It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next   Page 6 of 8   [ 152 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:25 pm • # 101 

Dominikk85 wrote:
My first grayling this year, about 14 inches and put up a good fight on the 3 wt. Caught on a nymph
https://ibb.co/q0gGr7d

Pretty fish!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:00 am • # 102 

strummer wrote:
Dominikk85 wrote:
My first grayling this year, about 14 inches and put up a good fight on the 3 wt. Caught on a nymph
https://ibb.co/q0gGr7d

Pretty fish!

Thank you, I like them, they have a lot of power too. Do graylings exist in the US?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:24 am • # 103 

Not sure about the 'lower 48', but I've caught them in Alaska, and we have 'em here in Canada's north, as well.
brent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:44 pm • # 104 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Not sure about the 'lower 48', but I've caught them in Alaska, and we have 'em here in Canada's north, as well.
brent

They do exist in the US. I know there are plenty in Yellowstone. The dorsal fins are blue. Please forgive the quality of the photo. It's a picture of a picture from the late 1900's. Cell phone availability was nowhere near what it is today... This was taken with a disposable camera.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:02 pm • # 105 

Did a bit of research but apparently the US version (thymallus Arctic us) is a different albeit closely related species from the eeuropean grayling (thymallus thymallus).

I guess they are pretty similar in optics and fishery though.

Seems your photo did not load strummer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:58 am • # 106 

Haha. Late 1900s. I love it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:28 am • # 107 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:58 am • # 108 

Rain finally stopped for the first time in a week, so I decided to take my 9' Echo Dry 2wt down to City Park in New Orleans.

Started out the day with this nice little Rio on Strummer's Bluegill Killer from the recent swap. Then proceeded to catch a number of bluegill on soft hackle.

Also lost a nice (13-15") bass on the soft hackle after a few explosive jumps, and one other larger fish (presumably a bigger Rio) that stayed deep. Both put quite a bend in the 2wt. Made for a fun afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:54 pm • # 109 

Sounds great! Thanks for the report.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:14 pm • # 110 

Ah, yes…

Not a bad feeling after some arduous hours of yard work which was done during sunny, calm conditions complete with the pleasure of sweating my ‘nads off. Finished up, got the tackle together, and as soon as I was in the truck it got cloudy, cooler, and brutally windy. Probably not the wisest choice to grab a 9’ 3wt and sling a 50 grain level line, but I like the sensitivity of the material regardless of how the lightness sucks in gusty conditions. No matter, they were willing and plentiful.

Most of this excursion was a test run on a few quick ties specifically designed to ride clean and cope with the mossy/weedy/algaic ponds in my area. Worked pretty well as far as shedding green stuff, double post weedguards seemed to hook-up just fine across various species.

Definitely like the addition of a chamois trailer, it helps the light ties ride hook up and sticks fish better just by where it sits on the hook bend. Probably try a few pull-back bellies with craft hair tails or mop material to see how it goes, neither here nor there on the lateral legs. The look nice, but I think sweptback rubber legs behave themselves better in salad and are easier to clean off. Plus, they don’t get wrapped all funny around the hook bend when casting. Love the lateral extending legs on topwater bugs, but such PITA in mossy conditions when fishing subsurface (it’s the angle they create).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:36 pm • # 111 

Nice, looks like you had a great day in spite of the weather. One thing I have learned is to not be intimidated by the weather. I’ve had some great fishing during some unbelievably bad conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:24 am • # 112 

I love the biodiversity you guys enjoy in the south. Amazing array of fish!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 am • # 113 

softhackle wrote:
I’ve had some great fishing during some unbelievably bad conditions.

Y'know, most of the good fishing for me seems to occur in adverse conditions. Wind is annoying for flycasting, but it's also the best stealth cover for presentation. Head to the windy side of the lake and the catch rate increases dramatically in many cases. Sometimes it's oxygen, sometimes it's temp, but mostly fish are just a bit more active and feel safe from above.

Shimmering light underwater makes foraging more effective for bass as well and probably more inclined to try a fly. Kinda like hawks going on the hunt at first drizzle, it not only slows the smaller birds down, it obscures the raptor's approach (visual and auditory) until it's too late. Backyard Cooper's hawk hunt pattern is like clockwork on this principle.

Around these parts, Osprey, Kingfishers, Loons, Herons, etc make placid water very uncomfortable for fish and they get spooky. Bit o' surface chop goes along way toward catching.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:56 am • # 114 

I love the rain!! When it rains near my house I get naked and go outside and dance around. The only thing that bites when I do that is the handcuffs the police put on my wrists. OUCH!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:04 am • # 115 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
I love the rain!! When it rains near my house I get naked and go outside and dance around. The only thing that bites when I do that is the handcuffs the police put on my wrists. OUCH!

Thank you sincerely for not posting pictures of this. :lol

Do be careful, though. To a police K9, bouncing balls are bouncing balls and they think you want to play. It’s gonna hurt when he gets ahold of ‘em and the judge will just say it's all your fault.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:56 pm • # 116 

Caught a nice little brown on a dry fly. Also a few small dace.
https://ibb.co/JFbQrQP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:59 pm • # 117 

BTW why can't I embed pictures into the text?

I tried to put in above link into that square backets IMG and it doesn't embed into the text.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:21 pm • # 118 

Use bbcode from drop down menu. Just hit “copy” button and paste into post. Nice fish, btw.

Make sure it’s the “full image” bbcode (first one on list). There’s a thumbnail one for bbcode further down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:55 pm • # 119 

Thanks, now it works. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:48 pm • # 120 

Beautiful brown.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next   Page 6 of 8   [ 152 posts ] New Topic Add Reply