It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: January 2020
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:25 am • # 1 

Edited

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: January 2020
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:22 am • # 2 

Great post and nice fish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:38 am • # 3 

Until 1995 I lived in northern Michigan and used to do my share of winter fishing, especially for lake-run rainbows. For me it was essentially ice-fishing or steelhead fishing. Anyway, the most beautiful thing about all that fishing is the lack of crowds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:31 am • # 4 

Nice report. thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:04 pm • # 5 

Edited

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:29 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Awesome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:08 am • # 7 

I talked to a friend of mine from NE Iowa and he said they are blown out as well as Viroqua , Wisc .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:10 am • # 8 

Unknownflyman wrote:
Thanks guys, It was cold today, ice in the guides all day, a couple risers, I swung soft hackles and switched to streamers. A big one broke off my black nose dace after almost ripping the rod out of my hands and I swung up my first brown of 2020 all of 8" on a cone head bugger size 10. I took a picture of my friend while I was warming my bare hands, we just kept swinging and moving down river all day. Quiet, peaceful and few fish.

Those are the times that it doesn't matter whether you catch fish or not, being in the peace, quiet and beauty of the outdoors is what it's all about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:21 am • # 9 

Edited

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:06 pm • # 10 

Unknownflyman wrote:
Yes its slow in the winter, fish aren't the point, they are the motivation to get out but casting, moving, watching wildlife, the snow was deep so it was hard to make out tracks. I like to see all the tracks, sometimes winter seems so lifeless, sometimes not even a bird, just the wind.

Jangles,
The rivers are not blown out at all, water is a little low and gin clear. Little melting if at all. Not above freezing yesterday.

Are you speaking for Viroqua as well ? This guy really needs to get fishing . His cabin is down by Highlandville and he says that river is shot as well .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:28 pm • # 11 

That very well could be true, that's like 4 hours south of me. The driftless angler in Viroqua posts good fishing the area on Facebook, looks better than up here, warmer, I dunno, the driftless is a large area.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:56 pm • # 12 

Nice post. Texas is too warm in the winter for my liking; enjoy the pictures of colder places, pretty too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:48 am • # 13 

I very much enjoyed your post. Our streams are under a foot or so of ice, and plenty more snow (plus they're closed to angling), so it brings me some measure of joy to see you out there enjoying the winter woods and streams. There is indeed a different feeling to the woods in winter. The silence and cold; the reduction of the world to blacks, whites and greys; the overwhelming feeling of dormancy can be very calming, I find. We are at least three months away from stream fishing, and likely more. Thank you for the vicarious outing.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:56 am • # 14 

wheezeburnt wrote:
I very much enjoyed your post. Our streams are under a foot or so of ice, and plenty more snow (plus they're closed to angling), so it brings me some measure of joy to see you out there enjoying the winter woods and streams. There is indeed a different feeling to the woods in winter. The silence and cold; the reduction of the world to blacks, whites and greys; the overwhelming feeling of dormancy can be very calming, I find. We are at least three months away from stream fishing, and likely more. Thank you for the vicarious outing.
brent

I would love to come fish those streams and rivers of yours but due to Canadian laws I cant . DUI 50 yrs ago , I haven't had a drink since . >:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:28 am • # 15 

jangles wrote:
I would love to come fish those streams and rivers of yours but due to Canadian laws I cant . DUI 50 yrs ago , I haven't had a drink since . >:

Sorry to hear that, bud. You would be most welcome in Canuckistan! Have you explored your options to have this reversed? There are four:
https://ptla.org/what-do-if-you-are-den ... onviction#

If its any consolation, its become significantly more difficult for a lot of our citizens to visit your wonderful country, as well, over the last three years. Perhaps this is tied to Canada having been determined to be a National Security Threat by Mr. Lighthizer?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... -of-steel/
I believe most Canadians were more saddened by this than angered.

I have the good fortune to live in Atlantic Canada, and our relationship with Maine continues to support fairly unimpeded flow in both directions for those of us who do not 'appear' to pose a threat. I believe that the collegial and neighbourly relationship we have always had with the folks in Maine cannot be so easily dismissed by the specious ramblings of a bureaucrat. Its that same relationship that drove the tiny town of Gander, NL to take in 38 US commercial and 4 military aircraft full of our neighbours and shelter and feed them for several days following 9/11 (well before we became a national security threat ;) )
Give it a try, bud. Canada can be a pretty forgiving country. We'd love to have you over!
brent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:13 pm • # 16 

wheezeburnt wrote:
brent

Thank you,

I like winter, I could never live south of here only north. I also love Canada, My grandfather was born in Winnipeg, so do I have Canadian ancestry? lol and lots of relatives that are citizens of Canada.

We are lucky to have spring creeks, that is the only reason they are not frozen solid, the lakes and rivers have between 2 and 3.5 feet of ice, and everyone is ice fishing and driving their trucks, snowmobiles and bombardiers on the ice. Crossing the border back and forth between Canada and Minnesota was not that big of a deal most of my life and now it is, and it is sad. I have the enhanced license so I can cross back and forth without a passport.

Lucky to have open rivers nearby and looking forward to fishing again soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:32 pm • # 17 

Nice!!!

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply