It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next   Page 5 of 8   [ 152 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:26 am • # 81 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
Striped Mullet: Never had one of those take a fly before

There are a few articles on fishing for them. My fishing buddy's first saltwater fish on the fly was a mullet!

I had one take a gurgler once!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:50 pm • # 82 

I attempted a bit of carp fishing yesterday at a local lake. Only thing caught was a jogger's thigh on a back cast.

Really glad he had a sense of humor about it and was able to remove the hook without a trip to the ER.

Could have been a lot worse...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:35 am • # 83 

Been catching mostly largemouth lately, on spinning gear. Its been a month and a half since I took a flyrod out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:24 pm • # 84 

Ice has melted and temps are back in the 70s!

This afternoon I took a few EP Minnow style streamers I tied during the freeze to a local spot in hopes of finding some largemouth. While the largemouth weren't in the mood to play, a number of black crappie were!

This was completely unexpected in this "pond" (more like roadside drainage) that is crystal clear and maxes out at 18" depth. Never thought I'd find crappie in there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 pm • # 85 

I'm glad you clarified "black" crappie as you probably know 75 percent of people think there is only a white crappie or a black crappie and something in between called a perch . I dont know where they ever got perch to associate with Crappie ???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:01 am • # 86 

GPS coordinates please.

I haven't caught a fish this year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 am • # 87 

strummer wrote:
GPS coordinates please.

I haven't caught a fish this year.

It's not too hard to find. That fuzzy light colored strip in the background on the left hand side is I-10. That said, I'd imagine the fishing should be a little better in your part of the country right now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:34 pm • # 88 

Got one!

It was a slow day for everyone...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:02 pm • # 89 

Headed back out to the spot I found the crappie last Tuesday after lunch today. I was throwing the same small EP Minnow pattern as last week and landed a few bluegill early on. Had one decent bass miss shortly after. Then saw a massive wake form behind my fly on the following cast. The fish missed on the first strike, but it kept coming. I drove the hook home on the second strike and FISH ON!!

Though I momentarily thought I had a 10 lbs bass on, it quickly became apparent I was dealing with a different beast. Hell of a fight on my 3wt Echo Base, but after 15 minutes I slid this dinosaur ashore. My adrenaline must have still been elevated as these are the best two shots I got.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:36 pm • # 90 

That's a nice bowfin, or grinnell, they fight like a fish 3 times their size. About 20 years ago I caught what was for 18 years the Texas State Record bowfin on a 4-wt, it strained the tendons in my right wrist and I had to use my left hand for casting for a couple of months.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:29 pm • # 91 

Cool!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:42 am • # 92 

I caught one ice fishing with jig rod- hell of a fight. A lot of people target them in CT.
BTW- how do you like your Echo Base rod?
Nice catch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:14 am • # 93 

Appreciate it guys! It put up a hell of a fight!

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
That's a nice bowfin, or grinnell, they fight like a fish 3 times their size. About 20 years ago I caught what was for 18 years the Texas State Record bowfin on a 4-wt, it strained the tendons in my right wrist and I had to use my left hand for casting for a couple of months.

Oddly enough, I realized I probably should have gotten this fish weighed after I had already released it. The #1 fly rod spot in the Louisiana record books is 6.66 lbs. However, the #2 spot is only 4.07 lbs (Spots 3-10 are actually vacant for this species). This fish definitely could have unseeded the #2 fish. Oh well...live and learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:18 am • # 94 

Skunkedalot wrote:
I caught one ice fishing with jig rod- hell of a fight. A lot of people target them in CT.
BTW- how do you like your Echo Base rod?
Nice catch

No one really targeted them in the parts of upstate NY where I grew up, but I know there's a decent fly rod fishery on Lake Champlain as well.

As for the Echo Base, I love the 7'6" 3 wt. It is a great all around rod and easily outperforms its price point (even cheaper now as they've rebranded them as the Echo Lift and placed most of the old model on clearance). I briefly had a 10' 7 wt as well, but wasn't nearly as impressed with the heavier model. That said, the guy I sold it to claims it is 10 times the rod he replaced (either a cabelas or white river model).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:21 pm • # 95 

Dusted off my old Orvis Silver Label 2wt yesterday morning and decided to do a bit of prospecting at a local park. The FFI Gulf Coast Council's Suncatch Challenge starts today, and I thought the little three foot wide stream might hold a few of the smaller species I'll need to complete the challenge.

Didn't end up with any of the "micro" species I was hoping for, but did manage to find bluegill, green, redear and redspotted sunfish along the way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:59 am • # 96 

Nice pics guys . I'm going to catch a fish one of these days I just dont know when or where !
Does anyone eat those Bowfin ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:13 pm • # 97 

The Suncatch Challenge! Gotta love it, gives these fish the props they deserve and no better way than a 2wt.

So what's the first fly? It's a foam parachute type tie, but is the body foam as well? Looked at your blog and couldn't find it in the tutorials section. Did get caught-up in the Primordial Carp stew part, though, so I may well have missed it. Love those pull-back belly ties, even at light weights they still hit the bottom proper and sit correctly when there.

Not very talented on the trout ties, but I can do The Stew! Is a chubby & grubby looking body on the on the p-chute, very panfishy appearance and just had me a-wonderin'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:30 pm • # 98 

knotjoe wrote:
The Suncatch Challenge! Gotta love it, gives these fish the props they deserve and no better way than a 2wt.

So what's the first fly? It's a foam parachute type tie, but is the body foam as well? Looked at your blog and couldn't find it in the tutorials section. Did get caught-up in the Primordial Carp stew part, though, so I may well have missed it. Love those pull-back belly ties, even at light weights they still hit the bottom proper and sit correctly when there.

Not very talented on the trout ties, but I can do The Stew! Is a chubby & grubby looking body on the on the p-chute, very panfishy appearance and just had me a-wonderin'.

Thanks for taking the time to read over my blog. I'm still doing my best to put up new tutorials regularly, but admittedly I'm more apt to spend time on the water this time of year than tying. Weather is just too beautiful. There will be plenty of time to add patterns when the summer heat sets in by early June.

As for that parachute pattern, I'm honestly not sure what it is called. I believe it came as a freebie when I ordered some flies in preparation for a trip out west a few years back (before I got back into tying). The body is a heavy synthetic dubbing of some sort. But I agree, something about that body made me decide to tie it on for panfish. And thankfully it fooled a few.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:49 am • # 99 

That challenge looks like fun!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:04 pm • # 100 

My first grayling this year, about 14 inches and put up a good fight on the 3 wt. Caught on a nymph
https://ibb.co/q0gGr7d

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next   Page 5 of 8   [ 152 posts ] New Topic Add Reply