just realized, I did momentarily switch hands to pull my GoPro out of my pocket after hooking the fish. Guessing that's where it happened.

Chris

Last edited by Chris_in_Louisiana on Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:31 am • # 64 

Ah. Makes sense. I usually manage to get my neck into the equation under those circumstances. ;) Great that you managed to land him.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:37 am • # 65 

The reason that I mentioned switching hands is that most of my fishing buddies here follow the local salmon fishing tradition of casting with their right hand, then switching hands on hook-up so they can reel with their right hand. Gear is set up accordingly. I've seen some odd things happen during that hand-switching. I'm a cast-right, reel left kinda guy who never switches hands. Makes it hard to trade/lend gear. For all my proselytizing, I've never converted one of them. 40 years of muscle memory won't allow it. But everyone I've taught to flyfish does it 'my' way. :lol
brent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:50 am • # 66 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Ah. Makes sense. I usually manage to get my neck into the equation under those circumstances. ;) Great that you managed to land him.
brent

The rod shot was actually my second, larger fish of the morning. I did manage to land it, but sadly didn't get a picture of it. I was attempting to peel the weeds away (similar to the first fish shot) when the hook popped out. A shame as it was the better fish by far.

The strike occurred just past the near weed line in the lower left of the bent rod image. By the time I tightened down on the drag to slow its run, the fish was brushing up against the far weed line along the left edge of the image.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:52 pm • # 67 

Wow! Sounds like great fun! (our season is closed til April 15, and we're freezing up, anyway)
brent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:44 am • # 68 

Nice!

Situations like that usually cost me a fly and half my leader...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:17 pm • # 69 

I had a goal of catching a carp on a fly rod this year. I went out four times in the spring and summer, had probably 20 good shots at a carp but never managed to hook one. Most spooked at my fly or line hitting the water, a few just ignored the fly entirely, and the rest spooked at the sight of me before I even got the cast out. We don't have the concentrations of carp here like warmer climates do and many of the largest lake and river systems around here are (for the moment) free of carp so there aren't that many good carp fisheries close. The goal got moved to 2021...

I was thinking about trying to participate in the Roughfish challenge next year. Has anybody else been involved with that?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:45 pm • # 70 

I caught a fish once . It was either a 10 lb striper or a bullhead . O0

Last edited by jangles on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:04 pm • # 71 

lka wrote:
We don't have the concentrations of carp here like warmer climates do

Oddly enough, I always considered carp to be more prevalent in cool water environments. I've yet to find the concentrations in the south that I was use to seeing growing up along the shores of Lake Ontario.

It took a little cyber sleuthing to even realize I had the option I did so close to home. I had been thinking of chasing carp for quite a while, but social media (of which I reluctantly joined this year for the first time at the age of 38) posts regarding targeting carp on the fly seemed to always highlight the canals around New Orleans. Not wanting to drive an hour, I searched a bit to see if there was anything closer to home. A photo on the iNaturalist site of carp feeding in the shallows of a local "lake" is what led me to try where I did. Glad I saved the gas.

lka wrote:
I was thinking about trying to participate in the Roughfish challenge next year. Has anybody else been involved with that?

I'm very intrigued by their challenge. I did a few of the spring challenges this year (when fly fishing was applicable) and plan on giving it another go in 2021.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:27 am • # 72 

A belated Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of you! Here's a little stocker "Rainbeaux" I managed while out fishing the power bait crew at a local pond last week.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:28 pm • # 73 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
A belated Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of you! Here's a little stocker "Rainbeaux" I managed while out fishing the power bait crew at a local pond last week.

That's a feat. I don't think there has ever been a more effective stocker trout rig made than powerbait on a carolina rig.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:29 pm • # 74 

the annual white bass run is starting here. mostly small males right now.

i caught these on ultralight spin gear. now that i found them i will be going back with ultralight fly gear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:53 am • # 75 

There's supper!
brent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:53 am • # 76 

They are a ball on an ultralight fly rod.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:02 pm • # 77 

Been a bum year so far, haven't caught anything. Of course I've only been out of bed for about 2 1/2 hours. Hopefully I will catch some kind of fish within the next 364 days.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:07 pm • # 78 

Took an early lunch break today and went in search of more stocker rainbow trout. No such luck, but this little 'gill was kind enough to serve as my first catch of 2021. And also the first fish on my new Echo Dry 2wt.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 pm • # 79 

I caught a few small chubs like this one today on a squirmy worm. Wasn't easy as the weather was quite cold and fish were very spooky and concentrated in just one or two pools but not really willing to bite.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:45 am • # 80 

I've been out a few times in recent weeks with varied success. Nothing too exciting on my UL gear (spotted bass, sunfish, etc), but I did want to share this unexpected by-catch while chasing Red Fish in the marsh yesterday.

Striped Mullet: Never had one of those take a fly before

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next   Page 4 of 8   [ 152 posts ] New Topic Add Reply