It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:36 pm • # 1 

I always feel good when I try something and it works. A few days ago I was back on the same Illinois inland stream that I reported a while back. Because of the the continued low flows the trout were still concentrated in the same pools. The trout were swimming around nervously and ignoring my flies. I decided to go ahead and go downstream to see if many trout had made it downstream. Nothing do there either. Then I remembered something I had read in the book “No Hatch to Match” by Rich Osthoff. He had mentioned that he could catch nervous trout by using tiny nymphs. I remembered that I had some some tiny midge nymphs so I decided “what the h*** I’ll give the midges a try back at the pool.
The fly I used is called a gnarly midge. The one I used was a size 16 curved nymph, the body was tan thread, the rib was gold wire and a gold bead.
Anyway I tied on the nymph with an indicator a few feet above it. On my first cast I watched the indicator drift back towards toward me then it stopped and dipped down. I set the hook and felt the unmistakable feeling of fish struggling on the other end. After a brief struggle this guy ended up in the net.
Which was followed by this guy.
Looked like that guy escaped a heron attack. All the other trout I caught looked similar so no need to take more fish pictures.
I would like to say that this change up was catching them on every cast but that was not the case. I caught about 6 stockers in about an hour of fishing and I was the only one catching fish. It was a nice feeling.
I want to go back and try this again. Before I leave I’ll leave you with some scenery shots where you can see how low the stream is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:24 pm • # 2 

Lovely, I have tiny flies but don't use them on BG they swallow them to deep.
Nice report.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:57 am • # 3 

Nice looking fish. :applause Nasty looking watercourse.
Had the same experience this summer with some #18 wire-body nymphs. Isn't it great to still be able to learn something (or at least apply something you knew about for years but just never got around to trying?) Our small streams are desperate this year, too. Its as though Covid sucked all the joy AND the water out of life. Then again , our trout season closed Sept 15, so you've at least got an open season going....
brent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 pm • # 4 

Great report! Nothing like fishing puddles!

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply