It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Indianer excursion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:18 pm • # 1 

Smallmouth creeks are brown and floody in Indiana again, but I ain’t really complaining…just grabbing the lighter stuff and hitting the stillwaters. Various panfish have been fun and cooperative in the smaller waters. Mostly indicator/suspension with small nymphs within 1’ of surface last couple days.

Did get a few on top with spiders and small beetles, but dang are they tentative about taking anything at the surface. Subsurface still takes size and numbers, but it was nice to see anything smack a topwater so I took the discount and finished last couple days on that thought. Love late afternoon warming in the spring.

Full season in on the latest line experiments discussed last year and I’m impressed with them thus far. Global chip shortage putting the auto industry in ca-ca for awhile so I’ll have the time to play online and tell y’all about it in the near future. Sleeving materials inside hollow core spectra works very well for making light flylines. Unbelievably buoyant and durable, reasonable distance, and remarkably cheap.

Post subject: Re: Indianer excursion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:24 pm • # 2 

It's nice to see the hoosier panfish. "Sleeving materials", eh?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:03 am • # 3 

Looking forward to seeing pics of smallmouth soon! Nice fish!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:47 am • # 4 

Nice start! And I'll second, Strummer! Can't wait to see the Smallies!!

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:54 am • # 5 

It’s always nice to get out fishing. Good to see that you’re getting a few on top. By the way regarding the sunfish is that a red ear?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:41 pm • # 6 

softhackle wrote:
By the way regarding the sunfish is that a red ear?

Yeah, the majority of it anyway. ;) This is a small company pond so I can’t say for absolute purity on any sunfish species but this one looks very Redear to me. No idea who contracted for stocking so many years (decades) ago, but they had quite a variety pack. Bigger crappies look like pure blackies, but then I get these smaller one’s which may be a more recent addition…

Naturally occurring Blacknose or are they Magnolia Crappies (W fem x B male triploid hybrid)? I don’t really know, guess we’ll see how big they grow and bend the flyrod.

Like most of you, I don’t get around to the web much on the laptop for posting and hope to change that this year. Fishing, OTOH, is something I do at every opportunity if there is liquid water to lay a line in. Creeks are fickle, but local ponds and pits produce even on partial thaws so my part of Indiana ain’t bad to reside in. Nice early start this year in late February/March for flyrodding.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply