It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: First fish of the year
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:58 pm • # 1 

Today I decided to see if the crappie were beginning to come shallow so I took my tube and went jigging up and down the bridge pilings for a couple of hours for the first time this year :D . I'm still waiting for my first fish of the year because I didn't even get a hit. :\

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:29 pm • # 2 

I talked to two of my buddies yesterday, one here in central Oklahoma and the other down by Houston. Both regaled me with tales of their pond fishing this week in which they caught several bass ranging from 2 to 4 pounds. I had to plead with them to stop as envy was seriously setting in. The only consolation I had was that they caught them with spinning gear rather than on flies.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:36 pm • # 3 

My long rain filled fishing drought is finally over. My youngest grandsons wanted to go fishing today, so I went with them and my son-in-law to his parents' place where they have a couple of ponds. Both ponds were pretty dingy from all the rain we have been having lately. In the first pond we got a few nibbles on the kids rigs where we were using spincast gear with a cork and a jig. Got quite a few nibbles but the kids could never quite hook up. I had no luck with flies, so just stopped after a short while and helped one of the kids. We moved to the other pond where my son-in-law finally caught a bluegill. I finally decided to try again, and this time caught four bluegills, all about hand size. Caught them all on a black wooly bugger with rubber hackle. Apparently this pond stays fairly muddy all the time, as all the fish we caught were just almost colorless, at least very pale. It did feel good to finally feel that tug on the end of the line for the first time in several months. Hopefully within a couple of weeks my favorite streams will be back down to fishable levels unless we get more heavy rain.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply