It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Red Eye on the fly
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:39 pm • # 1 

A few of the local red eye bass that I've caught this year. Hopefully I'll get some more before it gets to cold. The natives around here call them the Alabama brook trout due to their preference of fast moving water. Strangely enough I always find them in slow moving pools really close to riffles/waterfalls in very rocky rivers. The first is from the Tallapoosa river drainage and the following are all the Coosa river drainage. Interestingly enough all of the bass from different drainages tend to have different patterns/colorations. Notice the white around the caudal fins and eyes, pretty neat to be honest.

Post subject: Re: Red Eye on the fly
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:51 am • # 2 

Alabama brook trout! I like that! Looks like a great outing.
brent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 am • # 3 

Very nice! To me that looks a lot like smallmouth bass. Here in Brazil there is an exotic species that people call "black bass" but they're actually largemouths. Little do they know how many kinds of black bass actually exist. From a quick check using that Googly thing, there might be nine. "There are actually 9 recognized species including Alabama bass, Florida bass, Guadalupe bass, largemouth bass, redeye bass, shoal bass, smallmouth bass, spotted bass and Suwannee bass. All black bass species are generally elongated, have a larger mouth size, ctenoid scales and are carnivorous."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:30 pm • # 4 

Thanks for sharing, Blake! Such awesome fish.

From what I've read, Alabama now has four distinct species of Redeye identified from four different drainage systems (Coosa and Tallapoosa being two of those drainages). One of these days, I'll try to find a long weekend to complete the full slam. Of course I've been saying that for two years now and just haven't found the time...

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:41 am • # 5 

Great report!

How's the fight?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:54 pm • # 6 

They fight hard, but I would say no harder than a spotted bass the thing to keep in mind is that they just don't get nearly as big as spots. State record currently is 3lb 2oz whereas spotted is over 8lb. If you catch a 12 inch red eye you have a really nice fish on your hands. Unfortunately, they just get out competed in any big waters by large mouth and spots, so you can really only catch them in small creeks and tributary streams, which if you are like me and enjoy wading is truly a treat. I can go all day and not see one other human, which just is not the case on any big water.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:59 pm • # 7 

Got out and wade fished a local creek, included some of the waters you catch these fish in. As you can see the patterns and colorations vary somewhat. Notice the blue hue on the gill plates. Beautiful fish in my opinion its a shame they are outcompeted so hard by the Alabama spotted bass.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:54 am • # 8 

Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply